Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass

nilorius

2 minutes ago, nilorius said:

So....you are happy now. Take Your bag with clothes and become a pilgrim to travel the world to find one.

Nah, I'll stick with my Hofner, which has all the bass sounds I'll ever need, thanks all the same. My globe-trotting days are over. :friends:

_D851601-2.thumb.jpeg.f1b0323401f8323d7ae65b909c838424.jpeg

'62 spec'ed neck, set neck rather than the clumsy bolt on, slab rosewood board, Seymour Duncan weather report custom pups, and a contoured body. Is it still a still a jazz? Well the neck and pickups say so, as does the tone, just way more refined than a Fender.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 2

OK, Fender Jazz bass guys. . . .

What are the best sounding Fender Jazz bass pickups? I might be looking for a set.

Did any particular pickup model make anyone stand up and go, "Wow"?

Were they passive or active?

I'm currently thinking Fender, but if someone else made a better set of Jazz pickups, let me know, I'm also favouring passive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

What are the best sounding Fender Jazz bass pickups? I might be looking for a set.

I'm currently thinking Fender, but if someone else made a better set of Jazz pickups, let me know, I'm also favouring passive.

Seymour Duncan weather report set for that Jaco sound, or EMG JV52; Rob Turner designed, passive, alnico 5 neck and alnico 2 bridge, hum cancelling. 

I had a similar set done by Creamery pickups (alnico 5 & 2 magnets), but single coil, not hum cancelling, and can thoroughly recommend. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Boodang said:

_D851601-2.thumb.jpeg.f1b0323401f8323d7ae65b909c838424.jpeg

'62 spec'ed neck, set neck rather than the clumsy bolt on, slab rosewood board, Seymour Duncan weather report custom pups, and a contoured body. Is it still a still a jazz? Well the neck and pickups say so, as does the tone, just way more refined than a Fender.

"weather report custom pups" - what planet is that ?

48 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've got a couple of Fender Jazzes. One has got Barts (the original 'darker' sounding version) and the other is a 2015 US Std with the Custom Shop p/ups, the first Fender bass that I've had where I haven't felt the need to change the p/ups. Both are passive.

I like both of them. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Boodang said:

OK, Fender Jazz bass guys

I find the custom shop 1960 pickups very good and the noiseless ones in my jazz elite are really good, I’m not too sure on the electronics of those though as it’s an active jazz, but it has passive mode, would they work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I really like the Custom Shop 60s ones that come in my US Standard. 

45 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've got a couple of Fender Jazzes. One has got Barts (the original 'darker' sounding version) and the other is a 2015 US Std with the Custom Shop p/ups, the first Fender bass that I've had where I haven't felt the need to change the p/ups. Both are passive.

I like both of them. 

I should also add that I also have an active Xotic Jazz that has Lindy Fralin pickups, which sound ace and are well worth looking into. 

Edited by peteb

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

Then you need to start a new thread, called - "Guys, you are all wrong. Jaco is alive !!!" :))))

Yes, the magic flows out of the pups. The magnetic field flows into the fingers and imbibes you with that weather report magic direct from Jaco....  it's science in action!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1