Why become a member? ×

Kopo basses.

6stringbassist

Anyone have any information and playing experience on these very nice looking French luthier made basses.

There's a really nice one one on Ebay at the moment.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140316195627"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140316195627[/url]

Edited by 6stringbassist

Just got this from the seller ..

Dear silddx,

well now...! firstly; its passive with a coil tap switch that switches
between humbucker and single coil, the single coil setting gives
you a thinner, poppier sound, personally i prefer the humbucker
which is smoother and richer. you don't get a LOT of bass from
this guitar, more like low-end mids though at the bottom of the
E string you can get some very dark, menacing sounding tones -
it sounds great for dubby, dance type weird grooves if you de-
tune to bottom D. I'm not sure quite what you mean by 'honky'
but I can assure that all sounds from this bass are of superior
quality - Kopo really know how to pick their woods! it's also
worth mentioning that the tone pot has a very broad range
compared to your average bass. the neck is dotted along the
side at every 'fret' then standard on the fingerboard, but then
from the 'twelfth fret' onwards, the opposite (underside) of the
fingerboard if you get what I mean?! this is very handy for
hitting the notes at the top end which can be difficult at the best
of times on a fretless. the photo shows up the dotting on the
fingerboard if you look carefully. I've played fretted warwicks,
the Kopo is very individual however, and is difficult to compare
to any other bass I've played - it has a sort of D shape sculpting
with a very flat fingerboard - it feels as it is, handbuilt.
Nut width is 42mm or 1" 13/16".
I hope this is helpful, any more questions just ask - good luck!

Had some extremely useful info from Eubassix who thinks this is the one he used to have! Amazing eh? Thanks so much for that mate.

This lovely Kopo now has a new owner :) I should hopefully receive it tomorrow!!!

I'll put up a small review after I have lived with it. Reckon I may need the Gallery to route a cavity for a second pup though, and I'll probably need the electronics dealing with if I do. We'll see.

[quote name='silddx' post='477061' date='May 1 2009, 02:39 PM']Had some extremely useful info from Eubassix who thinks this is the one he used to have! Amazing eh? Thanks so much for that mate.

This lovely Kopo now has a new owner :rolleyes: [u]I should hopefully receive it tomorrow[/u]!!!

I'll put up a small review after I have lived with it. Reckon I may need the Gallery to route a cavity for a second pup though, and I'll probably need the electronics dealing with if I do. We'll see.[/quote]

Nice one, I wonder if this is the same one that I had offered as a trade a few months ago! Likely it will be as there can't be that many around and it was in my area. :)

Just for my own personal reference, how much extra is the Saturday delivery costing you and who are you using?

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='477140' date='May 1 2009, 04:27 PM']Nice one, I wonder if this is the same one that I had offered as a trade a few months ago! Likely it will be as there can't be that many around and it was in my area. :)

Just for my own personal reference, how much extra is the Saturday delivery costing you and who are you using?[/quote]

It's coming from Northumberland. He said he'd sent it Special Delivery about 3pm today, I presume that's RM, and said it should turn up tomorrow. He implied it was less than £30. I'll let you know when it arrives.

As usual I've gone for something entirely different to what I was after, but I reckon it should be a cracking bass. If I love the way it plays, and its fundamental tone, I'll be getting it to the Gallery for a second pickup rout and possibly electronics. We'll see. I'm rather excited and I am going to the pub now to drink its health :rolleyes:

The guitarist I play with here in France knows the luthier and has one of his electrics and an electro acoustic. I had the pleasure of trying two of the basses at the Paris music show last September. They are incredible. So playable. Both necks were perfect for me but, I had always wanted an F bass so I went for that instead. The tonal variation on both was amazing and I found myself attempting things that I had previously only hoped I'd be able to play. Both were well balanced and despite one weighing in at a hefty 11lbs 5oz, felt great. I have also tried Noguera basses here and whilst being beautiul top quality instruments, the Kopo's were better. I think the only downside for me was the radical body stying on the basses I tried. I was sorely tempted and it was only about 55% 45% in favour of the F. The finish is up there with the best and the fretwork and attention to detail is truly superb. If you have the opportunity to try one, or pick one up at a good price, go for it. You would not be dissapointed. Whatever pick up configuration or spacing they use on the basses is exactly right for that bass.

I think I have one of the brochures here so if you want it, let me know and I'll post it although it's all in French.

Blimey, arrived at 8.15am this morning, Royal Mail special delivery next day, £24.60. Seems very good value to me.

I'm going to clean up the house, have a sh*t, shave, shower and a shampoo, then have the grand opening :) I love these moments :rolleyes:

[quote name='leschirons' post='477401' date='May 1 2009, 11:15 PM']I think I have one of the brochures here so if you want it, let me know and I'll post it although it's all in French.[/quote]

That would be lovely mate! Thank you so much!

I'll send a PM later on.

[quote name='silddx' post='477529' date='May 2 2009, 08:59 AM']Blimey, arrived at 8.15am this morning, Royal Mail special delivery next day, £24.60. Seems very good value to me.

I'm going to clean up the house, have a sh*t, shave, shower and a shampoo, then have the grand opening :) I love these moments :rolleyes:[/quote]

That is a very good delivery price, especially considering it is a Saturday delivery. Result! :D

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='477549' date='May 2 2009, 09:43 AM']That is a very good delivery price, especially considering it is a Saturday delivery. Result! :)[/quote]

I was expecting it to be nearer £35 tbh.

BTW, thanks for your help in trying to source me a nice fretless, John. And thanks to everyone who PMed me with theirs. Sorry they didn't quite fit the bill.

Oh Lordy!

She's GORGEOUS!!

The craftsmanship is superb, the fingerboard is wonderful, plays beautifully and the dots look very tasty. I cleaned her up a bit, lemon oiled and waxed the fingerboard, put some DR black beauties on and she completely floats my dinghy! Low action and plays really smoothly. The string spacing at the nut is really wide, weird at first but after half an hour I'm used to it. That Delano pup is really strong. Given it's passive, it competes with my vette $$ admirably. She's got a warm, slightly dark tone which I'm already falling in love with, fairly woody and organic with an almost P-bass thump which was far from what I was expecting. I doubt it needs another pup near the neck, the lows are low enough. The thing is, she's got real character, I took a big risk on this but boy, has it paid off.

I'm absolutely delighted!

Thanks all.

[quote name='ped' post='477652' date='May 2 2009, 12:47 PM']Delighted to hear you like the bass - make sure you post some nice bit pictures and sound asap! French basses rule ;0)[/quote]

Will do, Ped! Planning a little vid to put up here. Unfortunately we've got friends coming over for dinner tonight so shopping and cooking is going to occupy me for most the day, and drinking and laughing for most of the evening :) Fortunately the male half of our guests is a bassist, he'd better not get any drool on it :rolleyes:

Cheers!