Why become a member? ×

October festival of compositional challenge.

lurksalot

Well done to @upside downer on his excellent win in September, he has been forthcoming with his choice of image and has a few words of explanation to accompany it..

"This bizarre spectacle is all part of the El Colacho Baby Jumping Festival where newborn children that have been baptised need to have their original sin cleansed. The costumed man represents the devil and, as he jumps over the babies, the idea is that their sin will stick to him and be removed from them.

No babies were harmed in the preparation of this photo 😁"

Bizarre indeed , I suspect that 'bizarre' will be right on topic for one of our eccentrics :D 

image.png.7db70c6c186d10e8cf80849716e8528d.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No  Bagpipes. The Autumnal Equinox truce has duly expired . Panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Monday  24th October.

Before closing off just a reminder that come December we traditionally have turkey a cover song challenge, so get your thinking caps on for a song to  choose, or even get started on.

Have fun 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here is my contribution to the October 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by one of the previous winners: Upside Downer.
The tiny tots have not yet learned (been told...) about the Law of Physics and the Real World. Nothing, to them, is impossible, or even odd...
Another MDrummer track for the percussion, the instruments are an Asper synth pad and Augmented Strings.  Voices are all synthetic, using EmVoice and on-line Text To Speech samples, Little treatment, other than a bit of compression/EQ on the voices (and a dab of delay on one...), and my standard Reaper NY Glue on the Master tracks, as usual. The whole thing is in 9/8, just for fun.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Here's the spoken text...

As long as they believe. 
I'll be in the airs. 
Keeping just above
Their innocent stares. 
As long as they believe.

As long as they believe. 
Newton's laws have ended. 
Hovering above. 
Gravity suspended. 
As long as they believe. 

They believe I can fly. 
They believe I can touch the sky. 
They believe I can soar. 
They believe in me and so much more. 

As long as they believe.
I'll be overhead. 
Floating here above
The little ones in bed. 
As long as they believe. 

As long as they believe. 
Up here I shall remain
As I levitate above. 
Although it seems insane. 
As long as they believe. 

They believe I can fly. 
They believe I can touch the sky. 
They believe I can soar. 
They believe in me and so much more. 

As long as they believe
As long as they believe.
As long as they believe. 
As long as they believe. . 

• Like 5

As soon as I saw the photo I thought, it could be tragic! Hence, we have a jazzy musing on Chopin's piano cover of Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic"...

Bass is the trusty Wal.... Drums programmed through EZ and Addictive with some brush sounds off Loopcloud - horns cut up from there as well. Guitar is a Strat through Bias FX and keys are electric grand by Addictive keys. I hadn't played the Chopin bit for probably 40 years when I was learning it for grade 7!

• Like 5

Some crackers already!

I'll be skipping this round, which is a pity given the brilliant pic. It's been a chaotic month, and we're off to sunnier climes for the rest of it, which scuppers the idea of a last minute dash to pull my ideas together.

I shall of course be logging in, wine in hand, and having a chilled listening and voting session in the sun... I hope!🤣

I'm in.  I started with a vocal line "I saw the Devil in the street, He wore Addidas upon his feet", and then junked that and came up with some Neo classical rock nonsense.  Part Carmina Burana, part Diary of a Madman and mostly an example of why I should have stuck to bass rather than playing lead guitar.  Enjoy, or not.

• Like 4

Here's mine. Had some issues with equipment but I'm off on holiday tomorrow so this is it.

A devilishly diabolical ditty with angular guitar, stuttering yet throbbing bass, minimalist insistent drums and a vocal style somewhere between a Fisher Price Elvis Presley and a poor man's Johnny Cash.

Low tech gear check - unbranded 5 string guitar in open G tuning for rhythm, Epiphone Gibson Special for jerky guitar sounds and solo, el cheapo Spider bass, Hydrogen open source drum machine, Roland cube amp, Apogee mic+ and recorded with Wavepad and Audacity.

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 4

On 20/10/2022 at 17:43, Nicko said:

I'm in.  I started with a vocal line "I saw the Devil in the street, He wore Addidas upon his feet", and then junked that …

Ah , well , that’s where I came from , but ran with it ….da bum tish 

I do have an update to do, as I have had some authentic input , oh yes. I just need to bed them in to the mix over the weekend and I’ll re-post it 

On 16/10/2022 at 19:56, lurksalot said:

I'm in with a silly bolt it together type of thing . minimal lyrics , but probably still too many :D

samples stitched from my piano that can be told to play itself! then some Uke overthe top to pretend I can play spanish guitar :lol:

updated with some real Spanish (and many thanks) from resident speaker @mcnach  :sun_bespectacled:

• Thanks 1