Why become a member? ×

I'm depping for the first time in ages

I have a bass dep to do with my mates local band called Heroes

They play mainly new wave and ska. plus some Jam, Police (easy) and the Clash

I never knew playing songs by madness (One step beyond) Bad Manners(Lip up Fatty) and the Specials was such fun.

I've got 2 weeks to learn and brush up on about 35 songs.

Pump it up by Elvis Costello, wow what a great bass part

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, chaypup said:

Madness lines are really cool and go to some unexpected places!

Yes. A lot of the chords are inversions so when the Keyboard or Guitarist says they're playing one chord, often they're not and your root note will be an interesting choice. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That doesn’t sound long for 35 songs, I’d struggle with that, good luck it all sounds good 👍

I know about half the set, just a brush up really but the key stuff is the ska, I've never covered it, so there is some learning.

I keep a bass in my office and will be practicing at lunch times

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've got my first ever dep lined up for 26 August. Two gigs in a day. They've sent me a set list divided into three with 31 songs! I thought that was a lot.

Fortunately, I've played most of them before at some point, if only at rehearsals or just to learn them for fun. Lots of obvious ones... very much a list of crowd pleasers, rock and indie mostly with a bit of motown/funk.

Quite excited as if it goes well I'll have the confidence to look for more dep gigs.

• Like 3

On 09/05/2023 at 08:07, police squad said:

I know about half the set, just a brush up really but the key stuff is the ska, I've never covered it, so there is some learning.

I keep a bass in my office and will be practicing at lunch times

How did it go?

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

How did it go?

it went very well. About 3 weeks later I got the call again as te bass had just detached a retina.

I've now done 2 to 3 a weekend with them and will be until the end of July. It's certainly got my chops back up to speed

• Like 6

....and doing an amazing job! 😁

I'm the recovering player - two retinal detachments and a vitrectomy in my left eye. Had a single one in my right in 2017....never thought I'd go through this again.....

Sad to be missing some cracking gigs, but many thanks to Martin for stepping in and doing brilliantly. Legend! 🙏

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, spongebob said:

....and doing an amazing job! 😁

I'm the recovering player - two retinal detachments and a vitrectomy in my left eye. Had a single one in my right in 2017....never thought I'd go through this again.....

Sad to be missing some cracking gigs, but many thanks to Martin for stepping in and doing brilliantly. Legend! 🙏

Blimey. All the best for the recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1