Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a cab for home use (please)

Waddycall

I’ve decided to take a break from bands and concentrate on developing my fretless skills. As a result I’ve sold my fretted bass and  my much loved Vanderkley 210LNT which was the best sounding cab I’ve ever had - but too much for home use only.

can anyone recommend a small cab for home use that has similar full range frequency response? I loved the sound of that Vanderkley but I want something small like a 110 or smaller really.

any recommendations?

41 minutes ago, Waddycall said:

Thanks chaps. Probably should have given a budget! Not really looking to spend more than say £300 so I think that probably rules out the suggestions so far.

This is helpful, thanks.  Maybe something like a Greenboy Crazy 8?  They don't seem to come-up for sale very often and I'm not sure that a commission would bring one in on budget, though maybe worth a look around?

The little PJB C2 @ £260:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/phil-jones-bass-c2-compact-200w-2x5-bass-cab/961093?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpea0RxUE7qI6ZrFx77b9UMdui5FsiZ3ABZQW9MqtwzCYmtgO_69ZCoBoCxgAQAvD_BwE

TE Elf 110 @ £265:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet/trace-elliot-110-bass-cabinet?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpeQEpYR2gW09mclU9Y5Q8ca9Dz2muVIWyZeWfQBXJkMgVsn3NOkfc9RoC11AQAvD_BwE

Eden EX112 @ £229 (can't find the 110):

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Eden-EX112-1x12-Compact-Bass-Cab-4-Ohm/3SP6?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpeVYKhUhYQzntiKop3U11dOOPMfBtZR074wifpcNLkJbWhln8NzieohoCVLgQAvD_BwE

A mate of mine picked up a used Ashdown Mii110 for not much over £100 and it's surprisingly capable, the same probably goes for their similarly discontinued OR110 which were being sold off on the cheap last year. A used EA Wizzy would also fit the bill as would a CXL110 if you can manage the weight.

EDIT - Bargain Eden EX110 in the Marketplace:

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

If you fancy a home build then one of these House Jam Micro Cab - Amps and Cabs - Basschat will do exactly the job you want.

If not then from your FRFR needs I'd go a different route altogether. For Christmas this year I got a pair of 5" nearfield studio monitors. As they are designed for mixing uncompressed drums and bass at high volumes in small rooms they can absolutely handle your bass. they are also designed to be ruthlessly honest so FRFR is about as good as it gets. They are active so you don't need an amp and you can drive them off a Sansamp or a multi fx unit like the Zoom B1Four. They are so good I don't bother getting the PA out for rehearsals with my duo, two vox, bass, guitar and drum machine. loud enough to make your ears ring if you want. I've not bothered getting a bass amp out at home . There is absolutely no need.

I went for the RCF Lyra but Yamaha and loads of others do equally good versions. Around £300 new for a pair and widely available used because people seem to upgrade studio stuff quite often.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

Well the schroeders have arrived! Thanks Mick - great dealing with you 👍.

yet to try them at volume but they look ace! Will probably split them into one in the spare room and one in the living room.

A47B81E1-5D34-4FC5-B71B-6F93A4B0F8DF.thumb.jpeg.1475836cf3454da12461b14d466b5ad3.jpeg

Edited by Waddycall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1