Why become a member? ×

Double Necks

Waddo Soqable

On 20/03/2023 at 12:14, toneknob said:

Jonas Hellborg with Wal fretted/fretless

In the olden days of the internet (well, about eighteen years ago) I used to search around for disc copies of Hellborg's records. I spent a considerable amount getting hold of some of them. The original Jonas Hellborg Group album is one I could never find for a good price, though I did get a copy of 'e' that was pretty cool. I was glad when Jonas started working with Shawn Lane as that heralded a golden age. He started playing Status Graphite basses too which sounded a lot better to my ears. Some of the best bass tones I've ever heard came from Jonas on a Status. 

What a musician! What a thinker! A true visionary on the bass. Back when he recorded his first solo albums I don't think anyone had recorded an album of unaccompanied bass guitar. 

On 20/03/2023 at 14:51, Woodinblack said:

Isn't that double neck in the Steve Hacket video Nicks Beggs Mason doubleneck, or do they both have an identical one?

I found this video last night and began wondering whose bass it was when I saw Nick playing it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Indeed! Be interested to see a decent pic of it, if anyone knows who he is / what band he was in? 

I don't know the guy, but did a picture search, and it's probably guitar and bass player Heinz Fröhling, who also played Mellotron.
Apparently, he was in prog trio Schicke Führs Fröhling.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

I don't know the guy, but did a picture search, and it's probably guitar and bass player Heinz Fröhling, who also played Mellotron.
Apparently, he was in prog trio Schicke Führs Fröhling.

Just checked them out, definitely one for the prog rock thread! 

I'll have a listen to the whole "ticket to everywhere" album when I've got an hour or so! 

On 02/04/2023 at 18:49, BassTractor said:

Pansy!  If he was any kind of a man he'd have bolted both necks onto a Mellotron and had a triple threat!

A

You're a bassist man!  Your role in the band is to stay out of the limelight and groove your donkey off, making everyone else sound like they know what they're doing, whilst receiving little to no credit for how tight and groovy the whole band sounded.  This is our lot.  We are bassists, our shoulders are broad, our backs are strong and we can bear these problems with good grace!

• Like 1