Why become a member? ×

Does the world need another bass player ?

thunderbird13

From one mediocre bass player to another - keep at it until you find the spark. Nothing better than connecting with a band of guys and making some noise. Even mediocre noise! Ever since I moved from bedroom to ballroom I have felt like I found a small bit of me that has been missing all these years.

Pin a card in music shop board?

Yes TB the world needs bass players, when bands are forming there are always two dozen guitarists and never any drummers and bassists. Often a guitarist gets a short straw and is 'lumbered' with 'bass duties'.

Problem you are finding is typical. Bands advertising are either kids wanting to be the next Green Day or pros wanting someone who can tour Sweden for two months. This is part the reason Weekend Warriors schemes are springing up. See if a guitar shop near you isn't running one. You pay for 6 weekly rehearsals and then at the end you share a stage at some dive for a half hour set. Band members are usually matched according to musical preferences and the looming gig gives the new entity a real sense of purpose/desperation. Results are often surprisingly good. WW schemes are always crying out for willing bass players.

Most instruments are social, they require others to play with. Instruments like guitar, violin and piano that can hold the stage alone are uncommon. Even then I bet the lone performer would really like to have company. So keep on at it. Put up an ad and make it clear you want to have a bit of fun playing covers, should get you calls from like-minded chaps.

Edited by cytania