Why become a member? ×

Fender precision bass 1976 no sound

Mikel07

Out of covers I can’t see any issue with coil wire.

im looking at ordering Fender Original Vintage Precision Bass Pickups. £85 here in uk and come mounted on moulding so just needs two wires attached.

think I will have a look at rewiring  the old pickup somewhere.

I’ll let you know how it goes when they arrive…..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mikel07 said:

Out of covers I can’t see any issue with coil wire.

im looking at ordering Fender Original Vintage Precision Bass Pickups. £85 here in uk and come mounted on moulding so just needs two wires attached.

think I will have a look at rewiring  the old pickup somewhere.

I’ll let you know how it goes when they arrive…..

This is a mighty fine replacement. I have this pickup in my fretless P bass. It sounds really excellent. Keep the old pickups though, maybe send them away for a rewind. I've used Aaron Armstrong (son of legend, Kent Armstrong) with great sucess

• Like 2

5 hours ago, police squad said:

This is a mighty fine replacement. I have this pickup in my fretless P bass. It sounds really excellent. Keep the old pickups though, maybe send them away for a rewind. I've used Aaron Armstrong (son of legend, Kent Armstrong) with great success

+1 for Armstrongs. Many years ago, the pickups on my old J bass were sounding well past their best. I sent them to Kent (who was then running the firm) and told him to do whatever was needed - including rewinding - to get them back up to par. He returned them with a note saying he'd checked the readings, which were fine and that they just needed hot waxxing to get the air out of them, for which he charged me a very small sum. They could have rewound them and I would have been perfectly happy to pay, so kudos to them for only doing what was needed and saving me money.

• Like 2

I remember Kent Armstrong making a back pickup for me in the late '90s, I wanted to get more output but the original was an awkward bespoke shape (5 string jazz type). He moulded the original pickup casing and put the new pickup in. Nice job, visually indistinguishable from the original with more output.

Alas, further down the line I realised that what I really wanted for a fretless bridge pickup, is a humbucker.

I had a very similar issue with my 1971 Precision, one side of the pickup died during lockdown, just randomly (as they do):

I considered replacing the pickup and leaving the original.....well..."original". But I came to the conclusion of 'why leave something original if it's ultimately useless'. 

So I had Aaron Armstrong rewind it to vintage spec, cost was around half of a new pickup (as only one side needed doing), if the other coil also needs rewinding, you're looking at a similar cost to a new pickup.

I would highly highly recommend Aaron Armstrong.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mikel07 said:

Huge Thankyou to everyone for their help. Faulty pickups replaced and bass back working once again. Going to need a bit of setup, but back playing and sounding great.

mike5076906C-DF48-413D-BF78-4E6F5D895934.thumb.jpeg.519584e993c7cae36b94bb84b7f56ece.jpeg

Very nice, glad you got it sorted, just curious, do you notice much difference in sound with your changed pickups 

I'd send the old pickup to someone like Aaron Armstrong or Bare Knuckle Pickups so that the faulty winding can be rewound to the correct specification. I'm not sure a 76 would be hand scatterwound as that was an era when Fender production was fully mechanised. A skilled modern winder should be able to replicate the original method.

• Like 1