Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Well. by some fluke I have another certificate to put on my wall.

Thanks to you kind folk therefore for honouring me with the choice of photo this month.

As we normally experience a cold and wet Christmas , I thought I would show a scene that other parts of the world might experience at the same time of year! *

1988163214_January23.JPG.b4e0401f9a8bc7034c39eb603b0c34cd.JPG

*this isn't another part of the world really , its Chester Zoo :D

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and deadline.

X No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

X Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the ears cant take it, panpipes only if you have too.

X No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for the  24th which means you'll probably have till Burns' supper time , if he has it at the same time I get home from work!

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a bit more time than usual on the bass for this month's songlet... We've got 8 different basslines played on 4 different basses!

It's inspired by the time I worked at Chester Zoo (as a boat driver, what else?). One day loads of police turned up and completely locked the place down - they thought they'd smashed a major drugs ring. Turns out a lad who used to work there had been caught in London with a carrier bag full of weed, that he said had come from Chester Zoo. The police duly found a large amount of cannabis plants growing behind the bird house; however, they'd grown from hemp seeds thrown out while cleaning out the bird cages! For those who only want the very funky bit, rather than the ambient build-up, just skip to 3  minutes...

Basses are Lightwave fretless, Wal Custom, ACG Recurve and Parker PB51. Guitars are an old Epi semi-acoustic and a Strat with lots of pitch shift, reverb and delay and Valves overdrive. Drums programmed in EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums. All mixed in Ableton and polished with Ozone 9.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'Never say never' and all that, but it's not looking likely for me, this time around. I've pinned it all, and put the pic on my desktop, as usual, but yet another bout of depression is setting in, which hinders my 'creative' muse quite heavily. Maybe, and I hope so, but it's only a 'maybe' for now. :$

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

'Never say never' and all that, but it's not looking likely for me, this time around. I've pinned it all, and put the pic on my desktop, as usual, but yet another bout of depression is setting in, which hinders my 'creative' muse quite heavily. Maybe, and I hope so, but it's only a 'maybe' for now. :$

If it helps , and I don’t do this for just anyone, but I could offer to do some singing for you 😁

😘

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not one for laying on a beach so here is the island nightlife (or Cheshire nightclub) soundtrack instead.

Recorded on my brand new laptop loaded with Cubase Elements 12.  Cubase came with Halion SE so I'm basically a kid with a new toy and I've used that exclusively for all the parts except the drums - just to see what I can do with it.  I didn't so much as write the song as it evolving by itself from the bass line which I had in my head.

• Like 5

Blurb: A quick glance on a small phone screen, with my deteriorating eyesight, of the seemingly deserted resort made me think of the Jonestown compound, Waco and then some kind of Andromeda Strain type of apocalyptic tragedy, as these things frequently end up. Yeah wrong way, I know 🤣

Technical: Yamaha kit with oak snare recorded by Thomann's cheapest mics and interfaces. Bass is an Alembic Orion, guitar is a Bacchus strat, into an Engl preamp. Vocals by the TalkAny app. All mushed together in protools.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 4

Here is my contribution to the January 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by the Master of Ceremonies: Lurksalot.
I've composed the jingle for the TV spot that this paradisiac resort has commissioned. All is in the title, really, it's a hypnotic exhortation to make you think of Paddling, Pedalling and Pédalos when next booking your holidays. Cunning, no..?
The magic was easy and quick enough, with three silver-voiced lasses harmonising , and a couple of suitable (and rapidly found...) samples, to flesh it out. Standard Cockos NY bus on the Master channel, and that's all, folks..!
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy, and wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

• Like 5

Hey guys, this is my first entry, so go easy on me! In fact, it's my first recorded bass guitar line since about 2006!... New Years' Resolution has got me going on some music again, which can only be a good thing. It's not really finished - I have had time to neither write nor record lyrics, but here it is so far - Midwinter Daiquiri:

The bass is an Ibanez EHB1506MS six string fan-fret, electric guitar is a Strandberg seven string fan-fret, put together with Cubase 12 featuring a bit of Native Instruments' Session Horns.

I hope you enjoy!
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by Wolfram
  • Like 4

Song about a zoo and ice cream that makes no sense at all. the lyrics don`t. I tried reggae this time. I played and recorded the drums first, kick, snare rim, and hat, the beat has a slight variation in the chorus. Four guitar tracks recorded  with SM57 against Marshall amp , one with a wah.

Bass recorded with  AKG d112 against bass amp. steel drums and trumpets played with a keyboard. Four vocal (ish) tracks recorded separately. Once the vocals recorded, I added few percussions with my drum kit, snare , toms, cow bell, cymbals etc.

• Like 4