Why become a member? ×

help- strange knocking noise

rogo

so I’ve been playing my fender jazz MIM for about 2 years now and it’s always made a strange sort of ‘knocking’ sound when I play, it’s even worse when I have distortion on. I’ve tried lowering the pickups as I thought that was the problem but it hasn’t helped. I’m fairly sure they’re stock pickups but the bass is a bit road worn so I’m not overly sure. I play fingerstyle and the knocking is much less noticeable when I play with a pick which makes me think it’s something to do with my technique maybe? I’m guessing I just need new pickups but I’m not sure, any advice would be greatly appreciated :) 

'Sounds' like something is physically loose, but mystery how picking is much different to plucking. I would think banging strings onto the pickups is more than a mildly distracting knocking noise. You might need to post a video to get anywhere with it.

I definitely wouldn't rush out and buy new pickups at this stage.

• Like 1

Has it got exposed pole pieces? When playing basses with such pickups in my early days, I was hearing strange popping/knocking noises. It took me a while to realise I was digging in so hard that the strings were hitting the pole pieces and sticking to them slightly, causing the noise. I have adjusted my technique since 😂

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all for your replies so far, the only way I can really demonstrate is in a song my band released (I promise this isn’t shameless self promotion). https://on.soundcloud.com/VvfJAhhy9HKPEa2S8

if you listen to the very beginning of the song and in the verses you can hear the ‘knocking’ sound I’m talking about. I realise that it was probably stupid to to include an example in the first place lol.