Why become a member? ×

Anyone got good after 50?

roblpm

1 hour ago, roblpm said:

Wow lots of replies! I wish I had done it at 20 but should be gigging by the time I'm 60! Encouraging stuff!!

You must never had heard the story of young Jimmy. His parents got him a bass and amp for his 16th birthday along with some lessons.

After his first after school lesson his Mum asked 'what did you learn'. "I learned a quarter note riff on E" comes back Jimmy. 

Next week it's the riff on A.

Following week Jimmy doesn't get home until midnight. Mum is beside herself. 'What the hell Jimmy where the f have you been?'. "We did the riff on B and a turnaround and I had a gig at the Dog'n'Duck".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Having finally found myself in a gigging band a couple of years back at the age of 61, I definitely feel like I've improved since then. With me, it's a mental thing - I'm now a lot more confident in my abilities (as in "Hey, I *can* actually do this to an acceptable level!" ), and am therefore much more relaxed, and more prepared to make the odd mistake (some *very* odd) without worrying about it. It also helps that I seem to be the only one out of the five of us who can learn (and actually remember) a song arrangement quickly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

Having finally found myself in a gigging band a couple of years back at the age of 61, I definitely feel like I've improved since then. With me, it's a mental thing - I'm now a lot more confident in my abilities (as in "Hey, I *can* actually do this to an acceptable level!" ), and am therefore much more relaxed, and more prepared to make the odd mistake (some *very* odd) without worrying about it. It also helps that I seem to be the only one out of the five of us who can learn (and actually remember) a song arrangement quickly!

Good for you Tony. Keep on keeping on. Enjoy. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I hit 50 last August, and I've been gradually falling apart ever since. It's like someone flicked a switch 😄

Its all in your head Michael now stop whining and get on with it :laugh1:

Dave ( a youngster at 63 )

• Haha 4

Yes, definitely. A combination of two things. Maturity, which brought discipline and the confidence to know what I like and don't like and reject anything that I wasn't enjoying. Retirement which gave me time to do the things I want indirectly led to me being in a band that plays a wide range of songs. The latter meant I had to learn new genres and become more of an all round player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's good?  I took up bass at 56 and was amazingly awful at it for a long while.  But for the last few years I've held down the bass chair in two good local blues/rock bands and had a few very gratifying complements from people with 5x my exerience. So maybe I'm 'good' in a workaday way.  And I'm now approaching 69. The age, not position.

• Like 1

I echo everything already said. Joined my first gigging band at 58. Arthritis forced me to give it up but I still play along to Karaoke Version UK downloads (excellent) and will play a full 'gig' of an evening sat in my chair at home, playing one song after another straight through. My conclusions:

Bass lends itself to mature playing. Playing fast (unless it's in a jazz or fusion context) risks sounding too busy. It was Duck Dunn (IIRC) who said he tried to play as few notes as possible. That becomes easier with age. And your confidence and feel get better. I'm playing the best I ever have (age: 65) and enjoying it more than ever. 

Edited by Kitsto
  • Like 4

I'm 51, been playing since I was 19. Although I haven't played in a gigging band since 2011 (dad duties) I'm definitely the best I've ever been right now. Sometimes I go weeks without playing, but I never stop thinking about it, listening and learning and my touch has lightened so I don't feel that rusty when I do get stuck in again. 

I really should start doing yoga again though to get the rust of the rest of me 😄

35 minutes ago, lownote said:

What's good?  I took up bass at 56 and was amazingly awful at it for a long while.  But for the last few years I've held down the bass chair in two good local blues/rock bands and had a few very gratifying complements from people with 5x my exerience. So maybe I'm 'good' in a workaday way.  And I'm now approaching 69. The age, not position.

The Vicar has flushed shell pink for some reason I fail to fathom. 😇