Why become a member? ×

April ( no fool) composition challenge

lurksalot

This is my entry for the April 2023 Basschat.co.uk Composition Competition, inspired by the photo chosen by @AndyTravis.

I'm telling the story of the death of silent movies and photoplay through the piano roll backing for a silent movie illustrated by the photo. The ageing and dying piano is overtaken by the rising chatter of the 'talkies'. I present "Photoplay Dies".

I really tried to play this in in one take... but have to admit there's a little bit of MIDI editing. Every time I think I have it down... then that pesky red light comes on... 
Tech stuff: DAW - Cubase 12. Piano - Modartt Pianoteq Stage. Ageing on the dialogue - Izotope Vinyl (free). Long reverb as piano dies - Exponential PhoenixVerb.
Sound effects from the BBC archive © copyright BBC free for non-commercial use. BBC Sound Effects

• Like 4

I'll pop this in here, it seems a very 'avant-garde' and self indulgent arty inspired symphonic masterpiece ... or an edited take on a 7 year old's key board plonking .

but I like it :D

I shall start up the voting thread if we are done 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I'll pop this in here, it seems a very 'avant-garde' and self indulgent arty inspired symphonic masterpiece ... or an edited take on a 7 year old's key board plonking .

but I like it :D

I shall start up the voting thread if we are done 

put me in mind of this…

IMG_2101.gif.6d088347cb1c9f87833f1679fd8c3dfe.gif

I liked it.

• Like 1