Why become a member? ×

Fender AVRI '62 Jazz (1992), please read (try before buy) - *SOLD*
£900
London

Clarky

* Background: I bought this on the forum earlier this year but it turned out to be way too heavy for my glass back at 10.18 pounds, despite looking fabulous and playing/sounding beautifully with TI flats on. I sold it on eBay but then had to refund the buyer as the neck went bowed with higher tension roundwound strings than the TI flats. He took the bass to a luthier who added a washer to rectify the recessed truss rod nut but declared that the truss rod is broken and needs replacing. Subsequently, the BCer who sold this to me said that his luthier had checked the bass before selling and given it a clean bill of health. I believe the BCer sold the bass to me in good faith and have no reason to doubt his version of events.

Having taken the bass back I have since tested the truss rod with higher tension flats (Dunlop 45-105) and, while the neck is certainly quick to bow after swapping from TI flats, the truss rod nut does appear to tighten the neck to compensate, so that medium/low action is possible: I cannot see that this would be possible if the truss rod was completely broken. Its now back to wearing TI flats again, with the truss rod adjusted for the lower tension, and plays really nicely - as before. *

So .... I am selling as is, on the assumption the neck is viable and does not need replacing (which may well be correct based on one of two luthiers and my testing). If a potential buyer is a fan of a Jazz-with-TI-flats combination I am very confident they will like this bass.

However, (1) I have further reduced the price given the disputed history and (2) I would like the buyer to be fully satisfied with what they have, so will send on a trial basis with payment only in the event the buyer is happy. As before it comes in very 1990s fugly but protective hard case. 

Collection SW London, south of Hammersmith Bridge, or deliver within UK at cost (which I will cover until the buyer confirms he/she is happy and then add to the total price). If the buyer is unhappy and returns the bass, I will cover both courier costs and punch myself in the face. Can't say fairer than that!

Edit: obviously this offer applies only to UK-based BCers with a decent amount of positive feedback! Also, the bass will come with a padded, neoprene 3.5" wide strap which I bought to help distribute the weight on my shoulder better.

20230211_115636.jpg

20230211_115620.jpg

20230211_115606.jpg

20230211_115600.jpg

20230211_115555.jpg

20230211_115550.jpg

20230211_115542.jpg

20230211_115533.jpg

20230315_163358.jpg

20230301_134624.jpg

20230301_134628.jpg

20230301_134619.jpg

20230301_134529.jpg

20230301_134509.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 16

Guest Gabriel1918

Sorry to hear of your woes with this Clarky.  Kudos to you for such an honest, upfront listing and more than fair conditions for sale.  All the best with this.

2 hours ago, Gabriel1918 said:

Sorry to hear of your woes with this Clarky.  Kudos to you for such an honest, upfront listing and more than fair conditions for sale.  All the best with this.

Exactly this!

• Thanks 2

I had the same thing happen with, bizarrely, the same model of bass @Clarky, AVRI. Bought it on here, it played fine with lightish strings, sold it on here, buyer installed some La Bellas and off went the action, not to return no matter what. The truss rod didn't break, just appeared to be on strike. It went to a luthier IIRC and some form of dark art was performed bringing it back to it's former glory. Lesson learned, stay away from high tension strings on skinny necked basses.

As to your integrity and honesty old chap, never in doubt 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a set of TIs on my Jazz but changed them for a set of La Bella Low Tension Flats, a very nice combination imho and one I will stick with.

I was able to loosen the truss rod a smidge with the LFTs too.......

This bass looks amazing, GLWTS.

• Thanks 1

I am going to put this on Hold for a day or so as I have just ordered a Gruv Gear Duostrap to see if I can cope with a 10.2 pound bass if I have straps on both shoulders. If this experiment doesn't work out I will restore this to full sale (and probably end up selling the Gruv Gear strap at my usual BC loss!) So, for those interested in the bass, please give me a day or two's grace! 

• Like 1

I spent an hour this afternoon playing the bass and its fabulous in all respects bar the weight .... actually nicer than my old Precision ... hence my last chance saloon attempt to see if I can cope with >10 lb. We will see

• Like 1

Definitely cannot use the dual strap as went on a supposed "beginner's" horse ride yesterday, was bucked off and have cracked ribs and damaged right shoulder. Cannot play a bass at all in fact as also lacerated left index finger on rein while being thrown. Woop

• Sad 6