Why become a member? ×

Warwick thumb bass advice

horrorshowbass

Hi guys, 

I have some GAS for a Warwick thumb and have been reading up on different woods years etc.

I understand the wenge neck gives that characteristic burp that the Thumb has.

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/2003-warwick-thumb-4-bolt-on/

Considering the above, any thoughts?

Like the pickup configuration as I'm used to jazz type instruments. 

Price seems decent and could part ex. Or save up for a "better" one? 90s, GPS, full wenge etc. etc.

Going for this vibe minus a string.

Any feedback appreciated.

If anyone considering selling hit me up :)

Thanks

Mick

• Like 1

For a bolt-on that looks decent I think. The bubinga body is nice as a lot of bolt-ons have ovangkol bodies and necks (similar tonal characteristics to bubinga but cheaper and not quite as pretty). Unless stated otherwise it is probably a GPS, there are a few Korean-made pro series on the used market but the ones I’ve seen tend to have gloss finishes. If you were saving up for a ‘better’ one you’d likely be looking at a neck thru which are pretty pricy these days and will sound a little different to the bolt on in the vid. 

IME there are two things. It has to be neck through for the tone.

Secondly, the neck dive and relative reach to the 1st fret is a big playability issue, and the reason why i didn't buy one, even though sitting down it sounded great. As soon as i stood up with it, i knew it wasn't the bass for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gwilym said:

IME there are two things. It has to be neck through for the tone.

Secondly, the neck dive and relative reach to the 1st fret is a big playability issue, and the reason why i didn't buy one, even though sitting down it sounded great. As soon as i stood up with it, i knew it wasn't the bass for me.

A big +1 on all these points about the Thumb from me. I fancied one from when they first came out, but every time I played one with a view to buying one it was a no-go.

Also bear in mind that all of the ergonomic problems of the four string  Thumb are exacerbated in the five string version.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

Small body, short top horn... 1st fret is further away than many have encountered on any other bass, which means a big 'NO' for many.  

"I understand the wenge neck gives that characteristic burp that the Thumb has."  -  You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the neck woods; it's the combination of many things that give that burp.

• Like 1

A few very good points have been made already.

I would add that the one in the video will sound different from the one you’re looking to buy because it’s a 5 strings. The pick-ups are positioned in a different way depending on number of strings (5er has both angled and closer to bridge).

Personally I’ve had 4 Thumbs, from different years in different woods and with different neck construction and number of strings, and have now settled on a 89 neck-through with EMG pickups and 3 band MEC eq, as it’s really the sweet spot for me.

Build quality is meant to be better pre 97 and post 2013, but prices are high. Neck profiles also differ through the years.

If you can go to BassBross in person they also sell a 91 NT, so you could A/B the two and decide if there is enough in it for you to justify the price jump. More generally, it’s a bass I would not buy without trying due to the very peculiar ergonomic profile (neck dive not an issue on my 89 but 1st fret reach takes getting used to).

• Like 2

I'd say that a Thumb almost falls into 'Marmite' bass territory. Some folks love them; others not so much. In my time I've owned fourteen Warwick basses and moved all of them on except the Thumb neck-through fiver. It's a heavy beast, but with a wide, suede-backed strap, neck dive is much reduced, although a full hour's set with one, leaves you feeling like Quasimodo at times. The sound - mine is a two-band - is certainly 'burpy' and no other bass I own can get near to that Warwick voice. I'd also say in response to your comment about a Streamer, that these do not really sound anything like a Thumb, contrary to the video, and they are much 'easier' on the shoulder. See if you can find one near you and give it a go: it's the only way you'll ever know if you'll gel.

Best of luck with the search.

Just to muddy the waters, a Spector?

Sort of similar for some, for others not.

Warwick were sued by Spector after a build agreement ended up in going salty. Serial offenders, they tried to pass off de-decaled Fender guitars as their own early on before selling Spectors as their creation. They, Warwick were started by the son of the defunct Framus owner. 

Only played one Thumb, a customers. Nice thing, lovely build quality but, Jesus H Christ this one had a tone that could cut glass, supremely articulate, incredibly unforgiving, everything one played was heard, including the bits you'd rather not😊

They like, Spectors, always find a home though if not for you. 😎

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iconic said:

Warwick were sued by Spector after a build agreement ended up in going salty. Serial offenders, they tried to pass off de-decaled Fender guitars as their own early on before selling Spectors as their creation. They, Warwick were started by the son of the defunct Framus owner. 

Well that's certainly a different slant!  Warwick licensed the 'Ned Steinberger' design from Stuart Spector until he sold the company, the license was challenged due to design changes (weak to say the least but it worked for them).  The Streamer however is simply a ripped off Ned Steinberger, no doubt at all! 

Where the heck the scrubbing of Fender decals and selling Fenders comes from I have no idea... that's a new one on me!  :/  

I think I would want to see that one in person before buying even at that price as it looks a little on the tired side to me. Particularly would want to run my hand over the back of the headstock to see whether what looks like the joint coming apart is really the case. Otherwise - if you want a Warwick Thumb you want a Warwick Thumb and a Streamer isn't a Thumb, not even close. If it's a 2003 model then it's not a Pro Series but a "proper" German Warwick. 

I've recently sold on a Korean Pro Series Thumb bass that had an ovangkol body with a maple neck and wenge fretboard - the sound really isn't down to just the neck. You wouldn't have been able to tell it apart from my German-built Thumb with ovangkol neck and body and wenge fretboard.

And totally with @snorkie635 on the Marmite aspect. You've really got to play one to see if they work for you. I got my first Thumb bass after 15 years of playing a Hohner B2A "cricket bat" Steinberger style thing, so the reach on the Thumb was nothing too difficult, but a wide strap is a must. The Thumb I have now came from @CookPassBabtridge, bought it just over a year ago (I think...) and it's all I've played since (which has been amusing to those who know me because I had a reputation for "new week, new bass" for quite a while). Nothing else comes close and I've been slowly selling off everything else. GAS cured. 

Edited by anzoid
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Where the heck the scrubbing of Fender decals and selling Fenders comes from I have no idea... that's a new one on me!  :/  

And a Gibson Flying V. 😊

Wilfers debut Frankfurt trade fair in the early 80s, plus a proper Warwick bass, a Nobby Meidel headless model. He sold zero guitars, but took orders for 20 odd Nobbies. 😎

Thanks for all your input lads. 

Yeah I love my ergonomics (Ibanez SR fanboy) so will try one out in person maybe, play the waiting game.

I do love the tone though. Its so characteristic and jumps out every bit as much as a J, P and Ray tone. Albeit it has been overused in the modern metal sense. (Bbbr deng anyone?)

I have a late 80s / early 90s custom Thumb NT and used to have a more recent bolt on version as well. My impression was that sonically they were pretty similar. There is a video on youtube where somebody compared a Thumb BO with a NT, and I think it answered that question pretty decently. Fretboard wood (notwithstanding the scepticism surrounding the topic) might make a difference, especially with NT with an ebony fretboard. In any event, the characteristic sound is given by the pick up position rather than anything else. 

I second those who said that a Thumb's voice is absolutely unique. Other Warwick basses, especially with MEC pick ups, are voiced somewhat similarly, but they do not sound the same on account of the rather unique pick up placement. I don't use mine as much as I'd like, but there is no arguing that it is an incredible instrument.

In terms of versatility, it depends. I find that it goes well with a number of genres—much like a Stingray does—though of course if you are aiming for a fat P bass tone you are probably doing it wrong. 

462210823_Screenshot2023-04-10at10_33_44.thumb.png.96e99e76e7da5adafc20d6a8af077a95.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, anzoid said:

I think I would want to see that one in person before buying even at that price as it looks a little on the tired side to me. Particularly would want to run my hand over the back of the headstock to see whether what looks like the joint coming apart is really the case. Otherwise - if you want a Warwick Thumb you want a Warwick Thumb and a Streamer isn't a Thumb, not even close. If it's a 2003 model then it's not a Pro Series but a "proper" German Warwick. 

I've recently sold on a Korean Pro Series Thumb bass that had an ovangkol body with a maple neck and wenge fretboard - the sound really isn't down to just the neck. You wouldn't have been able to tell it apart from my German-built Thumb with ovangkol neck and body and wenge fretboard.

And totally with @snorkie635 on the Marmite aspect. You've really got to play one to see if they work for you. I got my first Thumb bass after 15 years of playing a Hohner B2A "cricket bat" Steinberger style thing, so the reach on the Thumb was nothing too difficult, but a wide strap is a must. The Thumb I have now came from @CookPassBabtridge, bought it just over a year ago (I think...) and it's all I've played since (which has been amusing to those who know me because I had a reputation for "new week, new bass" for quite a while). Nothing else comes close and I've been slowly selling off everything else. GAS cured. 

Awesome to hear you’re still loving the Thumb, A! Have you seen the new Ltd editions that have a ‘flip flop’ finish not dissimilar to the peacock colour on your one? I like to think Warwick saw our pics and thought it looked so good they stole the idea haha.

Anyway, how do I pull this back on topic…oh yes, as others have said it’s defo a bass you should try before you buy. The 4 does sound different to the 5 because of the neck pickup placement. In the end it wasn’t quite the one for me but it was easily the most comfortable bass for slapping I’d ever laid my hands on. I did enquire how much a 4 string with the 5 string pickup placement would cost me at the custom shop a few years ago and even then the price was eye watering…dread to think what it would be now! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, biro said:

I have a late 80s / early 90s custom Thumb NT and used to have a more recent bolt on version as well. My impression was that sonically they were pretty similar. There is a video on youtube where somebody compared a Thumb BO with a NT, and I think it answered that question pretty decently. Fretboard wood (notwithstanding the scepticism surrounding the topic) might make a difference, especially with NT with an ebony fretboard. In any event, the characteristic sound is given by the pick up position rather than anything else. 

I second those who said that a Thumb's voice is absolutely unique. Other Warwick basses, especially with MEC pick ups, are voiced somewhat similarly, but they do not sound the same on account of the rather unique pick up placement. I don't use mine as much as I'd like, but there is no arguing that it is an incredible instrument.

In terms of versatility, it depends. I find that it goes well with a number of genres—much like a Stingray does—though of course if you are aiming for a fat P bass tone you are probably doing it wrong. 

462210823_Screenshot2023-04-10at10_33_44.thumb.png.96e99e76e7da5adafc20d6a8af077a95.png

Thats gorgeous 

• Like 1

A NT 4 string bass was my holy grail bass - and I managed to find a lovely 1985 model around the time of my 29th birthday 

it was amazing

but after 4 years it spent more time on the wall looking lovely than being played… and traded it. 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

A NT 4 string bass was my holy grail bass - and I managed to find a lovely 1985 model around the time of my 29th birthday 

it was amazing

but after 4 years it spent more time on the wall looking lovely than being played… and traded it. 

At the time of my 29th, Leo Fender was still repairing radios! 🤣

35 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

At the time of my 29th, Leo Fender was still repairing radios! 🤣

Will it make you feel even older I I say mid 1985 was within 6 months of being a year of birth for me and I would have been a newborn!