Why become a member? ×

Critique my playing. Please. Headphones are a must.

bubinga5

Im not asking anyone to blow smoke up my derrière, Im aware there are some very accomplished musicians on BC. Im just asking for some honest reviews. Its a cover from Bruno Mars/Anderson Pakk's Fly as Me of course. I never seem to play what the original bassist plays and you may be able to tell if you now the original. I tend to add my funkiness if that is possible. Im putting some vids out there to see if I can get some work as a semi pro bass player. Anyways any negatives or positives are welcome. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

• bubinga5 changed the title to Critique my playing. Please. Headphones are a must.

So my personal view which is exactly that and can be ignored is this, very nicely played, a few timing issues but very nice nevertheless. My suggestion though is to look at the attack and articulation of your notes. It's a funky track and your playing wasn't snappy or popping enough to match the track. I'd push a little more, make the initial attack of each note more aggressive and then kill the note sooner, not let it sustain so much. Ghost notes or damping might help with that. Still great playing though so well done.

• Like 2

Anyone else notice the doggy getting baked at 1:00? He certainly looks rather happy with himself after a couple of puffs!

I echo Linus27s comment; lovely playing, nice touch, great timing - I'd like to see you throw a bit more at it. Have confidence that you can play it 'correctly' - free yourself up to chuck yourself around a bit more and make it yours. 

Thanks for sharing

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

...get some work as a semi pro bass player. Anyways any negatives or positives are welcome...

No problems with that, as a semi-pro bass player that's very respectable. It would 'warm up' somewhat on stage, 'live', with the stage ambience and standing, moving around, 'swinging', if you like, so the 'stilted' nature seen here is because you're siting down in your bedroom, that's all. I'd be happy with anyone playing like that in any band I was in (and I've played, as a semi-pro and a pro, back then, with far, far worse bass players...). Have confidence; you're doing fine. Sock it to 'em. :friends:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

So my personal view which is exactly that and can be ignored is this, very nicely played, a few timing issues but very nice nevertheless. My suggestion though is to look at the attack and articulation of your notes. It's a funky track and your playing wasn't snappy or popping enough to match the track. I'd push a little more, make the initial attack of each note more aggressive and then kill the note sooner, not let it sustain so much. Ghost notes or damping might help with that. Still great playing though so well done.

I think the same, just maybe, some notes was with too small sustain. But....pretty nice done. Keep on covering.

• Like 1

Thanks soo much for the feedback. I just sat down and played, so didnt really think too much about my timing or fills etc. I would never record like that, im way too OCD.  Im reading all the comments and absorbing them all. So thank you. Oh and the Dachshund was just bored I wasn't playing tug the sock with him. 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linus27 said:

My suggestion though is to look at the attack and articulation of your notes.

Bass playing is a long way from being my musical speciality, but I noticed something along these lines, too. Sometimes the notes feel like you really mean them, other times the notes feel more dutiful. If you could hit that maximum intensity of intention, knowing exactly how you're articulating each note, and why.......

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Bass playing is a long way from being my musical speciality, but I noticed something along these lines, too. Sometimes the notes feel like you really mean them, other times the notes feel more dutiful. If you could hit that maximum intensity of intention, knowing exactly how you're articulating each note, and why.......

Keep in mind I have no compression involved.Im sure most know what compression can add to the bass.. I hit notes that I feel need accentuating. I may be missing the point here but hey ho I will certainly take that on board and positively so. Hmm compression pedals.    🤔.

36 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Keep in mind I have no compression involved.Im sure most know what compression can add to the bass.. I hit notes that I feel need accentuating. I may be missing the point here but hey ho I will certainly take that on board and positively so. Hmm compression pedals.    🤔.

I'm not sure that that's a correct interpretation. it's not so much the accentuation of the notes as the attention given to them. I'd repeat a little of what I typed above : if you were playing this on stage, with other musicians, you would be more 'in the zone', engaged, 'being' the bassist. In your bedroom, where you've probably played this same piece (and others...) a certain number of times, on or off camera, there's a quite understandable lack of engagement. In itself, it's not an issue, until this attitude, rather than the playing itself, becomes second nature. The fire and fury, the 'drive', the 'in your face' aspect is missing, and a compressor pedal won't bring that out at all. Try playing in front of a mirror, standing, and go though the (OK, embarrassing...) movements of a 'killer' bassist (KISS..? Rush..? Not Entwistle..! :lol: ) just for the craic, for kicks, over-acting it. Don't act like that for an audition, of course, if that's not your personality, but a little of the 'spark' should become integrated into your musical routines if you're to stride out onto that (OK, tiny pub...) stage and play with conviction.

There, hope that helps. No need to grime up with clownish make-up, though, if that's not really your 'thing'..! 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not sure that that's a correct interpretation. it's not so much the accentuation of the notes as the attention given to them. I'd repeat a little of what I typed above : if you were playing this on stage, with other musicians, you would be more 'in the zone', engaged, 'being' the bassist. In your bedroom, where you've probably played this same piece (and others...) a certain number of times, on or off camera, there's a quite understandable lack of engagement. In itself, it's not an issue, until this attitude, rather than the playing itself, becomes second nature. The fire and fury, the 'drive', the 'in your face' aspect is missing, and a compressor pedal won't bring that out at all. Try playing in front of a mirror, standing, and go though the (OK, embarrassing...) movements of a 'killer' bassist (KISS..? Rush..? Not Entwistle..! :lol: ) just for the craic, for kicks, over-acting it. Don't act like that for an audition, of course, if that's not your personality, but a little of the 'spark' should become integrated into your musical routines if you're to stride out onto that (OK, tiny pub...) stage and play with conviction.

There, hope that helps. No need to grime up with clownish make-up, though, if that's not really your 'thing'..! 9_9

I gotcha. Ive only played that record once before so my playing probably wasn't as tight as it may have been if I had played it 20 times. but I get what your saying.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Its what I love I love about Bass Chat. You will get a very nuanced balanced opinion. Put the vid on FaceBook. "oh thats amazing Andrew"(usually my sister) 😂 deep down im my worst critique. I guess most musicians are like that.

6 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Its what I love I love about Bass Chat. You will get a very nuanced balanced opinion. Put the vid on FaceBook. "oh thats amazing Andrew"(usually my sister) 😂 deep down im my worst critique. I guess most musicians are like that.

Dad3353’s a drummer!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, I agree with this, it's not the lack of a compressor pedal and you also can't hide behind a compressor pedal. A lot of funky bassists don't use compression pedals. If I was to be brutal in my critique, it's like you are playing too laid back or in a lazy fashion which is losing you the attack of the notes, the snap and pop of each note. You need to attack them hard and then kill them quickly. Don't play the notes like James Jamerson, play them like Bernard Edwards, you're not giving us a warm cuddle but more of a slap around the face.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I didn't say, there's a variation of intensity, I said there's a variation of intensity of intention. I'm wondering how else I could put it....

Some notes sound like their articulation is exactly what you intended; other notes sound less focussed - they arrive in the right place, they fit in nicely enough, but there's less sense that their articulation is deliberate.

Raising the level of intention of every note to the quality you're already achieving on some of them is, by definition, something you can do any time you choose to, and is something that will make a big difference.

(PS I wrote that before going on to read how the conversation had developed, so apologies for kinda repeating what others have said.)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 2

I liked what I heard. Loved the tone you had. I felt at times you were not quite sure how you were going to deal with some parts but if you have only played it once before you are far better than you are showing us. Which I thought was very effective bye the way.

If I was at a gig listening to you I would be very happy about what I was hearing

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

The problem is your right hand technique, work on alternating, or try and do it the hard way...

I think i do alternate if your talking about walking fingers.? Thats the way i taught my self it may have evolved.  Not sure what yo mean by the the hard way.? Do you mean James Jamerson.?

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

I liked what I heard. Loved the tone you had. I felt at times you were not quite sure how you were going to deal with some parts but if you have only played it once before you are far better than you are showing us. Which I thought was very effective bye the way.

If I was at a gig listening to you I would be very happy about what I was hearing

Bless you. Your correct. I hesitate because im not sure exactly what would groove best. I personally love playing that way. I have to think on the fly. I think thats good for any musician.