Why become a member? ×

Who else finds this both hugely pessimistic and more than a little terrifying?!?!

beardybass

He's not actually that fat any more for those who haven't seen him in the last few years. He's shed a shitload of weight and looks quite trim now.

This is one off Matt Garrison's site.

EDIT: Of course there's every possibility he might have put it all back on again...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='475579' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:05 PM']He's not actually that fat any more for those who haven't seen him in the last couple of years. He's shed a shitload of weight and looks quite trim now.[/quote]

Yeh, but why let the facts get in the way of a brilliant joke!? (I was almost rolling on the floor in hysterics) :)

But no, I think he is talking rubbish.

[quote name='The Funk' post='475301' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:38 PM']I like it when people do that. I try to do that myself from time to time but I don't have the stature (physical or professional) of AJ.[/quote]
Classic technique in courtroom drama cross examinations though. :) Oh, and any number of Jeff Berlin rants too.

He's only resorting to an emotive argument because he's got nothing else to use as evidence. The most persuasive arguments in my limited experience usually let the facts speak for themselves.

[quote name='RhysP' post='475282' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:17 PM']Anthony Jackson spouts an incredible amount of horseshit.
He's right to be worried about the demise of the large recording studio as they're the only places that can comfortably accommodate his great fat arse.......[/quote]

... where he'll no doubt lay down a kick ass mother of a bass line that most of us could only dream about doing.

It's an easy call on recording studios, the writing was sort of on the wall in the 70s when the Mobile got going.

I feel he's way off on live music though. Discos will persist but I think we've seen the peak of the wave for electronic dance music. Stadium gigs serve a purpose for those who have 'bands to see before I die' lists. Outside those goldfish bowls live music has a vibe you can't get from recordings. A huge number of Youtube clips I've seen have been awful sound and camera wise, fine for punters to say 'Look I was there with my mobile' but unless gigs sprout Greateful Dead style bootlegger zones then I don't expect them to improve.

I'm making a promise to myself to seek out more small gigs and open mics this year.

[quote name='RhysP' post='475282' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:17 PM']Anthony Jackson spouts an incredible amount of horseshit.
He's right to be worried about the demise of the large recording studio as they're the only places that can comfortably accommodate his great fat arse.......[/quote]

Sir, I salute you.

He looks like a great big bloated toad to me. Probably a great player if you're into that type of thing though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='475802' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:54 AM']The guy's expressing a personal view and you lot just heap insults!![/quote]

His personal views are unfounded, sensationalist and clearly an attempt to garner attention, and further more he isn't offering any positive response, he is just happy to spout that the end is nigh, and sit down and wait for it. That stinks of attention grabbing soundbite crud.

I have absolutely no respect for that attitude. He therefore deserves insults in abundance IMHO.

Shame, I really do wish he would shut up and play. He's not at all bad at that.....

[quote name='lowdown' post='475798' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:46 AM']So are you into geezers with fat arses? :rolleyes:
:)

Garry[/quote]
That would be great as in "BIG", not "Hey, that's great!"
Maybe the use of the word "great" to denote size (it's proper meaning, BTW) does not occur in the colloquial language of Essex.

[quote name='RhysP' post='476014' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:14 PM']That would be great as in "BIG", not "Hey, that's great!"
Maybe the use of the word "great" to denote size (it's proper meaning, BTW) does not occur in the colloquial language of Essex.[/quote]

Sorry i cant help you out with that one mate,
I am from Lundun and new to Essex, different colloquial lingo altogether.

AJ rocks, playing wise, and wind up wise.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I love Anthony's playing, but I do not love his blinkered and ultimately short-sighted bitterness. The future of music could be bright if all the 'has-beens' weren't so tied up in believing that some horrific musical apocalypse was just round the corner.

[quote]The guy's expressing a personal view and you lot just heap insults!![/quote]

It's the sort of view that serves only to damage people's perception of music in the future, and I think direct criticism of his notion of pessimism in that particular article is well-founded. He actually strikes me as incredibly arrogant anyway in interviews.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='476058' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:49 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAiRfPNQdJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAiRfPNQdJY[/url][/quote]

Interesting use of a Sei Single Cut bass there... I think I know who that chap is as well... ahem, K**in *ind*ey - good work fella!

M

But then again - he IS f***ing good:

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='476049' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:40 PM']I love Anthony's playing, but I do not love his blinkered and ultimately short-sighted bitterness. The future of music could be bright if all the 'has-beens' weren't so tied up in believing that some horrific musical apocalypse was just round the corner.

It's the sort of view that serves only to damage people's perception of music in the future, and I think direct criticism of his notion of pessimism in that particular article is well-founded. He actually strikes me as incredibly arrogant anyway in interviews.[/quote]
Very well put on both points.
He's a superb player no doubt, but there's an inherent arrogance in the vast majority of the articles I've read by him that is really off-putting. The subtext always seems to be "You are all just bass players, but I'M ANTHONY f***ing JACKSON and I inhabit a higher plane than you will ever possibly attain".
Jeff Berlin takes a lot of crap for the things he says in print but I think Jackson is far worse.