Why become a member? ×

Peavey minimax 600

orangepeelneil

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an experiences of the Peavey minimax 600?

I’m looking for a reasonably priced class D to replace my failed MB amp.

Reviews seem decent my only concern is mid eq control.

I generally like low mid and high mid eq control, these seem to have “mid shift” with single “mid” control, not sure about the centre frequency range.

https://peavey.com/minimax-600-watt-mini-bass-amp-head/p/03617920

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-guitar-amp-head/peavey-minimax-600-bass-amp-head?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24ndq5Xx-wIVAt7tCh13-QmPEAQYAiABEgI43fD_BwE

Thanks Neil 

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 08.44.08.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 08.44.18.png

There's a number of posts about the Mk1 version on here and not sure if there is much difference between that and the MK2 other than cosmetics.

Thomann were clearing out the MK1 version a few years back for silly money and I, along with a lot of other BassChatters, got one. It was a cracking amp. Here's one of the posts 

• Like 1

I've got the 500W version which I keep in my bag as a back up. It's not been called on for a gig, but i sometimes use it at rehearsals just to keep familiar with it. It's got a punchy feel, but one downside is the fan is very noisy.

I have the Mk1 and can confirm it is a cracking little amp. It has been completely reliable and produces a really dynamic sound out of the box. The various push buttons all produce useful sounds if you like that sort of thing. The fact that it has an iPod symbol next to the aux in rather gives the game away that they haven't really changed anything other than the chicken head knobs. Is an iPod the new retro?

The biggest downside is that fan, it is really noisy in a small practice room even if it is easily drowned out on a live stage.

• Like 1

I'm using the Minimax 600 as my main gigging amp. I love the sounds I can get from it. The mid shift button alters the frequency at which the mid tone knob is centred - 250hz or 600hz. I find the bass 'punch' good for adding a little bass at low volume and I like the effect of the 'Kosmos' button (the manual says it adds harmonics to tighten the bass without adding watt-sapping bass frequencies). Built in tuner which mutes the amp when engaged. As has been mentioned above, the fan is noisy. But for me at gigging and rehearsal volumes, it's not a problem. I've used the DI a couple of times and have had no problems. The last gig I used it at I was competing with three guitarists, a keyboard player and drums and going through a pair of TE 1x10 cabs. Gain was about 9-10 o'clock and volume about midday - no problems.

I wish they'd put in some footswitch options for the tuner and boost channel though.

• Like 1

I had one as a backup but never needed to use it. I sold it to a bass player mate a few months back. There were the following issues that we found on it's first outing where i was depping on guitar with his band.

1. Noisy fan, but you's never hear that on a gig.
  2. Strange noise from the DI output, we changed cables, mixer channels etc but it was always there like a high frequency whistle. 

In the end i resolved the noisy DI by giving him an old DI box to use instead and he is happy.

• 1 year later...

I have one, and I'm really really pleased with it.

Re the mid range control, I find it's very good. I know what you mean about having a high and low mids control - but I find it quite controllable with what it has. The mid shift button can work well too, depending on the venue. 

I've got 3 different cabs, and choose which one, or which pair to use, depending on size of venue, and what set-up I need.

I play in 5 different bands (and sometimes a folk club "jam") and play either bass guitar or upright or electric upright through it, and I can always get the sound I want, with the controls it has.

It's plenty loud enough, the low end is particularly impressive, in that it is well defined, and clear. I'm using 10" speakers with it, as I find these work well with upright.

I was happy with my MB Evo1 dual channel head - but now I choose the Peavey every time. For doubling up gigs, I now use the Peavey and my Stanley Clarke acoustic A,B Y pedal.

Not sure where you're based, but you'd be welcome to try mine.

Yes, the fan is a tad noisy - but I never hear it when I'm playing. My only regret is that I wish I'd discovered it sooner. 

Is it worth the money? Hell yes. Is it worth twice the money? Hell yes. I can't understand why it's as inexpensive as it is.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

I don't use mine much nowadays as I've gone in-ears and no back line for most gigs. However it remains an amp which kills all the reservations/fears/superstitions about class D. It has a great sound out of the box and a really solid warm bass as full as you like and a match for any amp. The tone controls are really flexible and the fan noise is the only obvious minus point.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback on this amp, I still didn't buy one - but possibly will in the new year .

I have an old MAX450 in the shed which has Mid and Midshift Freq controls and has been a decent "leave at studio" rehearsal type amp.

I've always been impressed with Peavey amps EQ control and their tone flexibility, Peavy amps and cabs weight and bulk/size was always the issue for me so the MINI MAX seems like  a good option. 

Neil 

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 18.07.38.png

Edited by orangepeelneil

For information:

I've been playing around with my Minimax 600 and my recently purchased Zoom B6. I wanted to bypass the pre-amp of the Minimax so I plugged the B6 directly into the effects loop return. At first there was no sound but after some fiddling I found that although the tone and boost section of the pre-amp is, indeed, bypassed, the volume control remains active and can be used to adjust the output volume as normal. I couldn't find any reference to this in the manual and it isn't how I expected it to work - my Laney RB7's effects loop return bypasses all the pre-amp controls straight to the (full volume) power amp. Volume control then comes from the unit feeding into the return socket.

The Minimax way of doing it makes it much easier to use and adjust while playing.

• Like 1

To my mind that's the obvious way to do things. You always need a way to quieten an amplifier otherwise any sudden large signal would push the power amp section to full volume which could lead to speaker damage. The vast majority of stereo power amps have level controls for each channel. 

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1