Why become a member? ×

CHEAP DEAL> Tech21 PSA2 blowout at Thomann

fretmeister

On 03/03/2023 at 15:18, spyder said:

Sending mine back, it far too noisy. 

I don't understand why manufacturers make products that hiss. Drives me mad.😡

I am sure they don't do this a conscious design choice, and also fairly certain that either your unit is faulty, that is not working as intended, or that you don't use a proper isolated and filtered powersupply and that the unit it self isn't actually the source of the noise you are hearing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am sure they don't do this a conscious design choice, and also fairly certain that either your unit is faulty, that is not working as intended, or that you don't use a proper isolated and filtered powersupply and that the unit it self isn't actually the source of the noise you are hearing.

I used the power supply that came with the unit.

On 06/03/2023 at 15:02, Tech21NYC said:

What were you plugging the unit into? The unit is analog but has very low self noise. 

Bass into the unit and put to an Acoustic Image Clarus amp.

When the bass is plugged into the amp direct there is no noise. When the unit is put between the bass and amp there is hiss that varies with which patch is used. 

1 hour ago, spyder said:

Bass into the unit and put to an Acoustic Image Clarus amp.

When the bass is plugged into the amp direct there is no noise. When the unit is put between the bass and amp there is hiss that varies with which patch is used. 

The PSA 2.0 is a preamp and not a typical stompbox pedal. If going into the front end of an amp the amp should be set for flat response or try bypassing the preamp section of your amplifier and plugging into the effects return jack of your amp. Please note that on many amps this will bypass the master volume control so take care.

The majority of presets in the unit are for lead guitar. Presets 30-39 were written for bass guitar so I would start with those. The PSA has an all analog signal path and responds much like a vintage tube amp. It has no noise gate.  Higher settings of Drive and high end will produce more noise relative to cleaner amp settings with more flat EQ.  Even if a preset "seems" noisy in a quiet room, the signal to noise level is such that when playing (and guitar volume is full up) you will hear no noise. 

The other thing is that the pedal should be gain staged properly with your system when going into the front end of an amp. This means the volume level of your presets should be the same  as your bypassed (preset 00) level. 

Edited by Tech21NYC
  • Like 2

It’s as said above - if you pop it infront be prepared for noise unless you properly tweak, but of course that’s the beauty - take a preset, patch it to an empty slot and tweak to your settings and then save

some of the guitar sounds work very very well for bass

I have had a chance to play it properly and I was very impressed, it has very useable sounds (and I hadn't even got to the bass presets at the time!).

Sure some of the high gain ones hiss, but that is the way with high gain, the normal gain presets don't. 

I think it is one that I need to spend a bit of time with working out what stuff does though as it isn't totally apparent, and the controls do all interact with each other.

Anyway, very happy with it. In fact just need to get chorus / echo and pitch shift and I can get rid of the hxfx!

• Like 1

Impressed with mine, and fun to hear some sounds I remember dreaming of when I was younger and poorer :)

Add a little reverb, and it goes a long way. Really good clean/low gain/crunch sounds especially. It's funny comparing it to a modern digital unit. The digital one sounds great, but the PSA really sounds like a combo amplifier mic'd closely... It's not a better/worse situation, just a different thing. I need to experiment with it and using an external cab sim, but I have no real complaints. And it's tiny!

Love it.

I haven't experimented a lot with it on bass, but what I have sounded very nice. Put a compressor on the front, direct to desk, sounds great. I'm (slowly) building a IEM solution with bass, based around a Zoom B6 and a BackBeat unit... but I don't use much in terms of FX in most of the gigs I play, so teh PSA might be a great substitute and make the whole thing much more portable. I could fit the PSA, the minimixer, tuner and compressor on a small board, and probably have room for an additional pedal.

No real noise issues here, either.  

• 1 month later...

I use the plugin a lot when mixing songs if the bass sound is a bit flat and bland. I've just bought the PSA 2.0 to experiment with it live for both bass and guitar. I couldn't pass it up at that price!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Thunderpaws said:

I’m disappointed to have missed this deal…maybe there’ll be more similar soon. Is the blowout because a new version is coming? 

I doubt it. It hasn't been out long.

Thomann do this sort of thing every now and again. You have to be ready though as the blow out stuff sells really fast.