Why become a member? ×

Moises app (removing instruments from song)

ped

Someone told me about Moises which allows you to upload a song and have it analysed - it then lets you remove guitar, drums, bass, vocals, keys - and it’s really accurate and easy to use. It’s also handy that it syncs your library across all your devices so I can be using it in my ‘studio’ and then play along with my mixes using my phone and boss wazas in the lounge. 

The only drawback is that you have to have the local file to upload. I assume they’re all like that but I just wondered if anyone has tried any similar apps/sites that allow you to put in a link for the track from YT music or Spotify etc?

Cheers

• Like 1

My experience is that Moises did allow links from YT. Then YT blocked it, some copyright issue. So now any time I want to use it I download the songs from iTunes. So I am interesred in alternatives as well. Although I imagine it's not that straightforward (Moised otself does not always get it right)

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merton said:

Moises allows you to post a YT link too, I’ve used it for that a few times :)

If I try to import a track with a link it says streaming services are not supported, it needs a local file

55 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

My experience is that Moises did allow links from YT. Then YT blocked it, some copyright issue. So now any time I want to use it I download the songs from iTunes. So I am interesred in alternatives as well. Although I imagine it's not that straightforward (Moised otself does not always get it right)

I see, that’s a pain. I can use a YT music downloader but it would be nice to remove the step. Not all allow YouTube music links and some are poor quality audio. 

• Like 1

You know what?

If you want to learn a song the least you could do would be to buy an actual copy.

Maybe the artist or songwriter won't get much/any of your money from doing so, but they definitely won't get anything if you "nick" it off a streaming service.

If find it incredible that the owner of a musician's forum is advocating IP theft.

• Like 2

I’m quite happy to pay, but want to know if it’s possible to import the track directly without having to download then upload the track wherever you get it from. Of course I already pay for YT and Spotify music. Both allow saving tracks for offline but I don’t think you can access them out of their platforms to import into Moises. 

It would be amazing if there was a plug-in that enables you to adjust the mix in the streaming app. 

https://www.lalal.ai

This website is one that I saw mentioned by Janek G on his YT channel. Looks pretty good but I think it might work out more expensive than just paying yearly for unlimited uploads. Might be worth a trial to compare. 

I’ve just shifted from Spotify to YT music but now I’m tempted to try Apple Music again because Moises can sync directly with your library of purchased tracks which makes the workflow a little easier. Is that how you do it @Paolo85 is it fairly seamless?

• Like 1

I use an amazing old app called Robick. Lets me cut bass very effectively or guitar for those songs. Also change the pitch and tempo independently of each other, it can also loop sections at slowed tempos etc. But once again you have to own the song to import it. It’s fantastic though. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2

No that's not how I do it actually. I do not have Apple phones or computers. I use old school iTunes on Windows. I download each song for something in the region of 99p. Because I do not have an iPhone, I can only uploade to Moises from my laptop (although once imported into Moises I can access it from the Moises app). It is a bit annoying. Part because I already pay for spotify, part because I have to go though the laptop. At the same time, I learn only so many songs, so not a huge problem for me

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

No that's not how I do it actually. I do not have Apple phones or computers. I use old school iTunes on Windows. I download each song for something in the region of 99p. Because I do not have an iPhone, I can only uploade to Moises from my laptop (although once imported into Moises I can access it from the Moises app). It is a bit annoying. Part because I already pay for spotify, part because I have to go though the laptop. At the same time, I learn only so many songs, so not a huge problem for me

I see yeah thanks. My use is definitely more scattergun approach - as soon as I hear a track with a tasty bassline I play along and jam around it and add it to my ‘play along’ playlist. I’m not really deeply ‘learning’ the track as such. I’m interested in making the workflow more seamless so that I can do it quickly when inspiration strikes as opposed to a methodical learning approach. 

I’m wondering if I can do an AppleScript or something that’ll do it, such as the one I use for opening Shazammed tracks in YT Music instead of Spotify which is the default. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

You know what?

If you want to learn a song the least you could do would be to buy an actual copy.

Maybe the artist or songwriter won't get much/any of your money from doing so, but they definitely won't get anything if you "nick" it off a streaming service.

If find it incredible that the owner of a musician's forum is advocating IP theft.

I totally get your point with new music. Personally, I’ll always try and see gigs, and buy merch direct as I’ve been told this is the best way to ensure the band get the most return.

When it comes to stuff I’ve bought in multiple formats I have fewer qualms with it.

35 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

I use an amazing old app called Robick. Lets me cut bass very effectively or guitar for those songs. Also change the pitch and tempo independently of each other, it can also loop sections at slowed tempos etc. But once again you have to own the song to import it. It’s fantastic though. 

For that I use Transcribe on my computer

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

34 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Moises seems good but I wish it has a one time fee rather than being subscription based.

Yeah same but then again in a few years there’ll probably be a free alternative. 

51 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah same but then again in a few years there’ll probably be a free alternative. 

If it's free it will be ad based, I'm always happy to pay a reasonable one time fee to get rid of them. The thing is, subscription based is how most of them are going now.  Hopefully there won't become a time when we'll have to keep a database or spreadsheet of all our app subscriptions to keep track of them all to avoid continuous payment of apps we no longer use.

Edited by TheLowDown

7 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

If it's free it will be ad based, I'm always happy to pay a reasonable one time fee to get rid of them. The thing is, subscription based is how most of them are going now.  Hopefully there won't become a time when we'll have to keep a database or spreadsheet of all our app subscriptions to keep track of them all to avoid continuous payment of apps we no longer use.

the most useful subscription model i have seen is one that has the option of being just one month or a permanent rollover.

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I haven't used that - but what is the difference between it and Spleeter/deezer which is just an open source project you run on your own computer?

I’ve just checked that out and it looks like it does a similar thing. 

Speaking of GitHub I’ve just downloaded a really good YT Music app someone made (as there’s no MacOS app). Works really well and has some useful plugins. 

If all you're wanting to do is remove the bass so you can hear yourself during playalong - just play it through your laptop's speakers - they'll soon put paid to that pesky bass being played better by someone with infinitely more talent than you.  Take that, Claypool! :D