Why become a member? ×

Geddy P(ee)

AndyTravis

27 minutes ago, Moving Pictures said:

Looks great! I would totally play that. Any plans to change the pickguard?

No, quite enjoying the geddy B/W aesthetic.

I’ve had 2 GL jazz basses…sold when chasing other gear…

The Japanese one I had was black, and a bit weighty. The Mex one I had was mega light and sunburst.

Reckon another Black one might be on the cards…

now…what to do with this stuff…4D9A4D0F-45AA-4F76-AF13-86B25BFF186C.thumb.jpeg.5e6ef3b28c4c17a221e7421da14534ef.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

P/G change needed to my eyes, mint green would be better IMO. Nick the one off the white one.

I’ve got a packet of pickguard screws on the way as that’s one of the few things I didn’t get with the MIJ body. So it won’t be a big deal to try - not 100% sure it will work.

I’ve also used my spare Yamaha big strap buttons on the white body so will swap them out as they’re ace, but a bugger to get hold of.

no rash decisions - might see if any interesting necks come up for the white body; I’ve a spare Gotoh string tree in a packet and a spare set of resolite machineheads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

No, quite enjoying the geddy B/W aesthetic.

I’ve had 2 GL jazz basses…sold when chasing other gear…

The Japanese one I had was black, and a bit weighty. The Mex one I had was mega light and sunburst.

Reckon another Black one might be on the cards…

now…what to do with this stuff…4D9A4D0F-45AA-4F76-AF13-86B25BFF186C.thumb.jpeg.5e6ef3b28c4c17a221e7421da14534ef.jpeg

I had a Japanese GL and also found it a bit weighty. Sounded great but had to go. 

That white body would look good with either a maple fretboard and black pickguard (think Dee Dee Ramone) or a very dark fretboard and a mint or brown tort guard. Either looks like you have another interesting project on your hands. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moving Pictures said:

I had a Japanese GL and also found it a bit weighty. Sounded great but had to go. 

That white body would look good with either a maple fretboard and black pickguard (think Dee Dee Ramone) or a very dark fretboard and a mint or brown tort guard. Either looks like you have another interesting project on your hands. 

we’ll see - a good friend has enquired on behalf of a mate of his.

I could do with a big parts bin empty…

I’ve done a quick comparison of the mint on the black. Looks like it’s “trying” to look vintage…quite like the stark contrast…

hmm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MM Stingray 62 said:

It looks great Andy but I think it would look even better with a Badass bridge on it.

I know what you mean but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

Looking Geddy Pee is cool, but sounding it?

Andy has to sound like Andy Tee 😉

Always felt that a BA takes something away from a P bass rather than adding to it. Imho of course. 

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I know what you mean but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

Looking Geddy Pee is cool, but sounding it?

Andy has to sound like Andy Tee 😉

Always felt that a BA takes something away from a P bass rather than adding to it. Imho of course. 

In my experience high mass bridges in general smooth/round out/off the tone and in a way makes the bass sound more polite and uniform, I'd even claim lacking character and sounding kind of bland, in comparison to a traditional bend steel plate vintage style bridge. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I’m going to hold out for a used one - that way I won’t “lose” £40 to find out.

I did change my Mendel to a bbot - not sure what informed that decision…think it was because I swapped to TI flats and didn’t see the point of adding sustain to dead flats.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...