Why become a member? ×

NS EUB - 4 or 5

Woodinblack

Well, there was a NS NXL 4 at the bass bash that I went to last week, and they truly are a thing of beauty. I am not particularly interested in actual double basses, even if there was any possibility I had space for one of those in my house.

So now I am quite keen on getting one.

There aren't that many second hand ones around at the moment, apart from the more expensive CR types (and from places where VAT is required), but I could stretch to a new Wav4 or Wav5.

I never really thought about the idea of a 5 string db, but having seen them and what with the fact I only play 5 string basses, I thought that might be a good idea.

Obviously if I get second hand I am restricted to what is around, but buying new there isn't that much of a price difference between them.

Has anyone thought about the difference between 4 and 5 string in a double bass?

I never considered anything else. I've only had 5 strings since the late 80s when I was a yoof. Everything I'd written and played on for others in the intervening years involved all 5 strings, so I felt I had to. I bought the WAV 5, and then a 5 string DB (yeah... You will you know🤣).

The B string on the WAV is glorious. Muting it however was a massive pain in the derrière to start with, bass guitar techniques don't cut it for that. But, like anything else you figure it out eventually. I don't think I have any regrets. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Makes sense - i keep buying 4 string basses and selling them shortly afterwards, just seems like something is missing!

If you're accustomed to 5 strings, there is something missing. I guess it all depends on what kind of stuff you play too. I've no doubt a 4 string would be a little more manageable in some ways, but like anything else, you figure out a way to make it work. 

Nothing, but nothing beats a low B on an upright or, even better, a double bass. 👍

I have an NS NXT 5 and love playing it. I am less enamoured with its sound, in that my (4-string) Eminence sounds better to my ears, and has the option of being audible when played unplugged, but if you have no desire to go fully acoustic on a double bass or similar at this stage, an NS is a thing of beauty and it's an absolute joy to play. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/10/2022 at 18:45, Woodinblack said:

I never really thought about the idea of a 5 string db, but having seen them and what with the fact I only play 5 string basses, I thought that might be a good idea.

Obviously if I get second hand I am restricted to what is around, but buying new there isn't that much of a price difference between them.

Has anyone thought about the difference between 4 and 5 string in a double bass?

I'd love an EUB. It'd be a bit of a waste of money though as none of my current gigs are even remotely suitable, and it'd be a lot of cash to splash on just a toy. I play mostly 5s and have done since 1997, so I'd go straight for a 5.

While we are discussing it, different strings make a HUGE difference. I had a pupil who had one with ******** strings on it. I honestly cannot remember what they were, but they were proper Arco classical strings and the warm tone could have solved the national heating crisis we are running into. 

Sadly, DB strings are mind bendingly expensive so experimenting is very scary. NS stuff come with NS strings which are great for what they do but seem like long flatwound bass guitar strings. DB strings are made very differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I'd love an EUB. It'd be a bit of a waste of money though as none of my current gigs are even remotely suitable, and it'd be a lot of cash to splash on just a toy. I play mostly 5s and have done since 1997, so I'd go straight for a 5.

Well, same here, I play covers and pop stuff in pubs, no point in having a DB, but I big fat bought one anyway, and a lot of fun it is. I went for the 5, and I am glad I did - I guess it is because of the length of the strings on the NS EUBs and the thuddyness of it but the 5th string is very much the same as the 4th string, but lower, IYSWIM - there is no difference between the 5th.. fret on the 5th string and the open of the 4th.

Hopefuly one day I can drag it out to something - find a group that wants to play love cats or something!

1 hour ago, Owen said:

Sadly, DB strings are mind bendingly expensive so experimenting is very scary. NS stuff come with NS strings which are great for what they do but seem like long flatwound bass guitar strings. DB strings are made very differently. 

I got the original strings, and some others that were on it. Haven't tried anythinng different, as you say there is not much chance of doing so at those prices, especially on a 5 string, as the 5th string on its own costs the same as a set of bass strings.

There are suprisingly few 5-string double basses in the world ... combined with a suprisingly large number of orchestral bass parts that go below bottom E.  Beats me.  I guess the reason is that even the 4-string bass is a fairly recent thing, many old basses having been built as 3-string basses.  Whilst you can make a lovely antique 3-string into a 4-string, making it into a 5 would be a stretch too far ... hence not many nice old 5-strings about; and hence 4-strings with those ugly (IMHO) extensions.  Plus most parts don't go below bottom E and sometimes you really need to lay in to those low notes that no-one else in the orchestra can reach (tuba and contra-bassoon excepted).

Something I've noticed about those few double bassists that play 5-strings is that they don't play them like a 5-string electric bass, they mostly play in first position using the B string to get notes below E ... whereas on a 5-string electric you'd likely play a 4th up and get the advantage of a shorter scale whilst still getting a low E and a range up to Eflat without changing position.  Better tone I think.

Owen's 5-string NS was a thing of wonder though, so especially if you're going to pluck rather than bow, go 5 if you can find one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NickA said:

Whilst you can make a lovely antique 3-string into a 4-string, making it into a 5 would be a stretch too far ...

My DB was originally a 3 string which made a succseful journey through 4dom to 5dom.

You are not wrong about my NS! The only problem with it was that I stopped travelling far enough to make carrying my DB an issue so stopped using the NS. Overseas gigs - those were the days :(

My old KK EUB was a five and I had absolutely no use for the low B in a southern rock/alt country/bluegrass setting (yep quite a mash up 😂) other than for occasional dramatic effect.

If I ever (likely) go back down the EUB road I’ll be sticking to 4 strings and probably like you considering a stand mounted NS or going the whole hog with a proper acoustic dB.

I've got a NS NXT5 - my wife and mother-in-law palled up and got it for my birthday last December.

I'd only played an upright on a couple of occasions prior to this; it's a curious thing, there was this desire to explore upright basses at some point and I went with the 5-string, because hell, why not?  I played it a lot for the first few months - then April time we had the builders in, so it got difficult to play, then I tore something in my knee (operation) and standing for long periods is still painful, so it's been a bit neglected of late.

Had a noodle this morning and don't think I've really lost anything from the first few months experience with it (except maybe the callouses on my fingers).  It's the only bass or any sort that I have out at the moment.

On 10/11/2022 at 23:17, Owen said:

My DB was originally a 3 string which made a succseful journey through 4dom to 5dom.

Wow. Did they need to change the neck? If not it must have had a super wide string spacing when new?

I was told mine had originally been a 3, but I see no sign of a conversion.  I reckon it was built as a 4 back in 1880 something; but it would still make a very close spaced 5 ( and need a new fingerboard due to having one of those Romberg bevels under the E).

Aha! I see what you mean now. Yes, I had a new neck put on it. I was hankering after a 5 so did the rounds of various shops. Frankly I could not match the money being asked for basses with what I was feeling when I played them. So I had a new neck put on the bass I was given for nothing. 

• Like 1

I have a WAV-4 (which hasn't been played for ages) and at one time I had an Ergo 5. For some reason, I couldn't get on with 5 strings - don't know whether it was the Ergo bit or the 5 bit that was the problem. I play 5-string so it's not a mental problem. I'm tempted to go to an Omnibass but I'd need to try a 5 out to see if I could get on with it.

New neck .. Good move!  I think most 3 to 4 conversions they just squeezed an extra string in and changed the nut. You see some strange goings on in peg boxes where an extra peg has been forced in. Sometimes one string even has a non matching tuner. 

All this variety just adds to the charm of double basses 😁

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

I have a WAV-4 (which hasn't been played for ages) and at one time I had an Ergo 5. For some reason, I couldn't get on with 5 strings - don't know whether it was the Ergo bit or the 5 bit that was the problem. I play 5-string so it's not a mental problem. I'm tempted to go to an Omnibass but I'd need to try a 5 out to see if I could get on with it.

I had a fretted Omni 5 and it was lovely. If I had a brain I would still have it.