Why become a member? ×

Does the world need another bass player ?

thunderbird13

Sorry I'm new to this board and I'll get round to proper introductions later on but I wanted to have a rant and perhaps get some advice. I'm 40 years old now and about eight months ago I picked up bass again after a 10 year break and started going over my old books and lessons. Just before Christmas I decided that I was good enough to begin playing with people , this is where my troubles began. I started looking in Gumtree and from that I've had 2 auditions one of which was a total shambles as the band didnt have anything prepared and couldnt even jam the blues in C ! and the other was a prog rock covers band which I didnt get cause the rest of the band didnt think I was a big enough Yes fan. The rest of the time if I do see an advert that i'm interested in then either the band rehearse at weird times or they are so bad at communicating by email that it takes 2 or 3 mails to find out where they rehearse and what music they play and by that stage I've gotten bored with them. TBH I 'm at the point where I feel like giving up I was never that gifted and with all the practice in the world I'll only ever be an average player ( obviously thats my opinion only and I should go to a teacher to get an objective opinion).Playing bass is something which I enjoy but if the cons outweigh the pros then whats the point and as i say in the title does the world need another bass player ?
Do other people have similar experiences to me and if so how did they get around it ?

Hey, welcome to the forum :).

I know how you feel, I've had emails from bands asking me to jam but when I reply they aren't able to give useful information. Some seem to expect me to be crawling over broken glass to join them and quit my job to tour the world or something. Most I weed out very easily by asking lots of questions, doesn't take long to see if they're organised.

95% of my playing time is alone nowadays.

That's just the way forming and joining bands happens. 99% of the people you meet are hopeless d*cks, and that's usually because 99% of people who reckon they're musicians are just hopeless d*cks.

Keep at it long enough and you'll find the right people. Or you'll get impatient, like I did, and form your own band.

I am very average as a bass player (can keep time and pump out 16th notes but thats about it) and went through same experiences as you did a few years ago, when I was 40.

Eventually found a band via Forming Bands after a bunch of similarly disheartening rehearsals and an even longer list of rejections without try-out on grounds of my age ("sorry mate but we're all 19-21 and want to go to the pub drinking every Friday and Saturday night and we don't think you will fit in" etc). I have ended up in a band of 40-something punks who all get on well.

TBH band chemistry is WAY more important than skills.

What sort of a band are you after?

It might be an idea to put your own advert up, saying you're looking for musicians for a new project. Be fairly specific, but realistic about what you can expect. If you put up an advert asking for blues guitarists aged between 30 and 50 (or beyond), you should get loads of responses... some will be from people who can actually play.

[quote name='Clarky' post='469621' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:20 PM']I am very average as a bass player (can keep time and pump out 16th notes but thats about it) and went through same experiences as you did a few years ago, when I was 40.

Eventually found a band via Forming Bands after a bunch of similarly disheartening rehearsals and an even longer list of rejections without try-out on grounds of my age ("sorry mate but we're all 19-21 and want to go to the pub drinking every Friday and Saturday night and we don't think you will fit in" etc). I have ended up in a band of 40-something punks who all get on well.

TBH band chemistry is WAY more important than skills.[/quote]

Yeah Clarky is totally right. Band chemistry almost gives you a sixth sense.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='469627' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:32 PM']Yeah Clarky is totally right. Band chemistry almost gives you a sixth sense.[/quote]

+1

Its much more important to have fun with people you get on with..

I really agree about starting your own band too - going to auditions with unsuitable bands is just so horrible!

Just scour the pages for drummers and guitarists who are also looking for bands. Gumtree and Joinmyband.co.uk worked pretty well for me.

James

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='469613' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:07 PM']....I decided that I was good enough to begin playing with people , this is where my troubles began. I started looking in Gumtree and from that I've had 2 auditions one of which was a total shambles as the band didnt have anything prepared and couldnt even jam the blues in C ! and the other was a prog rock covers band which I didnt get cause the rest of the band didnt think I was a big enough Yes fan....[/quote]
He, he.... 10 years away and you come back to discover, nothing changes!! Never mind talent, I think after luck, resilience is the quality you need most to succeed in the world of bands. Stick with it, you'll find a band worth fighting for!

Thanks for the advice - Totally agree with the chemistry thing - I've been in some bands where it just clicks even if I dont like the people I'm playing with.I suppose the stuff I would to play would be classic rock either original stuff of covers and I'm genuinely suprised that I havent found anyone in my age group that wants to play this stuff. I thought the interent would be full of bedroom players wanting to get out there and do it . I have put out adverts on Gumtree which have got a total of 4 responses nonoe of which were any good

[quote name='Clarky' post='469621' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:20 PM']TBH band chemistry is WAY more important than skills.[/quote]

+1,000,000

I'm more looking forward to the backstage banter rather than the actual playing for this Saturday's gig! In my opinion, this playing music palaver just gets in the way... :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='469613' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:07 PM']Sorry I'm new to this board and I'll get round to proper introductions later on but I wanted to have a rant and perhaps get some advice. I'm 40 years old now and about eight months ago I picked up bass again after a 10 year break and started going over my old books and lessons. Just before Christmas I decided that I was good enough to begin playing with people , this is where my troubles began. I started looking in Gumtree and from that I've had 2 auditions one of which was a total shambles as the band didnt have anything prepared and couldnt even jam the blues in C ! and the other was a prog rock covers band which I didnt get cause the rest of the band didnt think I was a big enough Yes fan. The rest of the time if I do see an advert that i'm interested in then either the band rehearse at weird times or they are so bad at communicating by email that it takes 2 or 3 mails to find out where they rehearse and what music they play and by that stage I've gotten bored with them. TBH I 'm at the point where I feel like giving up I was never that gifted and with all the practice in the world I'll only ever be an average player ( obviously thats my opinion only and I should go to a teacher to get an objective opinion).Playing bass is something which I enjoy but if the cons outweigh the pros then whats the point and as i say in the title does the world need another bass player ?
Do other people have similar experiences to me and if so how did they get around it ?[/quote]

Hi

I know what you mean! I think you have to make up some kind of list and then try and look at it objectively. If you want to audition and gig then you might want to consider:

1. What sort of music do you like playing - blues, classic rock, Motown, Ska etc?
2. Do you have at least 30+ of classic songs from one of the above genres in your fingertips?
3. What sort of music are you willing to play in order to go gigging - i.e. the genres you don't much care for?
4. Do you have at least 30+ of classic songs from the genres you don't much care for in your fingertips?
5. If you don't have the songs in your fingers, can you practice enough on your own to get them there?
6. Lessons! - nothing like a good teacher/encourager!
7. Go to jam nights in your local pub and get involved.
8. Don't give up! - just making music with some mates in a rented out scout hut might be enough to sate your musical expression as long as the chemistry is right.

Hope this helps - not all of it might apply to you!

[quote name='Clarky' post='469621' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:20 PM']TBH band chemistry is WAY more important than skills.[/quote]
+ another.. some of the bands I dep with that get the most re-bookings are not the ones with tecnical prowess.
Hey.. look at Oasis! :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='469623' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:24 PM']It might be an idea to put your own advert up, saying you're looking for musicians for a new project. Be fairly specific, but realistic about what you can expect. If you put up an advert asking for blues guitarists aged between 30 and 50 (or beyond), you should get loads of responses... some will be from people who can actually play.[/quote]
Fine idea.. Carpe Diem!

Don't be downhearted; as someone said years ago - if you're a bassist and can play in time you'll always find a gig.

[quote name='Hamster' post='469659' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:08 PM']Hi

7. Go to jam nights in your local pub and get involved.
8. Don't give up! - just making music with some mates in a rented out scout hut might be enough to sate your musical expression as long as the chemistry is right.

Hope this helps - not all of it might apply to you![/quote]
'Networking', as it's called these days, is not to be underestimated. Jam sessions are a brill way of playing with others without the pressure of 'being in a band'

If someone says nice things about your playing, don't be afraid to tell them you're available even for odd stand-in gigs.

Bands are very much like marriages! HARDER maybe! At least in a marriage you (normally!) have only 2 opinions battling each other.
You have to get that chemistry right or you're doomed aren't you..... Who wants to jam with folk they can't stand to look at let alone be onstage with them?
Then there's all that ego BS......yawn!

Don't give up matey. I have had a few breaks in playing and when it all comes together, you'll be glad you kept going.

Course, there's nothing wrong with playing with yourself - I've been doing it for years!! :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='469623' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:24 PM']What sort of a band are you after?

It might be an idea to put your own advert up, saying you're looking for musicians for a new project. Be fairly specific, but realistic about what you can expect. If you put up an advert asking for blues guitarists aged between 30 and 50 (or beyond), you should get loads of responses... some will be from people who can actually play.[/quote]

Just doing that myself.
Advert on gumtree has netted a sum total of 3 replies. but, because I was VERY specific about all the important stuff, they are all on the same page as us and sound good, so far anyway, auditions start tomorrow :)

However doing that will mean [b]you[/b] are starting a band and that means everyone will look to you for all the non playing stuff like set choices, organising rehearsals, getting gigs , hiring or buyimng a PA, Lights, and all the money management ..... You may like that stuff but you may preper option B:

Put up an advert saying you are looking to join a band and detail your skills, avalability, age, attitude, desired frequency of playing and prefrence for music types.
Something like:

Bass Player available, 45, just back from a 10 year breeding break looking to join a band who rehearse weeknights and who aim to play gigs a few times a month. I like blues, rock, soul and Shirley Bassy. Not adverse to a bit of punk or young people's music as long as it rocks.
Own gear, transport, hair and sence of humour. Non-alcoholic.

The more specific you are the better the matches will be....

[quote name='hubrad' post='469665' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:15 PM']Don't be downhearted; as someone said years ago - if you're a bassist and can play in time you'll always find a gig.[/quote]

And you don't even have to be able to play in time for some bands/genres.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='469676' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:34 PM']Isn't that the same as a Jam night?

I know of at least a dozen bands that have been formed from the local Jam nights around my area...[/quote]

Yeah, Jam nights are great for many things when you get back into it - having a go in front of people again, getting known in the area and networking for possible band mates.

Sus them out for a few weeks before volunteering unless you are very confident or know the organiser. Sometimes you can't hear a thing on stage - you can't hear the vocals or guitar or whatever to follow and the jammers often have no idea how to help out a struggling bass player trying to play some Blink 182 tune he's never heard before :) (I know !!!) .. Takes a bit of getting used to, that, but if you saw the guy play the same thing last week you have a chance, especially if took notes of what was played and went home and learned them off youtube or spotify
:rolleyes:

Work out who's running it and say hello.
Some organisers make up scratch bands on the spot to play some 12 bar or other well known song and some have house bands only and some have a series of complete bands or solo singer/guitarist with little opening for bass players on their own.

Other than that there may be a night class around for blues playing or even jazz.

Also bass tutors know loads of people so get a few lessons and hook into the network.