Why become a member? ×

Fairly cheap new rig - , 8x10, 6x10 or 2x10/4x10 combination?

RussFM

I'm thinking of picking up some new cabs, as I'm struggling to hear myself at practice with just a 4ohm 2x10 on the floor. After spending the last few years with my small but loud GK Neo 212, I'm thinking since I need to cut costs, I may as well forget any ideas I have about going lightweight, and enjoy having a decent size stack behind me before I can afford to go small and lightweight again next year. I've had a look around, but there are just too many options, so wondering what other BCers have done to get a decent stack on a budget.

My amp is 500w at 4ohm - the most sensible option would be a 4x10 and 2x10 (300w each), but I could go for something bigger and keep my current 2x10 if needed. My amp only has one speak-on out, so the cabs would need to have input and output.

These are what I've found. Cheapest option seems to be the MAG 810, but would this be too big to handle by myself? At gigs it would be fine, but getting it back into the house on my own may be an issue? I've never seen one in the flesh. The ABM looked pretty small for an 8x10 last time I saw one though?

Ashdown MAG 810
Ashdown MAG210 and MAG410
GK Backline 2x10 & 4x10
Warwick 610 Pro
Laney Richter 4x10 x 2
Hartke VX 4x10 & 2x10
Peavey TVX 210 + 410

Any experiences or other suggestions? Obviously it doesn't have to be new, I'd prefer second hand, much cheaper, but I'd like matching cabs.

Edited by RussFM

[quote name='RussFM' post='474362' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:58 PM']I'm thinking of picking up some new cabs, as I'm struggling to hear myself at practice with just a 4ohm 2x10 on the floor. After spending the last few years with my small but loud GK Neo 212, I'm thinking since I need to cut costs, I may as well forget any ideas I have about going lightweight, and enjoy having a decent size stack behind me before I can afford to go small and lightweight again next year. I've had a look around, but there are just too many options, so wondering what other BCers have done to get a decent stack on a budget.

My amp is 500w at 4ohm - the most sensible option would be a 4x10 and 2x10 (300w each), but I could go for something bigger and keep my current 2x10 if needed. My amp only has one speak-on out, so the cabs would need to have input and output.

These are what I've found. Cheapest option seems to be the MAG 810, but would this be too big to handle by myself? At gigs it would be fine, but getting it back into the house on my own may be an issue? I've never seen one in the flesh. The ABM looked pretty small for an 8x10 last time I saw one though?

Ashdown MAG 810
Ashdown MAG210 and MAG410
GK Backline 2x10 & 4x10
Warwick 610 Pro
Laney Richter 4x10 x 2
Hartke VX 4x10 & 2x10
Peavey TVX 210 + 410

Any experiences or other suggestions? Obviously it doesn't have to be new, I'd prefer second hand, much cheaper, but I'd like matching cabs.[/quote]
plenty of cheap cabs around at the moment.ive used a abm 2x10 with the 4x10 abm and to me it didnt sound much different or louder.wouldnt a 600w 4x10 be loud enough?if not get two :)

[quote name='RussFM' post='474493' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:07 PM']ABM would be nice... what are they going for second hand at the moment?[/quote]
abm 4x10 you can get for £200 it might be a couple of years old though.there is a abm 8x10 on the bay at the moment.dont know how easy they are to get about,just need casters and a lifting bar i guess.forgot to say there are some abm 4x10's for sale on here,as well as my 2x10 :)

[quote]wondering what other BCers have done to get a decent stack on a budget[/quote]

Recently mated an Ashdown Mag 210 combo with Hartke 4x10 TP cab :rolleyes: (well, times is tight)

Sounds OK for £290 for the whole "rig" :) and more or less moveable. Love 8x10's but a tad impractical unless you've got a mate to help shift it. And a big car. And a forgiving spouse.

Edited by skankdelvar

There are bargains to be had. I've just got an as new Genz Benz 6x10 for £350 off ebay. I was recently using a cheaper rig and I found it wanting, so finding the Genz at that price was a nice suprise. Try looking for slightly obscure brands which may be overlooked by the general bass playing public so you dont have to compromise on quality!

Edited by ben604

I grabbed an ABM 810 for £550 new from the shop :) you might find one half price second hand. Ashdown stop producing them so if you get it new, you should get a decent price as they are getting rid of the stock. Never played the MAG, but for the difference in price I would say go with the ABM series, much better quality and looks. In terms of portability...it's quite manouverable, it's heavy but having said that, i went up and down the stairs with it a few times, and unlike a 4x10, the 'proper' weels and cab angle helps. Just miss a couple of back rails and the corners could be stronger. In terms of sound....I can tell you, I play a GK1001RBII and a single 4x10 just wasn't doing it for me. With this beast behind me...I've never been happier...or LOUDER!

If you're having trouble hearing yourself then two 8 Ohm 2x10" cabs stacked vertically end-on-end should solve that issue as you'll end up with speakers at head height. I don't have personal experience of it, but you're also supposed to be able to get a sound approaching an 8x10" cab that way too. Supposedly having speakers set side-by-side have absolutely no benefit and you'd be much better served having your speakers in line in a single column. I would try this out in a shop first as it would certainly be your cheapest option.

Reverb's 10% off offer was looking pretty tempting on a £450 ABM 810, but I managed to keep the credit card in my wallet! I think realistically, an 8x10 would be too much hassle and I'm better off looking at 4x10/2x10 combinations. I am quite tempted by that stacked two 2x10 idea. Could get a couple of Peavey's pretty cheap to try it out.

I'm also quite taken by the Eden Nemesis stuff, anyone know what connections they've got on the back, can't seem to find any pictures or information!

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1357652621' post='1926013']
I'd have hoped that the OP is sorted by now. It's been nearly four years!
:-D
[/quote]

:lol: I never noticed that! See these folk who dig up old threads like this one!

A 2x10 + 4x10 (or a 6x10) would have more straight in front volume but with a poorer dispersion than the vertical stack.

(that's assuming that the cabs are all from the same manufacturer's range).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357673819' post='1926545']
A 2x10 + 4x10 (or a 6x10) would have more straight in front volume but with a poorer dispersion than the vertical stack.

(that's assuming that the cabs are all from the same manufacturer's range).
[/quote]

im confused? a 610 is only in most cases a speaker lower than the 210's stacked no?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1357674064' post='1926557']
im confused? a 610 is only in most cases a speaker lower than the 210's stacked no?

andy
[/quote]

A 6x10 (or the 4x10 with a 2x10 popped on top) has drivers side by side (regardless of what way you stack it, unless you put the 2x10 vertically on the 4x10).
Putting drivers on the vertical plane narrows the dispersion. The wider the driver, the narrower the dispersion. Putting 2 10" drivers next to each other has the same dispersion as a 20" driver.
You don't need to worry too much about vertical dispersion, infact it's probably beneficial if the sound isn't bouncing off the ceiling (like a single horizontal 2x10 would possibly do).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357674577' post='1926569']
A 6x10 (or the 4x10 with a 2x10 popped on top) has drivers side by side (regardless of what way you stack it, unless you put the 2x10 vertically on the 4x10).
Putting drivers on the vertical plane narrows the dispersion. The wider the driver, the narrower the dispersion. Putting 2 10" drivers next to each other has the same dispersion as a 20" driver.
You don't need to worry too much about vertical dispersion, infact it's probably beneficial if the sound isn't bouncing off the ceiling (like a single horizontal 2x10 would possibly do).
[/quote]

is this why in 412's (bass cabs anyway) the speakers are staggered?

andy

I'm confused as to what the OP's current rig is.

Something about a 4ohm 2x10, a Neo 2x12 and a 500w amp?

Pretty sure that's the makings of an awesome rig already! Whatever you buy, make sure that you pay attention to the ohmage of your cabs.

A 500w amp normally means it'll deliver something like 300/350w into a single 8ohm cab. In the instance of a combo the speaker will already be 8ohm. In order to get all the juice out of the amp, you need an 8ohm cab. In laymans terms, the 500w from the amp will be split evenly between each speaker/cab.

As I'm confused as to what gear you actually have, I'll refrain from adding advice about what cabs you should buy. Personal preferences are GK RBH cabs and Aguilar cabs.

Truckstop