Why become a member? ×

Vintage bass combo with 'vintage price'

4 hours ago, KingBollock said:

I only had the head, not the combo. The worst amp I ever owned. I absolutely hated it.

I remember them as the low rent alterative to HH if you wanted solid state in the mid 70s. Not great things from memory.

But Carlsbro were great.

My second amp was a Carlsbro Stingray Super head (I know it's a guitar head) with its dedicated Carlsbro 4x12 (guitar too, I know) cabinet fitted with Fane speakers.

I did a lot of gigs with it and weirdly it was sounding terrific with my fretless basses.

Could you also please stop putting an unnecessary "o" in the name! Thanks.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Strange how these amps get so much stick, yet my recollection of them is down entirely to the bass player in a Nottingham band in the early 80s who had the most phenomenal bass tone using one of these to amplify his Aria Pro II SB1000.

There you go. Always thought Aria SB's could make almost anything sound good 😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I used to play my Ric's Treble channel through a Carlsbro Stingray head into a 4x12.

Yup, that was my first proper rig; 4x12 was homemade - the local music shop was doing DIY “flatpack” cab kits in decent birch ply, with Celestion drivers.  It wasn’t all bad in the ‘70’s.......

I’ve  been as guilty as any on BC for slating Carlsbro Stingray amps, but to be fair; they did what they were supposed to do, i.e: amplify, and mine never let me down.    The combos were proper fugly, mind. 🥴

9 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Yup, that was my first proper rig; 4x12 was homemade - the local music shop was doing DIY “flatpack” cab kits in decent birch ply, with Celestion drivers.  It wasn’t all bad in the ‘70’s.......

I’ve  been as guilty as any on BC for slating Carlsbro Stingray amps, but to be fair; they did what they were supposed to do, i.e: amplify, and mine never let me down.    The combos were proper fugly, mind. 🥴

Mine blew its bridge rectifier. Which I fixed, but it was still annoying.

You are right, though, it did amplify. It made dullness slightly louder.

• Haha 2