Why become a member? ×

Another thread about finding a smaller, lighter cab...

goonerjoe

I’ll set the scene first… my current band is myself, one very loud guitarist (2x12 valve amp), one very loud drummer. Currently playing a Precision through a Mk 1 Orange TB500, using one of the studio’s many 4x10 cabs. Heavy rock/punk/surf – it’s a bit of a mix but it’s mainly filth.

However, our rehearsal studio is closing down and our new space has no backline. I have a hefty Ashdown 4x10 in my garage, it sounds fine but is so heavy and the thought of parking and lugging the thing all over Oxfordshire for rehearsals and gigs isn’t great. In short, I need something smaller and lighter that can get loud. Tone isn’t too important as I change my mind about it every other day – I just need enough volume on tap. In an ideal world I can see myself with a bass on my back, amp in one hand, cab in another – a one trip wonder, if you will.

I have narrowed it down to two options – Barefaced Big Baby or 2 x Orange OBC112.

I’ve heard/read that one BB would be enough, but I can’t help but be sceptical, especially at the volumes I’m currently playing at. For gigs it probably wouldn’t be an issue as I’m usually DI’d, but I’m reluctant to spend £1k+ on something that may not have enough headroom. The Big Twin looks a little too large for me, even if it is light. Barefaced Big Baby owners - can it really do everything it claims to?

On the other hand, the Orange 112’s look awesome and are a bit cheaper, but I will lose the One Trip Wonder aspect that I so crave. I’m confident two of these would give me more than enough power though. Has anyone tried/owned two OBC112's - what did you think of them?

Yes, I realise I’m coming from a very narrow/simplified POV, so any further suggestions/advice are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You could buy a trolley for your Ashdown 410.

You could also email Barefaced. They will tell you if a BB2 will be sufficient. They won't spin you a line. If the cab doesn't perform you can send it back for a full refund within the first 30 days.

If you haven't already, make sure you have bought some highly effective hearing protection. Please don't skimp on the ear plugs.

• Like 1

It sounds like you want the headroom.  
I have a BF Supertwin and I don’t think I’ve ever got it out of 2nd gear, and that’s against a loud drummer and two guitars.   I’ve never felt it lacking either without a tweeter.   Quite small and light as a feather.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

If you haven't already, make sure you have bought some highly effective hearing protection. Please don't skimp on the ear plugs.

This

I can say from bitter experience that hearing loss is no fun at all and may one day end your bass playing altogether.

I have the very first LFSys Silverstone 001. I'm lucky enough to be a friend of the designer (through BassChat) and helped test out the cabs in development. It's now my gigging cab. It sounds great, really clean sounding and very much what you put in is what you get out. I've tried it next to the BB2 and they are both great cabs but the Silverstone has the edge in the midrange and top end for me. To be fair the BB2 is lighter, a real triumph in that area but the Silverstone is still a lightweight and an easy one handed lift for me (I'm a not very big 70 year old) and probably a 1/3 to 1/4 of the Ashdown depending upon which one it is.

Where the Silverstone scores is over audibility. It doesn't have to be pointing straight at you for you to hear what you are playing clearly. That's down to the cleanliness and strength of the mid-range and the attention paid to the off axis response. It has a real quality horn flare and a PA quality compression driver. It's also several hundred pounds cheaper than the Barefaced. There's an offer of free carriage or a half price cover for BassChat  members.

• Like 1

I’ve got a pair of BB2’s but I’ve only had the chance to gig them singly. I’d say one of them would be ample. I recently picked up a Schroeder 1212L. It’s a small 2 x 12 with tweeter and one of the drivers is angled at 45 degrees to save space. It’s almost as small as a BB2 and only marginally heavier. I got mine SH as part of a deal but equivalent to £150. I got to say I’m blown away by it. I used it when we played at A New Day Festival and honestly preferred it to the Ampeg 8x10 I used the following night. It’s got a low mid hump baked in so it doesn’t sound great in isolation, but in a band mix it really cuts through. I’ll be using my BB2’s on Friday week at a local theatre gig, not cos I need to, just because I can, but I can honestly see me moving the BF stuff on in the future as I’m loving this Schroeder so much!. If you could find one of these schroeders for a similar price you’d be laughing!

• Like 3

I recently got one of the new design BB3's.

I too, was completely skeptical of the claims Barefaced make with regards to them, thinking they couldn't possibly be that good. In short - they are.

You can trust them. It's absolute witchcraft how loud and low this thing can go. 

It goes louder and lower than the Vanderkley MNT210's I had, and both the Hartke and Ashdown 4x10s at my rehearsal rooms (a good comparison as you see these sorts of cabs fairly often on the circuit).

Unless you're doing huge outdoor gigs (when you would or should be in a PA anyway) there is no situation where a BB3 doesn't cut it.

With super clear tone and great off-axis projection they sound incredible too. Also, weighing just 12kg, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cab design has undergone such incredible advances in the last dozen years.

One reason I signed up here was to learn a little more about amp and cab options that are not common here in Eastern Canada. And from what I’ve read , If I was in the UK , I’d try and visit Barefaced. And I’d buy a cab or two.