Why become a member? ×

First ampless gig

la bam

19 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I get the ampless/in-ear thing and it obviously works for loads of people. One potential drawback I can see is feedback. Some feedback is desirable, especially when playing lead guitar. How do you get feedback with no monitor or amp?

There will no doubt be a pedal to emulate feedback somewhere nowadays.

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

There will no doubt be a pedal to emulate feedback somewhere nowadays.

Boss made one in the mid 80s - the DF-2 Super Feedbacker and Distortion pedal. I had one which I used with my synth to provide guitar-like sounds. IIRC the "feedback" was generated using a pitch detector to drive a simple sine wave oscillator, and you held down the pedal to activate it. However once activated you were stuck with a single tone feedback and none of the instability you get with the interaction between the amp and guitar. Good for what it did, but not as versatile as a guitar and amp working together, which is why guitarists who want feedback tones and sustain still use a small valve combo located in a suitable place on the otherwise "silent" stage to achieve this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

which is why guitarists who want feedback tones and sustain still use a small valve combo located in a suitable place on the otherwise "silent" stage to achieve this.

Been there. Amp on a stand at knee height firing up a the guitarist and across the stage (basically at 90 degrees to the mics)

• Like 1

Interesting read this. 

We moved to ampless last year, drums still acoustic but we have a click track in our ears anyway. 

It was great, but we kept feeling something missing on stage. We played a venue in December and I was forced to use an amp - so we turned bass down in the ears and that thump was from the amp. It worked well, could hear everything but still had the low end feeling. I just need to be careful with volume! 😂

• Like 1

I witnessed my first 'silent stage' when working at a Danish festival several years ago. I was in the stage right wings and it really was uncanny to watch the musicians - three guitars, keyboards, bass  all going through Kemper Profilers, and the drummer on an electric kit  - all playing and you heard nothing, except what was coming back off the PA. Really weird.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1