Why become a member? ×

Bass wah

SteveXFR

Most standard guitar wahs will remove the guts of your tone when you tread on them. There are bass specific wahs but, like the Dunlop, they tend to affect a particular set of frequencies rather than the full sweep of a guitar wah.

A notable exception is the Ibanez Weeping Demon - it has guitar and bass settings, but even with the guitar setting you can keep the low end thanks to the EQ control. The guitar setting SCREAMS with bass, and with a fuzz is instant Cliff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Some more details. I'll mostly be using it for the odd solo part so losing a little bottom end won't be a big problem. I'll be using an overdrive with it.

Must have read your mind 😄

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

A notable exception is the Ibanez Weeping Demon - it has guitar and bass settings, but even with the guitar setting you can keep the low end thanks to the EQ control. The guitar setting SCREAMS with bass, and with a fuzz is instant Cliff.

I think I'll check that out. Thanks 

• Like 1

I had a weeping demon years ago, apart from taking up a bit of real estate it was a brilliant wah. Great to be able to dial in exactly what I wanted and the ability to be switched or switchless was brilliant. Used to use it with a  muff for the burton-esque type thing. 

only reason I don’t have one now is I went down the parapedal style wah type which suits the style of music I play a bit more. (Wilson Freaker Wah)

Every so often I look at getting another one but can’t justify having two wahs on my board. 

Edited by Wilson_51_

On 08/10/2022 at 18:44, SteveXFR said:

Some more details. I'll mostly be using it for the odd solo part so losing a little bottom end won't be a big problem. I'll be using an overdrive with it.

I’d also have a look at the EHX crying bass wah. Has a built in fuzz and LPF. Sounds great and is pretty cheap too. Had the Dunlop bass wah. Looks great, very heavy but the sound was just ok IMO. 

Edited by pbasspecial

Not sure if you play guitar as well and that's why the question, but a guitarist I played with for a while used a Dunlop mini bass Wah on guitar and it sounded great. I've used the full sized unit and though big and heavy it's got a great range to it and is dead easy to use. I've now got an AMT Bass Wah that needs a good click press down on the toe to turn it on (unlike the Dunlop that just reads your mind) but still sounds pretty good with three different settings. I'll try my AMT bass Wah with guitar in the next few days now, I'm curious. A guitar wah robbing the lows would affect your solos IMO and make you sound like you're at the bottom of a tin lined well so you'd be best off with something that retains the bottom end and keeps the thickness and presence to your notes.

I've had quite a few bass wah pedals.

My favourite by far is the G-Labs Wo-wee-wah. It's large and heavy, but very adjustable and touch-activated with no noticeable delay, unlike others I had (The Ibanez Weeping Demon was not bad in that respect and the delay was adjustable, good sounding too). I haven't seen these much around (had mine for about 10 years) so I'm not sure how easy to find they are. 

I use mine alone and also together with overdrive/fuzz and/or octave, sometimes phaser too. That gets pretty synth-like and can be a lot of fun.

Here is MarloweDK doing a nice demo.

For guitar I've recently been using a Hotone Soul Press II which I really like. It's a dual wah/volume pedal that can also be used as an expression pedal and it's small, but not too small (some of the small ones, like the AMT ones I find a little too small even for my size 8 shoes). Really good sounding and reasonably adjustable. I have never tried mine with bass but I've read about others liking it.