Why become a member? ×

Where do you sit your board

BassAdder60

At a gig, taking a chance and up at the front where I'd mainly be standing playing..

In rehearsal, on the deck in front of the bass amp/cab

As to why, well at a gig you want it nearby rather than have to wander back to the amp (and trip over leads and stuff) 

At rehearsal it doesn't really matter, so with the amp and other kit.. 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

At a gig, taking a chance and up at the front where I'd mainly be standing playing..

In rehearsal, on the deck in front of the bass amp/cab

As to why, well at a gig you want it nearby rather than have to wander back to the amp (and trip over leads and stuff) 

At rehearsal it doesn't really matter, so with the amp and other kit.. 

I guess up front or in front if you need to step on a pedal or two mid song but I find in front of amp when the only pedal I step on is the tuner and that is before sets 

Just now, BassAdder60 said:

I guess up front or in front if you need to step on a pedal or two mid song but I find in front of amp when the only pedal I step on is the tuner and that is before sets 

Indeed, if it's set on one sound throughout and the tuner's all you need, that's much safer 😁

• Like 1

I have never actually played a gig where I used pedals (or effects at all). But currently, my cab sits on a home-made riser that’s on casters. The riser is hollow and has a drop down front that acts as a support for the pedal board that slides out onto it.

Because all connections (psu, amp switches and cables (though obviously not from bass to front)) run through the back, there’re no exposed cables to worry about, and I can keep them nice and short.

• Like 2

Since my effects are now complexly MIDI controlled via the backing for both bands I play with, the actual unit can go anywhere  on stage. Currently I have in the conventional place in front of where I stand most of the time just in case something goes wrong and I have to make the patch changes myself, and also because each patch has the name of the song it is for, it acts as a very expensive set list display.

• Like 1

I tend to put mine behind me at the foot of the bass cab. I only switch things on/off a few times in the set - just a bit of chorus or distortion on about 4 songs.

We have too many gigs with punters tipping beer all over the place to risk having it anywhere near them (I didn't realise how expensive it would be to replace it if it blew up)

If we have a barrier or a decent stage it can go in front 

Edited by Mudpup

Usually in front of where I'm standing, at the foot of my mic stand. On cramped stages, anywhere I can reach with my right foot. That said, and after reading some of the comments above, I rarely switch effects mid song so it could go at the foot of my speaker. I have been thinking about a split board with 'always on' effects (pre-amp/DI and compressor) sat out of the way and the spot effects (phase, chorus, boost and tuner/mute) out front. But there would be a confusion of cables, and for some of the gigs I've played in the last 18 months, no room.  

Most of my gigs these days are with in ear monitors and I use a DJ stand/table thingy for my little 2U rack that houses my wireless systems, so I usually have my board next to it up out of the way off the floor. I'm not a big effects user so most of my board is always-on pedals (preamp, compression) and those pedals that get switched on and off (tuner, drive) are done by hand between songs as I don't currently need to switch anything in or out mid-song. It also has the added benefit of being out of the way of our singer who's as blind as a bat and tends to walk all over whatever is on the floor no matter how many blinding LED's it has 🙄😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I leave mine at the foot of the speaker cabinet; I only use a tuner and an Ampeg Scrambler overdrive, so I leave them out of the way.  If I have them at my feet I always feel like I'm going to fall over them.  When playing guitar I have a bigger board with PSU, switcher and seven pedals on it and I have to have it under my mic because I spend half the set tapdancing on the bloody thing.

• Like 1