Why become a member? ×

April ( no fool) composition challenge

lurksalot

HOT off the blocks today then.

An inaugural win, with a most excellent and popular entry from @AndyTravis  who was right on the ball with his choice off picture for us.

"I’ve had this saved for years - wanted it to be an album cover…I just reminded me of how I was (pre fatherhood) - A class clown, I still chuckle when I see it - it was an early crash helmet test."

image.png.b4073b23fb9da47173cee82897fd246f.png

This could be a barrel of fun ....sorry!

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the April fools Day truce truce has just expired .

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for the  23rd which means you'll probably have till tea time on the 24th ....if I'm back from my holiday in time! 

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think I’ll struggle this month , I haven’t had a chance yet and we have grand little lurks for a few days over Easter , I’ve committed to going to Nantwich for the music festival , work is full on next week then it’s away on holiday for week , just in time to get back to post the voting thread! 

Here is my contribution to the April 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Andy Travis.
The studio burnt down in 1927; all that's left of the film being shot is this intriguing poster photo and a fragment of the film's piano roll, restored here in tribute. We can only speculate on the blockbuster that was sadly lost.
Doctored MIDI piano files, sewn together and rendered 'human', played on the aptly-named Kontakt Emotional Piano. Minimal treatment; none was necessary
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy...

'The MIDI file performances are copyright (P) 1998 by Rodney Sauer, and you cannot use them to make money without my (ie: his...) permission. But you may use them for nonprofit enjoyment, including accompanying movies.'

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

Y'all will be pleased that a friend who sings in a blues band came to visit this week. And we had a good 'ol fiddle and a rummage through the clichés...

Which means a) I don't have to "sing" b) it's not crazed atonal jazz.

More's the pity! Next time, eh?

• Like 1

Righto…

so I’d said the idea of my image was that I was an absolute moron for years until fatherhood - a perpetual child.

In my teens I lived, breathed and slept the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

@Beedsteroften reminds me of that when he’s selling something tenuously linked with RHCP, sound or visually (we have a mutual affection for Modulus Flea Basses).

Anyhow - I started off with BSSM but loved One Hot Minute….

So - Crap John Frusciante impression, meet Crap Dave Navarro impression.

All GarageBand, All Yamaha - what’s new.

And possibly a slight grey area sample of Gordon Ramsey…

https://on.soundcloud.com/L63w3aopbcbtU8ZX9

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

Well bizarrely grand little lurks fancied a bash on the keyboard before he went home after a few days with us… so I hit record as he blasted through various soundscapes on the FX.

I should have had the insight to record the MIDI as well , then I could have added some extra sounds without making it a mission, still, I reckon I can edit his performance to create some infant symphonic type affair.

I should get something in before my hols:).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought to myself, "that geezer has got the blues"! So that's wot I done...

Me and my (singing) mate had a session with my remarkably smooth Ludlow Stolen Youth "English Spirit" (as they can't legally call it whisk(e)y) and came up with just about every blues cliché short of having woken up this morning... Guitars by both of us, with one sneaky bit being Amplesound Les Paul VST (can you tell which? 😁). Bass is a Lightwave fretless overdriven through Focusrite preamp - no other processing. And drums are Clyde Stubblefield plate mix kit part programmed in EZ drummer. All lightly polished with Ozone 9.

• Like 4

Here's mine for April and I've actually done it with time to spare.

Our hero just can't look on the bright side. Whether it be impending world catastrophe or piffling, inconsequential matters, he gets so wound up it all just makes him want to bash his head, as he explains to us alongside a Bo Diddleyesque riff.

Guitar is a Harley Benton TE-52 using a Vivlex delay pedal, bass an Ashton electro-acoustic, beats are a combination of Hydrogen drums and a loop from Looperman. Recorded in Wavepad and Audacity.

Words don't come easy (unless you press 'Reveal hidden contents')

Spoiler

The state of things is not good, let's be clear

There's war in Ukraine, climate change is here

You could pull up the covers and just stay in bed

Or go and beat your brains out by bashing yer head

Or go and beat your brains out by bashing yer head

Bash yer head

You wake up sharply from a midday snooze

And the TV's switched on to GB News

You watch for ten minutes then you go to your shed

Run up to the panelling and bash yer head

Run up to the panelling and bash yer head

Bash yer head

My friends egg me on but I'll have to tell 'em

That this is not good for my cerebellum

Why don't they ever wanna have a go instead?

I get so annoyed I wanna bash me head

I get so annoyed I wanna bash me head

Bash me head

Bash yer head

Bash yer head

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 3

This so nearly didn't happen. I expected it to be a bit tough as we were away with the kids... What I didn't expect was to have a bloody stroke the day after we got back. Still, medicated to the eyeballs, and with most of my left arm movement and strength back (by what miracle I don't know)... Here goes...

My entry to the April round of the Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen my the previous winner Andy Travis.

The picture invoked memories of doing stupid things with groups of friends, and how while time marches on and we're flung to the far corners of the earth, if we got together today we'd probably be just as daft.

Tech Stuff - Cubase Elephants 10, my old Westbury acoustic, Jake 5 on bass (I couldn't quite get it together on DB, which was my initial plan), and Monster Drums on, er, drums. There's a sprinkling of piano mixed well back for a bit of thickening, and the vocals are treated with CLA vocals.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, NickD said:

This so nearly didn't happen. I expected it to be a bit tough as we were away with the kids... What I didn't expect was to have a bloody stroke the day after we got back. Still, medicated to the eyeballs, and with most of my left arm movement and strength back (by what miracle I don't know)... Here goes....

Bloody hell , stay safe and best wishes for a full recovery 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

This so nearly didn't happen. I expected it to be a bit tough as we were away with the kids... What I didn't expect was to have a bloody stroke the day after we got back. Still, medicated to the eyeballs, and with most of my left arm movement and strength back (by what miracle I don't know)... Here goes...

My entry to the April round of the Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen my the previous winner Andy Travis.

The picture invoked memories of doing stupid things with groups of friends, and how while time marches on and we're flung to the far corners of the earth, if we got together today we'd probably be just as daft.

Tech Stuff - Cubase Elephants 10, my old Westbury acoustic, Jake 5 on bass (I couldn't quite get it together on DB, which was my initial plan), and Monster Drums on, er, drums. There's a sprinkling of piano mixed well back for a bit of thickening, and the vocals are treated with CLA vocals.

Love that - well done, all the best with your recovery x

• Like 1