Why become a member? ×

Bass to travel with (on Ryanair)...

Muzz

Sooo, I've got a big gig coming up in Italy in the near future, and I'll be flying Ryanair (because I'm skint), which means a degree of care will need to be taken per taking a bass with me, to avoid doubling my costs (see 'I'm skint', earlier).

I'm thinking a bolt-on headless could be disassembled and packed into luggage, does anyone have any clever suggestions (aka Genius Hacks, for anyone under 30) which might help?

I'd say that this one is an unpaid one-off charity gig, and the only other person I'll be travelling with is the singist, who isn't taking any gear, so I'm hoping to avoid the whole carnet thing...

Good point about the proof of ownership, though, I'll have a think about that...

Now then, I just have to find a bolt-on headless; the Steinberger Spirits and the Hohners (which seem to be most of the headlesses around) are neck-through...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

If you're flying by yourself and carrying the bass as luggage you shouldn't need a carnet. Doesn't mean that customs may not give you hassle because nobody really knows the rules. I flew to Madrid for a gig this year and it was fine. Think we used Ryanair too. I took a Matt Freeman Squire P Bass. Took the neck off and just wrapped in all up in bubble wrap and stuck it in a duffel bag and checked it in at Stansted. You should be able to travel with a "musical instrument" & "equipment" in your personal accompanied(!) baggage without a carnet. You might have to check rules for Italy to see if it's different. We picked up out guitars at the airport and nobody said anything to us. 

The carnet situation becomes more murky if you're transporting full backline by driving across the channel. We'll be with our personal gear and accompanying it, but the definition of equipment in the rules is apparently quite loose. So to play it safe we're getting a carnet. Other bands have told us the fine you risk is cheaper than the carnet so they don't bother, but it's a risk. I've been caught at borders and forced to pay fines and taxes before and it isn't fun... finding detail on all this stuff is a nightmare. 

You'd absolutely need one if you're freighting gear and travelling separately I think. 

Edited by northcountrybob
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'd say that this one is an unpaid one-off charity gig, and the only other person I'll be travelling with is the singist, who isn't taking any gear, so I'm hoping to avoid the whole carnet thing...

Good point about the proof of ownership, though, I'll have a think about that...

Now then, I just have to find a bolt-on headless; the Steinberger Spirits and the Hofners (which seem to be most of the headlesses around) are neck-through...

Hohner B2B is bolt on.  Also has passive with PJ pups, not EMG which sounded more organic to me.  It was always my preferred model.  Finding one is another matter, of course. 

• Like 2

I've flown mainland Europe gig with basses and the cheapest way to do it is to buy a seat for your bass. This is what Ryan Air encourage. I did it for a show in Ibiza last year and I have done it for Norway and a wider / longer European tour. 

I'd worry that with a bass in bits, you might get issues in customs. Refer to Ryan Air's website for advice if that is who you are flying with. I am back out in Ibiza in May and will no doubt do the same again. 

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Now that I didn't know, thanks for that - all the Hohners (not Hofners, I'm a dolt) I'd seen were neck-through...which, of course, plays right into your 'Finding one...' statement 🙁

I've had 2.  Sold the first, missed it, found another, sold it and now miss it. :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I've had 2.  Sold the first, missed it, found another, sold it and now miss it. :D 

Very often the way...if I find one, use it and want to move it on, I'll let you know... 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I've flown mainland Europe gig with basses and the cheapest way to do it is to buy a seat for your bass. This is what Ryan Air encourage. I did it for a show in Ibiza last year and I have done it for Norway and a wider / longer European tour. 

I'd worry that with a bass in bits, you might get issues in customs. Refer to Ryan Air's website for advice if that is who you are flying with. I am back out in Ibiza in May and will no doubt do the same again. 

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that one, as the flights might not be super-cheap around April when we're going (they were £38 return in October when we last went), I'm trying not to double that...

I suppose we could do without the singist, and I'll take a bass next to me instead... 🙂

Edit: Just checked, and yeah, the flights are four times that much...

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Weird I can cope with...in fact I quite like the Yamaha BXs...then again, I can remember the 80s... 🙂

I like the look of them too :)

I bought the Hondo Alien specifically because it has an aluminium neck which I thought would be more likely to survive travelling - I keep it in my camper van. I prefer the look of the Hohners.

I don’t know how easy they are to find, I think I was the sole bidder on mine 😂

• Like 2

For a one-off concert have you considered sourcing a bass out there? Either through loan, hire or buy and then resell. From what you’ve said above about only you and the singer travelling there must presumably be some technical and musical infrastructure in place out there for the concert, and maybe the rest of the band? Therefore people around  likely to have a bass or can access one easily.

It’s the solution I went for playing in the Netherlands and I’ve done similar in return for bands coming to the UK. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

My Steinberger Spirit has a bolt on neck, but the body size may not be what you're looking for.

DSC04238.jpg.a9c4514f4534d9cdb99e99cbad8280c3.jpg

Oh man, I'm not currently looking for a bass (actually selling one), and I have a Spirit XT-2 that I like, but the XZ has (almost) always been the one I wanted!
I like them headless, but I like having a standard body though, and the XZ to me is kind of iconic, it symbolises an era.
Just so rare to find, especially left handed!

Great bass!

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

I know this is probably not a solution for you now, but I recently travelled from London to Turin by train and that allowed me to bring my bass without any particular hurdle.
Generally speaking the journey is more expensive than flying, but if bought months in advance tickets can be reasonable.
Eurostar London-Paris and then train Paris-Turin, return can be around 150£, and no issues with luggages.
It does take 8h though :)

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1