Why become a member? ×

Choosing Electric guitar / basic setup for son

dmc79

Wasn’t sure where to post this. My son who is 14 is starting to show interest in learning the guitar. He’s started getting into similar music to what I was playing in the 90s which I find pretty funny. My knowledge of electrics is pretty basic, I once had a cheap strat copy which was a decent starter, I didn’t pursue it any further as I took up bass after that.

I am guessing a Strat or Tele is the way to go. He spotted this starter pack himself: Strat, Fender practice amp, strap, bag, etc. Seems decent value. The only thing I’m not sure about is whether to still get the Strat on its own, then a different amp option such as a Roland Cube with built in effects. Otherwise as soon as he wants to get dirty it’s the rabbit hole of pedals. What do you think? Thanks. This is what we’re looking at:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Affinity-Stratocaster-HSS-Pack-LRL-Charcoal-Frost-Metallic/3SZ8

38 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

There's a chap selling a Jackson DS24 DKAM for £125... that's pretty cheap for a decent spec guitar in what looks like top condition. 

That's me!

I"m not trying to hijack the thread to sell stuff (honest), but I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Special ii which has been set up and plays great (and is even cheaper!). 

As it's for a starter, I've probably got loads of stuff I can send along for nowt as I'd be happy for it to go to a good home and not being sat unused in my music room/office. Talking a stand, little tuner, slide, leads, few books etc. 

• Like 3

Buy something with a bit of quality, like a secondhand Squier vintage modified, or something similar.  It can always be sold for the price you bought it if your son's interest fades. Nothing more discouraging than a nasty guitar, that wont stay in tune and has an action like a bow and arrow.

I went looking for a guitar as a gift and the cheapos, that you buy new, are truly horrible (an Epiphone Les Paul for £89 that I tried was absolutely horrible sounding and wouldn't stay in tune). I ended up buying a secondhand Yamaha Pacifica, for £20 less, that sounded and played really great in comparison.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

That's me!

I"m not trying to hijack the thread to sell stuff (honest), but I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Special ii which has been set up and plays great (and is even cheaper!). 

As it's for a starter, I've probably got loads of stuff I can send along for nowt as I'd be happy for it to go to a good home and not being sat unused in my music room/office. Talking a stand, little tuner, slide, leads, few books etc. 

Thanks for the offer. Any pics of the Les Paul? 

Thanks for the replies everyone, will think about it some more next day or two. Haven’t got too long to hang about especially with the postal strikes 

In my personal experience, I've never owned a Squier Strat that couldn't be set up to be played really nicely.

I bought a Squier Strat from a bootsale a few months back for £20, initially it played like a dog. It took me about 45 minutes to set it up properly - now it plays beautifully. 

Squiers are generally pretty decent first guitars and if you have a teeny bit of know-how you can get them playing to a standard that exceeds their price point. 

I'd steer clear of 'Starcasters', they're the super low budget Argos type version. Now they are a bit crap...

All my humble opinion, but I say it with a fair amount of experience in setting up cheaper guitars to play at their best. 

• Like 1

I Didn't mean that... just that the basic trem is just that... and tune one string and as you go thru the others the tension will change and go out of tune - chasing ya tail a little - could be frustrating for a beginner who wants to get on and see results for encouragement...

Flatter neck, shorter scale, slightly lower tension, all may help on a LP type.

My ebay cheapy Epi LP with trem (what were they thinking!) blocked with a bit of wood in the back.. and wearing flats.1244447293_EpiLP_All.thumb.jpg.c9deacaa5e4e7f1fe1fbbcd87b19b035.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I’ve not shown him Epiphone Les Paul yet but I’ve heard that the Affinity range isn’t that good, so rather than be frustrated right from the off, perhaps it’s worth forking out extra for a Classic Vibe Strat or Tele. Will chat through the options with him tonight as I want to order something tomorrow 

33 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Thanks everyone. I’ve not shown him Epiphone Les Paul yet but I’ve heard that the Affinity range isn’t that good, so rather than be frustrated right from the off, perhaps it’s worth forking out extra for a Classic Vibe Strat or Tele. Will chat through the options with him tonight as I want to order something tomorrow 

When my son was at the same stage, we took a trip around some guitar shops and tried out some guitars. He tried quite a few, and settled on a Yamaha Pacifica fat strat.  He still remembers the enjoyment of that day and still has that guitar, which he played every day for 2 years until a Japanese Strat came along.

• Like 1

I'd suggest a Pacifica too, as that's the one I bought for my son and he loved it. Also a cheap multi-effects pedal like a Zoom, where you son can fiddle around to find unique sounds / loops, which he can store in the memory and begin to develop his own ideas. And this means he can practice through headphones for your sanity.

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Thats the Hardtail single bucker i was on about earlier...

Thanks, I had to look up what Hardtail even means, I haven't bought an electric guitar since my cheap Strat copy over 20 years ago!

The Pacifica is a nice guitar but it’ll lose 75% of its value the minute you play it. Given most new starters give up, I’d buy something with one eye on resale. The Affinity strays are awful (unfinished neck, cheap components etc). I’d personally invest in a Squier VM, and get something that will last for a long time.