Why become a member? ×

Great bass player, but a Columbus copy in the style of for £1k?

prowla

Blimey.

"Grab yourself a bargain" says the seller. Or, you could get a Jazz bass copy from FaceBook Marketplace, pop down to HobbyCraft and get a glue gun and lots of shiny things and order a custom, mirror scratchplate.  Hey presto! A very similar outcome for well under the starting price of this piece. And you get to play with a glue gun, which is always fun.

• Haha 2

I'm a massive DD fan (one of my first influences) and this does look like a pretty accurate Billion $ Bass replica - but this is a £200 bass with £30 worth of mirrors & rhinestones stuck on it. And £5 or so for the superglue.

I think for £1000 I'd want Dennis to have stuck the mirrors on himself. And then show me how to play Gutter Cat & Dead Babies properly. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

TBH, I've always associated him with Gibson basses, due to that being the only bass I'd seen him with in photos from the first few albums.

That'll be the Frog Bass:

image.thumb.png.f585e565bf9e8a08994ee3b9845bb769.png

I'm off to pick up an old Avon EB copy for £60, some green Halfords rattlecan & a bit of tacky bling. Pretty sure I've got a scabby P pickup in the spares draw, probably doesn't work but that's just a detail.

My painstaking artistry will definitely be worth the extra £900. :D

• Haha 2

On 24/04/2023 at 14:26, tauzero said:

TBH, I've always associated him with Gibson basses, due to that being the only bass I'd seen him with in photos from the first few albums.

He used to advertise Beatle basses for Hofner ... I've got a pic of his advert for the 500/1 somewhere.

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

He used to advertise Beatle basses for Hofner ... I've got a pic of his advert for the 500/1 somewhere.

That is real dedication.

I often say that we are in the golden age of luthiery. This is becuase it is virtually impossible to buy a new bass that cannot be persuaded to play nicely with a good setup. My first bass was a Columbus. It was absolutely dire. 

Edited by Owen
because of the spelling. Always the spelling.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2023 at 19:35, Owen said:

My first bass was a Columbus. It was absolutely dire. 

My second bass, Columbus JB copy.   Beyond awful.

Hopefully no one will be suckered into buying the one in the OP.   As the saying goes; “you can’t polish a turd......”

1 minute ago, Shaggy said:

Hopefully no one will be suckered into buying the one in the OP.   As the saying goes; “you can’t polish a turd......”

It looks like this one has been rolled in glitter though.

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

To be fair they weren't all sh!t - I've had one or two Columbuses they played fine after a proper setup. Pickups were rubbish, though.

58 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

To be fair they weren't all sh!t - I've had one or two Columbuses they played fine after a proper setup. Pickups were rubbish, though.

Indeed.. I borrowed one for a bit when I were a lad and it was perfectly adequate, prob did a few gigs with it. 

I'd have one now for £50 or maybe 75 quid at a push, but a Grand 😧

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

The pickups were definitely the weakest component; the magnetic field on mine were so feeble than an ant carrying a staple could have easily walked across both pickups without losing the staple.   At age 17 I actually carried out my very first ever bass mod on it, replacing the neck pickup with a Gibson mudbucker taken out of my first bass (a short scale Kalamazoo KB1) - which made it into a pretty decent dub-monster.    But it’s still the only one of my basses that I remember with zero affection. 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shaggy said:

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

My first bass was a Columbus Jazz - it wasn't bad.

(My second was a Rickenbacker, which I've still got!)