Why become a member? ×

NBD - Nordstrand Acinonyx

Frank Blank

On 19/03/2023 at 17:30, ezbass said:

:facepalm:

However, 2 x Jabba builds… :i-m_so_happy:

:facepalm: exactly.

I have these two gorgeous basses (and a third on the way) that are perfect for the music we play but I also buy other basses, just to try out, for no real reason, and that is simply because I can, but they are also a distraction, so I am going to spend the money that I recycle by buying this extra bass and invest in a nice lens instead.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

:facepalm: exactly.

I have these two gorgeous basses (and a third on the way…

And what would this be then?

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I am going to spend the money that I recycle by buying this extra bass and invest in a nice lens instead.

Camera gear, that other great GAS creator (I’m currently looking at replacing my 4/3 body).

36 minutes ago, ezbass said:

And what would this be then?

Jabba is making me a matching pair of basses, a fretted and fretless. I have taken delivery of the fretless and he is in the process of building the fretted bass.

36 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Camera gear, that other great GAS creator (I’m currently looking at replacing my 4/3 body).

What are you looking to replace it with?

5 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Jabba is making me a matching pair of basses, a fretted and fretless. I have taken delivery of the fretless and he is in the process of building the fretted bass.

What are you looking to replace it with?

Ah, I thought you already had the matching pair. Fair play to you, Sir.

Possibly, either a Lumix G90 or, if I have a rush of blood to the head, a GH5. 

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ah, I thought you already had the matching pair. Fair play to you, Sir.

No. I bought an earlier fretted build of his to 'see me through' so to speak until my fretted 'twin' is built.

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Possibly, either a Lumix G90 or, if I have a rush of blood to the head, a GH5. 

Excellent.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Funny old game this bass malarkey. I played the Acinonyx exclusively up until early last week when I put it back into the rack and picked up one of my @Jabba_the_gut built basses and wondered why I play anything else. I stick by everything I said about the Acinonyx, it is a superb bass, but it is a distraction from my Jabba basses which are absolutely suited to the music I play. I'm going to spend a lot of time over the next six weeks trying out the HX Stomp vs a Grace Design Alix in a rehearsal setting to really see which suits best and, of course, I'll be using the Jabba basses because they are so suited to our music. I'm kind of saying all this because, yes, I'm selling the Acinonyx tomorrow but, and I realise this sounds odd, the Acinonyx is so good it's actually distraction from the perfect basses (thanks Jabba) for me and my music.

</end self-analysis>

What I like about this is in a hyper-GAS-filled forum addicted-to-the-latest-shiney-new-thing - you’re actually talking about gear that is suited to the music you play, and about how you can best focus on that. 
I applaud that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

What I like about this is in a hyper-GAS-filled forum addicted-to-the-latest-shiney-new-thing - you’re actually talking about gear that is suited to the music you play, and about how you can best focus on that. 
I applaud that. 

Acquiring new gear because it suits a new genre or band is my main thought process when it come to GAS. If I was honest with myself, however, I’d probably come to the conclusion that I’m just using that as an enabling mechanism, which I’m actually OK with. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I applaud that. 

I think this is it. I have finally realised (or perhaps admitted to myself) that the buying and selling of basses has (for me) become something that I'm doing because I'm enjoying it, which is fine, but I'm thinking about it more than I am about my actual musical needs which are wholly and completely satisfied by the two basses I already have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, nordygrrl said:

This thread is better than Real Housewives of Beverly Hills... Oh wait, you're brits and mostly men and probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

In what is a no doubt Real Housewives of BHesque twist, I'm very much missing the Acinonyx...

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2023 at 21:27, Frank Blank said:

In what is a no doubt Real Housewives of BHesque twist, I'm very much missing the Acinonyx...

I'd sell it back to you, but I am in fact considering buying a second! 

• Sad 1