Why become a member? ×

Returns policy

ReeV0

Hi all,

I am considering making an online purchase from the Bass Gallery, but their returns Ts&Cs are putting me off. They are saying no returns, even for online purchases. I am concerned that, as buying blind online, there is a slim chance that I might wish to return the bass. It is not a small purchase (>£1400).

Are they going against UK law?

Screenshot_20230204-124802_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20230204-124612_Shop.jpg

Edited by ReeV0

I'd think they have to accept returns as it's a sight unseen purchase as above regulations .. why not give them a ring and say you'd be interested in buying X item but need to have the return option, with no arguments in the "unlikely" event that it doesn't suit, can't see how they can refuse tbh.. 

• Like 2

The Citizens Advice Bureau has some useful info (I’m an ex CAB advisor).

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/changing-your-mind-about-something-youve-bought/

For a UK based company, You automatically get a 14-day ‘cooling-off period’ when you buy something you haven’t seen in person - unless it’s bespoke or made to measure. The cooling-off period starts the day after you receive your order, and there doesn’t need to be anything wrong with the item for you to get a refund. 14 days is the absolute minimum cooling-off period that a seller must give you.

These rights are given by the The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.

S’manth x

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Beedster said:

If you’re buying online from there I’d suggest you check it’s actually in stock, I bought a vintage Fender from their website a couple if years that had apparently sold weeks previously, they were very casual about it also :( 

I tried to buy 3 basses from them last year, all of which were already sold. A lack of connectivity between the shop website and Reverb is probably the cause. 

That is cheeky of them if that's actually their policy, especially because if you give your bass for them to sell on commission they wait for 2 weeks after the sale to pay you, apparently this was incase it got returned for a refund. 

Contrast that with what Bass Direct write. And I found them to be absolutely as good as their word. The link on the Bass Bros homepage to their returns policy doesn't work, but they too simply got on with things politely and efficiently.

(Yes I am embarrassed that have experience of both of these. As Oscar Wilde wrote, to need to return one bass, Mr. Rioli, may be regarded as a misfortune; to need to return both looks like carelessness.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Contrast that with what Bass Direct write. And I found them to be absolutely as good as their word. The link on the Bass Bros homepage to their returns policy doesn't work, but they too simply got on with things politely and efficiently.

Better, but still slightly wrong -
"If you're not totally satisfied with your purchase, we'll refund the entire purchase price of the item (less transportation both ways)."
They are meant to refund the outbound postage.

"There maybe a 10% re-stocking fee if goods are not returned in their original condition or packaging."
You don't have to return the original packaging.  If the goods are not in their original condition, they should be charging you for the actual damage that you've caused (not just "10%").  Although I wonder if you completely destroyed the bass, they'd hold themselves to their own T&C and only charge you 10%...?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Likewise, 3 phone calls, 3 already sold. 

Seems to be a lot of love on here for Bass Gallery and some hostility towards Bass Direct, my experience is 100% in favour of Bass Direct who have been without problem on around 30 purchases 

• Like 3

This is bullsh*t.

Any company selling online is covered by distance selling regulations.

They can’t refuse a refund or charge a restocking fee. These these are legally unenforceable and are written by people who don’t know what they’re doing. It’s the same as people writing “sold as seen” or “ex demo” and assume that means anything (it doesn’t).

The approval thing is different, as you’re going to unpack the guitar, play it and so on. In this case I can see that they’re not able to resell and item as new and that there may be grounds they can charge you for it or refuse a return, but that’s fair enough.

• Like 1

People who operate businesses know all this. My wife recently bought an ex-display radiator that didn’t work. The guy tried the old “sold as seen” rubbish, which is nonsense. The business has to sell goods that are fit for purpose and if they’re not, I can demand a refund.

I explained I’d charge the money back from my credit card and spend the next hour on every review site I could and emailing the local newspaper about their poor treatment of my wife. 

The law actually offers loads of protection, it just took me a while to realise that some companies will do everything they can to avoid their responsibilities - including writing misleading Ts and Cs:

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 2