Why become a member? ×

Vinyl? CDs? Streaming?

How1

Can we stop with the greengrocer's apostrophes when we're posting about CDs?  Just because a word or abbreviation ends with an s it doesn't necessarily need a leading apostrophe; it's CDs, not CD's.  Records, not record's.  Albums, not album's.  Does my freaking nut in.

Going for a coffee.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

Apple music, when I tried that, was horribly buggy and for some reason wouldn't sync to all my devices. Their usual troubleshooting steps (reboot, reboot everything else, wipe data and restore, wipe and don't restore) were of no use.

I've found this Apple Music is really bad & at the best "flakey" . Looking at the Hard Drive type devices mentioned here need to research & think what will be best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Can we stop with the greengrocer's apostrophes when we're posting about CDs?  Just because a word or abbreviation ends with an s it doesn't necessarily need a leading apostrophe; it's CDs, not CD's.  Records, not record's.  Albums, not album's.  Does my freaking nut in.

Going for a coffee.

Its terrible when people don't put an apostrophe in it's proper place.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Going for a coffee.

Is CD’s a contraction of compact discs, meaning the apostrophe is valid? A little like doesn’t.

1 hour ago, BoomTing said:

I've found this Apple Music is really bad & at the best "flakey" . Looking at the Hard Drive type devices mentioned here need to research & think what will be best.

Amazon Music is not much better. The main reason I signed up to it, was to download albums and have them offline for travelling/work etc. The first thing it tries to do is connect to the internet and then not detect your downloaded content. A few updates later it’s better, but not by much. I think I’ll stick to CDs and MP3s.

Edited by How1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Hang on, so vinyls isn’t vinyl’s now either? I realise my meds are pretty strong and English is my second language but even so, I’m struggling to get to grip’s with this new phenomenon 🤔

Edited by meterman
word’s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, meterman said:

Hang on, so vinyls isn’t vinyl’s now either? I realise my meds are pretty strong and English is my second language but even so, I’m struggling to get to grip’s with this new phenomenon 🤔

My mum (bless her) taught English and in later life taught English as a second language.  She literally forced me to learn about so many grammatical terms before I was ten years old.  In these times of the crazed masses adopting descriptive pronouns, oh how she'd chortle (if she was still alive) about how anaphoric words will probably become redundant in usage because we'd be too scared to use them.

Anyhow, nope it's vinyls, not vinyl's.  Gotta love those apple's.  😉

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sercet said:

Is CD’s a contraction of compact discs, meaning the apostrophe is valid? A little like doesn’t.

No, that would be c'd's. See Lewis Carroll, who spells the apostrophised version of "cannot" as "ca'n't" to satirise pedants.

29 minutes ago, Sercet said:

CD is a contraction, yes, but it's also an abbreviation of compact disc, with CDs representing the plural abbreviated term for compact discs.  There's probably some term like abbreviated contraction that can be applied, but I don't know.

It's all down to ownership; John's car for instance.  John owns the car, so it's John's car.  A pluralised CD's implies CD has ownership of something.  It's no more valid than banana's or sprout's.

In answer to @tauzero, the apostrophe in greengrocer can be greengrocer's (singular) or greengrocers' (plural).

Right, enough.  All this is making me giddy.

31 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's never "vinyls" (and certainly not "vinyl's"). Just vinyl will do.

And anyway the proper term is "records".

I know 😂 I only say ‘vinyls’ to upset my nerdy record collecting friends. And having done the research I can confirm it works a treat 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sercet said:

CDs can be a multiple of CD, CD's would be used as in "Where is the CD's case" the Case belongs to the CD.

But this is just the internet so it doesn't really matter.

To second language folks it is pointless really.

6 hours ago, vantagepointrocks said:

Which means I am slightly concerned that my choices of MP3 player is going to diminish during the next few years as industry seems to think everyone is happy to listen to music 
Through their phone. 

This is a concern for me as well.

As previously stated, I use an iPod, and the free space on it is rapidly diminishing. The iPod is well over 10 years old now, and the screen is starting to fail, so what I plan on doing the next time I upgrade my phone - probably around the end of next year - use the old one as a music player only, which should work as it's has considerably greater storage space than the iPod does so should last me as long as the screen is functional.

Mark

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's all down to ownership; John's car for instance.  John owns the car, so it's John's car.  A pluralised CD's implies CD has ownership of something.  It's no more valid than banana's or sprout's.

CD’s is neither a plural nor possessive. It’s a contraction. It’s more valid than banana’s as banana’s isn’t a contraction. 

1 hour ago, Sercet said:

CD’s is neither a plural nor possessive. It’s a contraction. It’s more valid than banana’s as banana’s isn’t a contraction. 

As @BoomTingpoints out, CD's is a possessive. Banana's is valid if used as a possessive, eg "if the banana's peel is green, don't eat it". As sprouts are Satan's sperm, I shall ignore anything to do with them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

This is a concern for me as well.

As previously stated, I use an iPod, and the free space on it is rapidly diminishing. The iPod is well over 10 years old now, and the screen is starting to fail, so what I plan on doing the next time I upgrade my phone - probably around the end of next year - use the old one as a music player only, which should work as it's has considerably greater storage space than the iPod does so should last me as long as the screen is functional.

This works fine at the moment. But you may need to keep an older OS on your computer as with each upgrade Apple seems to be making this harder to do. That is one of the many problems with Apple Music

B

15 hours ago, BoomTing said:

But this is just the internet so it doesn't really matter.

For someone like myself who is marginally dyslexic it does matter, a lot. I have taught myself to recognise word, letter and punctuation patterns which helps me to be able to read and understand what has been written. This is fine if everything I read has been properly copy read, checked, corrected and edited. Unfortunately none of this exists on the more interesting parts of the internet (like this site and other music forums).

There are several people here and on the other forums I read who probably have very interesting and important things to say but to me their posts just appear to be a collection of word-shaped letter combinations surrounded by random punctuation (if I'm lucky) and spaces. I simply don't have the time or energy to be able to decipher them (a lot of the time it would require copying their post into a text editor where I could manipulate it into something I can read and understand), and some are so bad that I have had to put the user on "ignore" because just looking at what they have typed made my brain hurt.

This post has taken me about 10 minutes to compose and check and there are still likely to be mistakes in it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For someone like myself who is marginally dyslexic it does matter, a lot. I have taught myself to recognise word, letter and punctuation patterns which helps me to be able to read and understand what has been written.

Sorry BigRed I did not mean it like that, however I also did not think of of that, so my bad. I was thinking more of International members, trying to remove the offence rather than add one.

Clarity is important in all communications, be them websites, email or WhatsApp etc.

The first part of my post was correct and useful. The second part and Your reply should be used to educate us all.

I don't usually post on here very often because of all the arguments and occasional offensiveness. I really did not mean to offend anyone, least of all Your good-self.  

Brendan

@BoomTing Don't worry, no offence taken, and besides I'm quite capable of scrolling past those posts I find unreadable. 

The reason I brought it up was because on another forum I frequent someone typed one of these (to me) incomprehensible posts asking for advice about about some instrument or software, and then someone else had tagged me as a person with the specific knowledge to be able help the OP with their problem. I had to point out that due to my dyslexia, and they way the post had been typed, I simply could not understand what had been asked, and if someone could re-phrase the question in a more legible manner I would do my best to supply the relevant information.

It doesn't really apply to this thread because we were side-tracked into a discussion on the correct use of the apostrophe, and OP's original question was posed in a perfectly eloquent manner, however it is, IMO, always sensible if you have an important question to ask on a forum like this that you query is typed in the most comprehensible manner possible because that way you can engage with the largest number of people who can potentially help you.

• Like 1