Why become a member? ×

Summer Festivals

The Funk

I'd like some clues as to how to get the festival gigs. I have a new project that will work well in festivals but no track record as a band - plenty of individual milage though, some festival related but no experience getting the gigs :)

Any guides, clues, pointers, ideas, Welsh contacts?
TIA

[quote name='OldGit' post='474003' date='Apr 28 2009, 09:54 AM']I'd like some clues as to how to get the festival gigs. I have a new project that will work well in festivals but no track record as a band - plenty of individual milage though, some festival related but no experience getting the gigs :)

Any guides, clues, pointers, ideas, Welsh contacts?
TIA[/quote]

+1 for the gloucestershire area!

Booked for 2 festivals this year so far.

Beachdown in Brighton. Apparently we're quite a way below Fatboy Slim on the bill but above the Sugarhill Gang! :)

And the Saint Paul Soul Jazz festival in the south of France. We've played this one twice before. 2 bands per night over 3 nights. It's a really nice long weekend away staying in a beautiful part of the world. Other bands on the bill are Lefties Soul Connection, Sweet Vandals, Rare Groove Orchestra, The Perceptions and Phat Fred. Should be a right larf!

Edited by Ray

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='473939' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:03 AM']We've got a couple booked. Only little local ones! But they're festivals nonetheless. Hachfest and Brandon Buzz so far i think. They'll be my first big open air gigs! But i'm not scared :rolleyes: haha[/quote]

Brandon Buzz? We're booked to play that too!!! Played it the last couple of years.... don't expect too much from the organisers except complete chaos on the day. Gill (the organiser) is lovely though and really tries to look after your needs. You'll be playing to a good four/five hundred plus several thousand milling about. Sound system is good but better start praying for good weather. :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='473957' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:22 AM']Yup, a couple of charity ones during the summer and Alchemy in September which is late for summer really.[/quote]

I should point out that we've had to pull out of Alchemy as the organiser wasn't even prepared to offer us anything for doing the gig - not even a contribution towards travelling expenses. We do a lot for charity gigs etc but even we can't afford to make that much of a loss for a gig that's selling tickets for £50 a pop (weekend/camping ticket).

We're playing Glastonbury (main stage) and Reading (NME tent) this year. Not really. :)

We're doing a 24 hour gig in June, doing two slots, 3am acoustic slot (my debut singing) and proper band at 6pm, can't wait, imagine it will be total chaos though!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='473957' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:22 AM']Yup, a couple of charity ones during the summer and Alchemy in September which is late for summer really.[/quote]
We're also doing alchemy, and Cockermouth so far.