Why become a member? ×

Double Necks

Waddo Soqable

11 hours ago, toneknob said:

Smashing, any idea of the serial number? Just curious. Similar to mine but you have bridge covers (don't think mine ever did), mine has two pickups on the bass side.

Afraid not - it's long gone. That photo is 44 years old. Noticed you had two pups on the bass. Obviously a show-off 😂

I had this one for a good while, then got fed up of trying to shoe-horn the case into the car. I hardly ever touched the guitar neck and eventually sold it. The problem I found was the difference between the guitar and bass parts when switching through a bass amp. I'd probably find it quite useful now. The bass was lovely to play.

11157416_1056989047648801_81051316604899

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 6

On 18/03/2023 at 09:19, velvetkevorkian said:

Was quite taken with this for a while when I started out (owned by a TB moderator)

17519markdouble-med.jpg

John could be a real derrière but his collection of Conklin basses was impressive. I'm thankful for the support he gave Bill Conklin as it meant that he could keep doing business and making basses for great players like Bill Dickens. This double neck was always a bridge too far for me though, despite the amazing woodworking. It looks like it weighs as much as the moon. The picture of John playing the fretless neck gives the impression that it is extremely bulky and unwieldy. 

Something about double necks has always appealed to me but when a lot of bass designers struggle to a great ergonomic instrument with one neck, the scope of design problem becomes clear. On that basis, the Basslab DN1000 is easily the bass I GAS for most these days. I can imagine it being an extremely light and resonant instrument due to the materials that Heiko uses. 

FStoj21.jpg

Kai Eckhardt's Schack double neck was probably quite manageable too. I've only ever seen him using it once, on some footage from the old John McLaughlin Trio in 1989. 

Edited by Chris2112
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Chris2112 said:

It looks light it weighs as much as the moon. The picture of John playing the fretless neck gives the impression that it is extremely bulky and unwieldy. 

Yeah, I have a Bill Dickens sig which is huge and weighs a tonne, I can't imagine handling two stuck together.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 20:38, Waddo Soqable said:

I bet this bloke doesn't actually play the guitar half.... 

IMG_20230317_184802.jpg

Judging from the stack of Sunn Model Ts that's Takeshi of Boris.
He does play the guitar part.

He uses a lovely custom made twin neck now:
boris-band-japan@2000x1270-1392x884.jpg

• Like 2

I had the double neck ibanez (the EDS1275 copy, but bolt on), loved that thing, had to sell it when I had no money. Would still like another one but prices are crazy now. However, one day maybe I will get a 2404 guitar / bass double neck. I think if I do I would modify it to have a stereo output with the guitar on one channel and the bass on another. And move the switch that switches between the neck as that was always in a bad position.

Or maybe just something from aliexpress!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

John could be a real derrière but his collection of Conklin basses was impressive. I'm thankful for the support he gave Bill Conklin as it meant that he could keep doing business and making basses for great players like Bill Dickens. This double neck was always a bridge too far for me though, despite the amazing woodworking. It looks like it weighs as much as the moon. The picture of John playing the fretless neck gives the impression that it is extremely bulky and unwieldy. 

Something about double necks has always appealed to me but when a lot of bass designers struggle to a great ergonomic instrument with one neck, the scope of design problem becomes clear. On that basis, the Basslab DN1000 is easily the bass I GAS for most these days. I can imagine it being an extremely light and resonant instrument due to the materials that Heiko uses. 

FStoj21.jpg

Kai Eckhardt's Schack double neck was probably quite manageable too. I've only ever seen him using it once, on some footage from the old John McLaughlin Trio in 1989. 

That blue hybrid looks quite nice.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Or maybe just something from aliexpress!

Ali Express is always very tempting....

I was a bit wary, but having bought some headless tuners off there with no issues I think I'd be fairly comfortable with buying a bass there now, they seem to be fairly kosher by all accounts.