Why become a member? ×

How to find a drummer? Central Scotland

Thunderpaws

Hiya everyone. 

So, band has been going for over ten years (we’re mid forties) We are all friends and have just finished writing and recording our third self made album. We are dedicated hobbiests, rather than a band looking to make it. We play a handful of live shows a year. 

Our drummer has decided to look for a covers band and earn some money for drumming duties so has decided to leave us. 

Having a look around the usual websites following a Google search and direct messages some of the more likely contenders and nothing back at all.

Any suggestions on finding a drummer in any other way?  

It’s a tough one. Drummers and singers seem the hardest to replace.

Here’s three ways bands I’ve been in have tackled it. Each has its own challenges, pros and cons.

1. Do without a drummer. Use a drum machine. 
2. Someone in the band retrains as a drummer. Tip - it always seems possible to find a guitarist 😉

3. Approach local colleges. This has to be done carefully with tact, but my current covers band found a really enthusiastic 17 year old drummer this way. She’s now joined the police and stepped back from gigging due to shifts but we got two great years. 

Good luck with your search. Drummers who are not already over-committed are tough to find where I live, which is the densely populated Derby/Notts M1 corridor.

9 hours ago, Len_derby said:

It’s a tough one. Drummers and singers seem the hardest to replace.

Here’s three ways bands I’ve been in have tackled it. Each has its own challenges, pros and cons.

1. Do without a drummer. Use a drum machine. 
2. Someone in the band retrains as a drummer. Tip - it always seems possible to find a guitarist 😉

3. Approach local colleges. This has to be done carefully with tact, but my current covers band found a really enthusiastic 17 year old drummer this way. She’s now joined the police and stepped back from gigging due to shifts but we got two great years. 

Good luck with your search. Drummers who are not already over-committed are tough to find where I live, which is the densely populated Derby/Notts M1 corridor.

Stewart Copeland has left the Police.....?

• Haha 1

I used 'joinmyband.co.uk' with some good success.

I put an ad out as an available bassist, met two guitarists, then we put an ad out for a wanted drummer, found one within a week and did the same for a vocalist. So within 3 weeks we got a full new band together which is so far working quite nicely! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Thanks 1

Finding a drummer is easy, finding a good drummer who isn`t already in 4 other bands, not so easy. If you are on facebook try the Musicians available in central Scotland or Gumtree. Strange as it may seem, I seem to do ok finding people from Gumtree. Once you sieve out the nutters!

Good luck man.

• Thanks 1

Why can't he do both? I'm in two bands with my drummer and that's when he's not off doing misc side bands from time to time.

We're in a very similar position - one originals band which gigs occasionally and writes songs and a rock covers band which gigs much more frequently. They rarely clash and at times it's been helpful for the originals band to be able to borrow PA etc. on rare occasions where they play places with no house backline.

Edited by neepheid

I've had recent success with Joinmyband. We advertised there and had 10 replies. two only wanted to dep and we auditioned five, the other three couldn't make it on the day but were serious possibilities. All had played with previous gigging bands. Two turned out to be exceptional. I've always struggled to find drummers in the past so maybe we just lucked out or maybe there are a shortage of gigging bands. 

Your problem is going to be lack of gigs, there aren't many drummers who just want rehearsals with a couple of gigs a year. I've never found a drummer who actually enjoys rehearsal but maybe that's unlucky.

The trick I think is careful wording of any ad. Be clear in what you want and don't want, and what you have to offer in return. We have a six year history of paid gigs roughly every other week apart from covid and dates already in the diary which helps. We didn't want anyone without experience so we asked for links to their bands and video/recordings. We met some very nice people and it was a shame we had to choose just one.

The best places to look for a drummer:

There may be one sleeping on your couch. Or up under your girlfriend. 

Drummers are kinda like that. 

Or you could go to a place that has practice studios, wait for one to get thirsty, then knock him out by slamming the toilet seat down on his head, throw him in your trunk and take him home. 

Edited by Bi Amp Bass Player