Why become a member? ×

Pre Amp Alternatives to BDDI, for FRFR set up

nottswarwick

This could have gone in the effects forum nut I feel it may actually be related to my choice to not use an amp...so.

Infrequent visitor here these days, mainly earning my corn drumming.

BUT, I have occasional bass dep work.  I am using a Sansamp BDDI with a RFC 732A cab. So, a good cab and a decent preamp.

Problem is that I don't like it!  To elaborate, onstage the sound is too "big" and "boomy". I know of the limitations of the sans amp - especially since it is the one without the mid control. That said, I know how to use it, and I only put it at about 1/3 blend of the sans amp sound. I think the issue is this - the cab is too good.  By this I mean that to get a nice clear punchy stage sound, I have to cut a fair amount of the bass on the sans amp. You know the deal - small stages, boomy etc. However, this of course will also affect the FOH feed, which is not always idea.

I wonder if in fact FRFR is actually a good idea for me.  The cab is quite large, and I do miss my Mini CMD 121p....rock up, set up, DI set to pre EQ, tweak on stage sound independent of the FOH feed, and tweak that on the desk...

So, before I go back to a combo (probably mark bass...again!) could anyone recommend a preamp that is clear and warm?  I like the BDDI, but I am finding it to be not the sound I need these days.

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by nottswarwick
  • Like 1

Hello. 

I use the BDDI V2 with the mid control and it is leagues ahead of the original. Still not 'transparent' but great for my purposes. 

If you want a really flexible pre-amp it might be worth getting something like the Helix stomp which would enable you to pick and choose any number of amp tones. It might be a bit over the top for occasional dep work and at £500 it is a pretty substantial cost, but the flexibility is there to cover loads of different amps, pedals and effects and signal chains. It can also be used for guitar which is why I am seriously considering one next. 

Alternatives off the top of my head: 

- Aguilar Tone Hammer

- Ampeg SCR-DI (an Ampeg preamp plus overdrive)

- MXR M80 Bass DI (like a Sansamp BDDI but make a little bit less coloured)

- Origin Effects Bass Rig (at £400 though a big investment - essentially a super modern attempt at the Sansamp 'amp in a box') 

- Two Notes ReVolt (another amp in a box)

-Walrus Badwater Bass preamp (not tried it myself but looks cool)

- EBS Microbass or Valvedrive (preamps but not as coloured as a full on amp sim). 

- there is also the Darkglass pedals, but I don't think that they are very transparent (I own four DG pedals and like them) apart from maybe the Harmonic booster which is just a clean preamp 

Generally it worth taking the time to try out different options. Not always possible but you can find Youtube demos fairly easily for most pedals so it is worth having a look online. 

If you only have occasional dep work on bass does that mean you play other instruments? If so the HX Stomp as mentioned above is the one to go for here. That sounds killer on bass but also anything else with a 1/4" output. 

If you want the Sansamp but with less boom and more mid then try the Paradriver. Those are actually my two preamps and I couldn't be happier. 

Hi, I'm using a SansAmp programmable or a Zoon BION with RCF PA's as monitors. The problem is PA speakers are designed to go on stands and you get 6db of bass boost off the floor reflection. roll off the bass by that amount or lift your monitors on to stands and you'll get  great sound. You may be able to just roll off the bass on the SansAmp and restore some balance, something like going from 12.00 to 9.00 o/c should do it.

I can shape the bass response in my mixing desk and do that when we are PA supported. If not I use the B1ON (now the B1 Four) which has a lot of eq available as my Bass pre. There is nothing to stop you using the Sansamp as well if you want to split the signal to the PA and need a balanced output. I've also used the Zoom as a tuner then into the Sansamp. 

Have you considered some sort of stage isolator (Gramma Pad) to cut the boom?

I think hearing exactly what the FOH gets is ideal so I wouldn't want to amend my tone too much.  The BDDI and RCF setup sounds perfect.  Maybe a 10" cab would suit better?