Why become a member? ×

What to take to a "get to know you" jam...

dclaassen

Reasonably, I have a jam tonight with some folks I don't know. I am hoping to get some work out of it. I am pondering which bass(es) to take. I don't want to look pretentious, but do want to show these folks what I am about. 

The jam is in a small village, so I am not too worried about getting stuff stolen. What and why..

MPV-5...this is my main rehearsal  and performance bass. I am getting to be more of a 5 string guy all the time. 

Jazz Bass (optional)...4 string FSO

Fretless Spectracore..(optional) just becuase..mwhaaaa...

It is supposed to be a rock cover pub band kind of deal.

Thoughts?

oh, and, no, I am NOT going to buy another bass for the occasion.....:)

Keep it simple and impress with your personality and playing, rather than gear. Bring the MPV-5 and the Jazz, but leave the Jazz in its case, there as a robust backup. If the MPV-5 is your main bass, stick to it. I've held auditions where lads were swapping over instruments and it just conveys someone who a) doesn't know what they like and b) wants to be seen to have lots of gear, neither of which are endearing. Pub rock is straightforward and unpretentious, be the same.

• Like 3

You are being pretentious if you have bought expensive gear and can't play it, or you turn up to a jam with a roadie and 15 basses.

Take your normal gear and play the donkey off it. Get the work you are looking for because you are good at what you do and can show these guys that you deserve their consideration.

• Like 2