Why become a member? ×

Less rubbish than his usual stuff...and some good news

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

people are conned by very clever misleading ads all the time, usually it's big companies with a huge budget.

I'll bet a few on here have done mods to their basses thinking they know better than the manufacturers that built them then flogged them on trying to say they've improved them when they know they haven't really

His ads are an extreme example but anybody naïve enough to be taken in probably doesn't even know they've been done, as his feedback testifies too

i suspect, and always have, that he lies more to the naive than the nasty 👍

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

people are conned by very clever misleading ads all the time, usually it's big companies with a huge budget.

I'll bet a few on here have done mods to their basses thinking they know better than the manufacturers that built them then flogged them on trying to say they've improved them when they know they haven't really

His ads are an extreme example but anybody naïve enough to be taken in probably doesn't even know they've been done, as his feedback testifies too

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Do you mean his lies are born more from his naivety than from malicious intent, rather than him lying to naive, rather than nasty people? Apologies if I've not understood your point.

I'm a bit torn about him. Whilst one can sympathise with him (he is either not the full ticket or a brilliant actor), it's concerning that others who are equally naive may be taken in by him and even persuaded to hand him their hard earned in exchange for his creations. Vid's on his YT channel have quite a few comments praising his efforts (which I assume were not all posted by him or his immediate family). Ditto his feedback, as others point out.

I appreciate that it's a free country and people are welcome to waste their money if they wish, but, given that many who are likely to be taken in will probably not have a lot of spare cash (because people who are not that bright or who have cognitive issues rarely manage to make a lot of money), he is potentially harming those who may not be best placed to protect themselves. The fact that he may be in the same boat as them doesn't make it right that he should profit from them.

Tricky, eh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Do you mean his lies are born more from his naivety than from malicious intent, rather than him lying to naive, rather than nasty people? Apologies if I've not understood your point.

I'm a bit torn about him. Whilst one can sympathise with him (he is either not the full ticket or a brilliant actor), it's concerning that others who are equally naive may be taken in by him and even persuaded to hand him their hard earned in exchange for his creations. Vid's on his YT channel have quite a few comments praising his efforts (which I assume were not all posted by him or his immediate family). Ditto his feedback, as others point out.

I appreciate that it's a free country and people are welcome to waste their money if they wish, but, given that many who are likely to be taken in will probably not have a lot of spare cash (because people who are not that bright or who have cognitive issues rarely manage to make a lot of money), he is potentially harming those who may not be best placed to protect themselves. The fact that he may be in the same boat as them doesn't make it right that he should profit from them.

Tricky, eh?

I think he genuinely believes he's making improvements to instruments which are otherwise serviceable or would take a little work to get up to standard, when he cobbles odd bits together he most likely thinks he's creating something greater than the sum of it's parts. In truth the guitars he buys in would probably be better with just a proper setup, some shielding and a new set of strings.

Where I think it crossed the line is when he described his setups as professional and better than you could get from a shop which isn't true. Basically claiming to be the only game in town if you don't want to get ripped off and want an instrument that plays properly.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

18 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I think he genuinely believes he's making improvements to instruments which are otherwise serviceable or would take a little work to get up to standard, when he cobbles odd bits together he most likely thinks he's creating something greater than the sum of it's parts. 

My thoughts are as @lemmywinks above. Having somewhat painful personal experience of someone who i was close to move in a similar direction, I see no cynicism, only a (harmless in real terms) detachment from objectivity and reality  

• Like 2

On 15/05/2023 at 08:18, lemmywinks said:

THis might be worth a look for parts though, £200 and it seems to have a legit USA Fender neck on it (serial Z9384893)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193633699976?

Any fool can stick a dodgy serial number decal onto a cheap neck and sell it on to an unsuspecting mug. The headstock shape is slightly off and there's no drilled Walnut plug at the truss rod hole.

3 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I think this is has to be my all time favourite MDP product. :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194368628626?hash=item2d4145e792:g:9SoAAOSwkV1hQ11X

His description is wonderful:

“A new neck and almost new body, but my tools slipped a couple of times so there are some scratches. A full pro set up by me in progress but I spoiled the new high G string so that one is different. New musicman bridge and a musicman humbucker... plus Marshall Amp knobs.”

I honestly think that the guy is a genius and this is all performance art. He's playing a part and playing it very well indeed. One day we'll find out this is all part of the Turner Prize award.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rwillett said:

His description is wonderful:

“A new neck and almost new body, but my tools slipped a couple of times so there are some scratches. A full pro set up by me in progress but I spoiled the new high G string so that one is different. New musicman bridge and a musicman humbucker... plus Marshall Amp knobs.”

I honestly think that the guy is a genius and this is all performance art. He's playing a part and playing it very well indeed. One day we'll find out this is all part of the Turner Prize award.

That would be glorious, as you say he plays the part well. Turner plus a possible Oscar 👍

48 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

My favourite was the old Kay SG body with some random neck bolted on, made even less sense than that crazy bridge one.

My fav was the 12 to 6 acoustic guitar conversion, with the jack socked moved to the lower bout. I thought I had a copy of it but I can't find it. Either that or his 'Big Hands' 7 to 6 conversion where he butchered the saddles with a Dremel.

Found them!!

Screenshot 2023-05-26 160542.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 160627.png

Edited by NikNik
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 16:03, NikNik said:

My fav was the 12 to 6 acoustic guitar conversion, with the jack socked moved to the lower bout. I thought I had a copy of it but I can't find it. Either that or his 'Big Hands' 7 to 6 conversion where he butchered the saddles with a Dremel.

Found them!!

Screenshot 2023-05-26 160542.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 160627.png

12-6 String conversion... in other words, didn't have a 12 string set so used ever other hole...

Imagine buying that white electric 12>6 conversion, breaking strings at every gig and taking your pro luthier setup guitar into a local music shop (where only spotty teenagers who know nothing about guitars and can't do setups work remember) to find out what's wrong with it, only to be told "absolutely everything".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/05/2023 at 10:11, rwillett said:

Tbf, some of the stuff that has won the Turner is no better than his efforts.

• Like 1