Why become a member? ×

new Ampeg Di preamp

danbowskill

It looks good. I'd buy one right now if it also had a tuner that'd bring the convenience of an all-in-one like the Fishman platinum Pro or EBS microbass 3 (or some of the digital multi-fx pedals). As it is though it'd need to be teamed up with a tuner pedal - which  probaly means needing a power brick and small pedalboard, then it isn't much more cost effective or convenient than having seperate pedals - I have a Broughton SV pre and could add a Spectracomp and Hotone IR/DI for similar overall price, size, and additional functionality. 

Edited by SumOne

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@Bigwan this comment of yours really caught my eye:

"As much fun as I’ve had with the Stomp over the years, it’s been lacklustre for me in a LIVE setting.  The Ampeg SGTDI gave me everything I required with minimal tweaking."  

Could you elaborate for us a bit please on what the difference you're hearing between the two that makes the Stomp "lacklustre" whereas the SGTDI really hits the mark?

Read the whole post again taking note of the speech marks...

16 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Read the whole post again taking note of the speech marks...

Aha sorry - you're quoting Jon Willis, which actually makes it doubly poignant for me, given that his Stomp patches have a big fan-base amongst Stomp users.

• 1 month later...

This pedal has been a long time coming from Ampeg. Great to hear it sounds superb and has a whole host of features.....

But flipping eck ampeg, if you really want it to be an all in one pedal, put a tuner in and have digital storage for your analogue settings like the vt deluxe. Then - instant pre sets for smooth, rock, drive etc - that's what most players need nowadays. Not many will tweak at pedal level per song or worse, mid song.

Frustrating as I'd have this pedal in a heartbeat otherwise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, la bam said:

This pedal has been a long time coming from Ampeg. Great to hear it sounds superb and has a whole host of features.....

But flipping eck ampeg, if you really want it to be an all in one pedal, put a tuner in and have digital storage for your analogue settings like the vt deluxe. Then - instant pre sets for smooth, rock, drive etc - that's what most players need nowadays. Not many will tweak at pedal level per song or worse, mid song.

Ampeg and Line6 are both part of Yamaha so they probably would say they have more fully featured options in their portfolio 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Yeah I’d be all over that

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 19:44, CalDeep said:

Did anyone manage to bag one?! Really want to see how they compare to the Origin stuff. Got an ampless tour this summer and I think my trusty LeBass might be retiring! 

Yes, got one from GAK last week.

Still working through its many settings.

Initial impressions are mixed... good EQ, DI with cab sim records well.

Compressor is lousy - either does nothing or pops, so basically unusable.

SVT mode works best for me - I'm after a wee bit of Ampeg grunt in the lows, which this box does, but lots of the stuff is irrelevant. Maybe if you want lots of distortion.

I'll persevere and try some IRs, but so far I'm preferring the SGFX Beta-V pedal for tones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigguy2017 said:

SVT mode works best for me - I'm after a wee bit of Ampeg grunt in the lows, which this box does, but lots of the stuff is irrelevant. Maybe if you want lots of distortion.

I'll persevere and try some IRs, but so far I'm preferring the SGFX Beta-V pedal for tones.

I find the compressor works well enough, sufficient to stop using my LMB-3. I use it very sparingly as it’s very sensitive to adjustments. 

12 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I like the pedal as it is although I agree a tune / mute would be perfect 

I like the fact that the preamp and tone / drive is all analogue only the Cab sims IR are digital 

A great in front of amp gigging tool 

I put it in the effects return of my GK Legacy bypassing that preamp and using just it’s power section.

11 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Oh really?

I did have the old Beta pedal and it definitely had a baked in heavy bass character. I sold it because I used it for a few songs and when switching on/off it would make a noise which wasn’t going to work for me live so I sold it.

Used my SGT-DI pedal in front of my TH700 amp last night and they pair very well together 

Its a lovely warm valve like tone and adds a depth of sound with added EQ and drive 

The SGT compressor worked well 

A big improvement on sound compared to the older model 

Don’t daisy chain other pedals off the supply to the SGT-DI as it doesn’t like it ( feint whine ) 

If you have a decent isolated power supply for pedals it’s fine but daisy chain and it’s not happy. 

I know daisy chaining is frowned upon but I thought it’s worth saying !! 

Just played my Jazz through it and small EQ tweeks had it sounding like a PBass with a touch of added clarity 

The SGT circuit adds a warm tone and a very full tube like gritty tone. 

This sounds as good as my old V4B and CTM100 except without the weight !! 

• Like 2

Ok I love this thing. I think it’s the single best thing I’ve bought for bass and there’s been a lot of things.

this evening I decided to try the headphones out and aux in for the first time.

I usually practice loudly using my GK legacy 800’s power section with  a Barefaced One10 and a TC Helicon active speaker for music and never liked headphones with guitar or bass.

This is sounds better, having 6 cabsims to choose and all the rest of it I’m sticking with it and the Origin Cali76 to practice.

The onboard compressor is total trash though,it just seems to limit a bit but doesn’t bring volume up if you play soft or actually compress so I leave that thing off.

Edited by RikiB

Hi all, 

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience using this with IEMs, amd whether it feels tubey at all with a little drive engaged? 

Also, whether anyone has used this and the Bassrigs through IEM and can compare? 

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The whine can happen with digital pedals sharing power (the cab sim is digital). Happens with EHX digital stuff, but not TC - perhaps they have better power supply filtering going on!

I can confirm if you switch the cab sims mode to off the whine virtually disappears. 
Im going to run my SGT as the only pedal so not an issue for me. It’s very quiet powered on its own 

• Like 1