Why become a member? ×

Ugly Basses

Rib13Bass

Have to say i dont actually have a sunburst bass ........ at the moment.

Just wondering if you tend to return to the colour and style of basses that were popular when you started out.

Members of a certain age (obviously me) will return to those glorious days of sunburst / tort Fender basses. 

I have to admit after trying WoT's early P bass i now have a hankering for one.

Dave

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The desire for every other finish but sunburst / tort is just a passing fad. You will eventually come back to the classic finish that we all love eventually :laugh1:.

Its tradition and we all love tradition. 😂

You just dont realise it yet :crigon_04:

Dave

Ah, you mean a proper upright bass. And you're not wrong about that!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

I'm not gonna make any friends saying this... but Rickenbackers are truly hideous! At a retail price of £5499 for this 90th anniversary 4005XC I would be getting a doctor to check for signs of insanity if I saw someone buy one!

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front.jpg

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front[2].jpg

I don't mind the look of them. The price on the other hand, even for a standard model, is absolutely ridiculous! 

• Like 1

Have to agree that the Ric 4005 isn't a bass i like the look off but i am a fan of the 4003 shape.

I've not owned a Ric since 80's but i'm guessing they are still as good if not better quality than many Fender basses at same price tag.

Dont know enough about Ric basses to comment on whether they are all good quality or like Fender have some poorer basses.

On the subject of Ric basses i was surprised to see them For Sale again on BC. When did that happen ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to agree that the Ric 4005 isn't a bass i like the look off but i am a fan of the 4003 shape.

I've not owned a Ric since 80's but i'm guessing they are still as good if not better quality than many Fender basses at same price tag.

Dave

I'm sure the quality is great, but realistically looking at the market of new basses right now. The Ric is £5500, and lets be fair, limits the user on the gigs they can play. An american Jazz bass is around £2000 which is still far too much for such a standard instrument but that would be useable on 90% of gigs, and it doesn't look like a child drew it for their parent to stick on their fridge!

Edited by Tim2291
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

I'm not gonna make any friends saying this... but Rickenbackers are truly hideous! At a retail price of £5499 for this 90th anniversary 4005XC I would be getting a doctor to check for signs of insanity if I saw someone buy one!

I'm inclined to agree. I'm aware of their significance and legions of fans, but I just can't stand the look or sound of ricks and I'm not keen on the sound they make either. The only redeeming feature I can think of is Rick'o'sound, a version of which found its way into the Yamaha Attitude.

14 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

An american Jazz bass is around £2000 which is still far too much for such a standard instrument but that would be useable on 90% of gigs, and it doesn't look like a child drew it for their parent to stick on their fridge!

Honestly I am sure that if a child did draw one, it would look more like a fender because it is roundy and simple. Probably more a P though.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

I'm sure the quality is great, but realistically looking at the market of new basses right now. The Ric is £5500, and lets be fair, limits the user on the gigs they can play. An american Jazz bass is around £2000 which is still far too much for such a standard instrument but that would be useable on 90% of gigs, and it doesn't look like a child drew it for their parent to stick on their fridge!

Sorry Tim maybe just the way i worded it but i was comparing a 4003 to a £2k Fender. Not the hideous 4005 at £5.5k. 

No way i would pay over £5k for any bass let alone a Ric.

Unless you are an absolute Ric fanatic, who is gonna spend that on a Ric bass. ?

Maybe a Ric collector with lots of money ?

Not me.

Dave

• Like 1