Why become a member? ×

*ON HOLD* Ready to Regret this, baby on board... Ric 4003 Ruby Red - *SOLD*
£2100
Northampton / London / Drive / Post

Ander87

Congrats on the amazing news! Hope you're OK with getting no sleep from here on in 😋

Keep it, the Ric will be easier to teach the nipper how to play seeing as it's a shorter scale length than the other 2. Plus, seeing as they're going up in value, then it's almost an investment for the future. The question is can you afford to sell it now, rather than can you afford to keep it.....

Plus.......look at it.

On a bit more of a serious note, while still trying to persuade you to keep it. Now might not be the best time to sell it due to market/economic conditions, so you should keep it for a bit. I've got a daughter that's coming up to 18 months and was in a similar sort of position to you and ended up selling a few bits. From my experience you don't need loads of things to keep a new born alive and happy, all they do is eat, crap and sleep for quite a while. You have the pram sorted, which is one of the biggest expenses, so I'd keep a hold of the Ric for a while unless you really need the dosh.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Congrats on the amazing news! Hope you're OK with getting no sleep from here on in 😋

Keep it, the Ric will be easier to teach the nipper how to play seeing as it's a shorter scale length than the other 2. Plus, seeing as they're going up in value, then it's almost an investment for the future. The question is can you afford to sell it now, rather than can you afford to keep it.....

Plus.......look at it.

On a bit more of a serious note, while still trying to persuade you to keep it. Now might not be the best time to sell it due to market/economic conditions, so you should keep it for a bit. I've got a daughter that's coming up to 18 months and was in a similar sort of position to you and ended up selling a few bits. From my experience you don't need loads of things to keep a new born alive and happy, all they do is eat, crap and sleep for quite a while. You have the pram sorted, which is one of the biggest expenses, so I'd keep a hold of the Ric for a while unless you really need the dosh.

thank you buddy! In a sea of ‘keep it / makes sense to sell / don’t do it’ this seems very solid advise and something I had NOT considered. 

it really is a truly unique instrument, and I’ve gotten to that stage where I love all my basses and it’s near impossible to get rid of either (withdrew the P recently). 

I could do the extra cash defo, have some credit cards etc but tbh I am not desperate. Could wait a bit, enjoy it (used it live and they all loved it in the studio too, lots) and if bad comes to worse sell it for more - I’m careful with my gear so I’ll keep it well. 

Hmmm… food for thought! Thank you and trust the fam is well your end too!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Plus.......look at it.

This gentleman is talking a lot of sense! Things like Rics are appreciating at an amazing rate.

It's when children get older it's more expensive 🤣 my lottery hasn't come up so unfortunately it won't be coming to my house.

Edited by lee650
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lee650 said:
16 hours ago, Jonesy said:

This gentleman is talking a lot of sense! Things like Rics are appreciating at an amazing rate.

Dang he is indeed, agreed! @JonesyI’m gonna be running after you for advice once the baby is here 🤪 

Tbh didn’t even know they’re gaining value - having said that, the price of new gear is ridic these days, just saw them for 2.8k recently IIRC. 

4 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

What a great post Ander, containing wonderful news and  pictures of a stunning bass!

thank you so much David! Funny and loving to see how this is being so much about the news rather than just the Ruby red!

Ander. 

• Like 4

I'm slightly bias on this as my Ric has a lot of sentimental value to me, it was my first 'proper' bass and I gigged it a lot through my 20's and 30's so I don't think I'd ever sell it unless I really needed to.

Another thing to consider is that you can get 80%-90% close to a really nice P and MM with a Squier or Sterling. You can't do that with a Ric, there's no entry level model. So they'd be the basses I'd sell and if I fancied a P bass later down the line I'd pick up a Squier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm slightly bias on this as my Ric has a lot of sentimental value to me, it was my first 'proper' bass and I gigged it a lot through my 20's and 30's so I don't think I'd ever sell it unless I really needed to.

Another thing to consider is that you can get 80%-90% close to a really nice P and MM with a Squier or Sterling. You can't do that with a Ric, there's no entry level model. So they'd be the basses I'd sell and if I fancied a P bass later down the line I'd pick up a Squier.

Interesting. I’ve been between P’s and Stingrays most of my time - the Cruz teal special was my first ‘prrrroper’ bass in this colour so it’s got sorta sentimental value… and this P is just lush Motown vintage in nitro, I’ll have it relic’d by Dan Giles etc and it’s gonna be epic, as close to a Custom Shop as one can do. 

I got the Ric by chance, decided to give it a try and change to find what’s all about… I’ve fallen in love with how great it plays, the setup I got and the crowning of frets etc made it my best playing bass currently. I want to take the other two to the same luthier for sure…

… and since I’m always between Ps and Rays and these are special, feels like the Ric should be the one to go, but for my punk rock band is just sublime too, folk loved it at the studio too and can’t wait to here the mix…!

closer and closer to withdrawing and letting it gain value, sell if I really need to in some time. 

• Like 1

• Ander87 changed the title to *ON HOLD* Ready to Regret this, baby on board... Ric 4003 Ruby Red
  • Ander87 changed the title to *SOLD* Ready to Regret this, baby on board... Ric 4003 Ruby Red