Which amp to keep and which to sell?

ReeV0

Which should I keep?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I keep?

• TC RH750
    • Genzler Magellan 800

Hi all,

I've got two amps (one main and one backup) but I can only keep one due to money reasons. So one of them needs to go. Trouble is, I genuinely can't decide which one to get rid of! They are, in my opinion, both excellent.

So... thought I'd get some other opinions as to which one I should keep and which one should get the ebay treatment :D Which should I keep, the TC RH750 or Genzler Magellan 800?

20221103_184135.thumb.jpg.c215e55875a76c62da59f1e85fc63257.jpg

20221103_184158.thumb.jpg.c4fcb0112dc6b4c6bb483d6c655b7798.jpg

Edited by ReeV0

1 hour ago, ReeV0 said:

Hi all,

I've got two amps (one main and one backup) but I can only keep one due to money reasons. So one of them needs to go. Trouble is, I genuinely can't decide which one to get rid of! They are, in my opinion, both excellent.

So... thought I'd get some other opinions as to which one I should keep and which one should get the ebay treatment :D Which should I keep, the TC RH750 or Genzler Magellan 800?

20221103_184135.thumb.jpg.c215e55875a76c62da59f1e85fc63257.jpg

20221103_184158.thumb.jpg.c4fcb0112dc6b4c6bb483d6c655b7798.jpg

I've owned and gigged both models before and know them well. I still have a Genzler amp although I gig with in ear monitors these days so don't get to use it in anger often. Personally I'd keep the Genzler, it's the bigger and punchier sounding of the two and is the more versatile. But it's also probably going to fetch a lot more than the TC so if there's a financial consideration then maybe sell the Genzler and keep the TC. 

Well I just got back from rehearsal where I really pushed both amps, and I did notice a difference. The Genzler was louder, but the power amp started to noticably distort when pushed hard. The TC on the other hand remained relatively clean throughout, but was quieter (I assume this was the Active Power Management at work)

8 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Well I just got back from rehearsal where I really pushed both amps, and I did notice a difference. The Genzler was louder, but the power amp started to noticably distort when pushed hard. The TC on the other hand remained relatively clean throughout, but was quieter (I assume this was the Active Power Management at work)

That's a bit worrying especially as I have both the 350 and 800 watt versions of the amp and never had this even with the 350, it's never come close to it sounding like it was struggling even with loud drummers. But I have a few questions to clarify what was happening. 

Was the clip light flickering on the input gain for the clean channel? It's a red LED that lights up if you overload the input, and if you're overloading it constantly it will produce a nasty distortion. If it is, just dial back the clean volume control until it stops flickering or lights up very occasionally. 

Had you got the drive channel engaged? Not that the drive channel gets unpleasant even at full gain!

What speakers were you using? Your own or something in a rehearsal room that could possibly have had years of prior abuse? 

And the 800 is an obscenely loud amp, what situation are you in where you need to push the power amp that hard???

Just trying to figure out if the amp is potentially faulty or if it's something else 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Osiris said:

That's a bit worrying especially as I have both the 350 and 800 watt versions of the amp and never had this even with the 350, it's never come close to it sounding like it was struggling even with loud drummers. But I have a few questions to clarify what was happening. 

Just trying to figure out if the amp is potentially faulty or if it's something else 😉

I see @chris_b  has already engaged his agent to negotiate the price 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Osiris said:

Was the clip light flickering on the input gain for the clean channel? It's a red LED that lights up if you overload the input, and if you're overloading it constantly it will produce a nasty distortion. If it is, just dial back the clean volume control until it stops flickering or lights up very occasionally. 

Had you got the drive channel engaged? Not that the drive channel gets unpleasant even at full gain!

What speakers were you using? Your own or something in a rehearsal room that could possibly have had years of prior abuse? 

And the 800 is an obscenely loud amp, what situation are you in where you need to push the power amp that hard???

Was running through the clean channel, clip light was only occasionally flickering when really thumping the E string. Was using a Barefaced BB2

30 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Was running through the clean channel, clip light was only occasionally flickering when really thumping the E string. Was using a Barefaced BB2

Sounds like you have the gain set right, but try backing it off a bit next time and turning up the master volume. I don't think I've ever had the master above 9 o'clock on mine, if so not my much, and it was really loud - as it more than loud enough for most situations - and I'd expect it to be just as loud if not louder through a BB2. 

Are you using an active bass with the lows boosted by any chance? Or using a big bass boost on the amp, including pre-shape A? Or anything like a filter pedal that's pushing huge low end spikes through to the amp?

Failing that it sounds like the amp may possibly have developed an issue.