Why become a member? ×

Likelihood of neck dive on an 8lb P Bass?

Mylkinut

Might not be a real answer to this, but I'm planning an 8lb P Bass build using a '79 neck and original tuners (neck makes up 2.5lb of the weight). Is this asking for neck dive or should I be OK?

I haven't ordered the body yet so I'm checking before I do!

Cheers

Depends very much on your build and how high/low you wear it. The broader you are and the higher you wear it the less it is prone to dive. 

If you're a 5'4" punk player that wears it round you're knees you'd be more likely to have hassles than me with a 53" chest and accordingly wide shoulders wearing it moderately high up.

• Like 2

My 8 3/4 lb fretless P suffered from mild neck dive until I removed the D tuner. Now she sits perfectly wherever you place her. For reference, the D tuner weighed 180 grams and the replacement 70's reissue tuner weight 100 grams. 

A decent strap is a must.  My beast is a 4"  Italia Leather,  and very expensive. There are other 4" bass straps available far cheaper.

Wide straps make a bass seem light.  I had a 10LB  Aria Pro ll SB900 in the past, and that Italia strap made it seem way lighter.

Make sure the inside of the strap is grippy.

strap.thumb.jpg.a657be7d2544343e8e13a57e7ddbcdfd.jpg

Edited by fleabag

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I can say neck dive is not a thing if you choose a decent strap.

The Lekato neoprene straps on Amazon will prevent any trace of neck dive on any bass, and they make >10lb basses comfy as well.

That's just not true. A grippy strap can fix neck dive but it's still an unbalanced neck heavy instrument.

I have some of those straps and I've had basses where the neck still dived.

A properly designed and built bass shouldn't have any neck dive even if the strap being used is super slippy silk dipped in lube.

Old large plate tuners are a culprit. Swapping to Ultralites or similar can lower total bass weigh by as much as half a pound on a 4 string bass, but what is more important is the position of that weight loss. The loss is all at the end of a long lever so the effect on neck dive and general comfort is quite amazing.

It's simple fulcrum physics. Sticking a couple of pounds of metal at the end of a long bit of wood was always going to be a design flaw. It's just a seesaw with a prop forward at one end.