Why become a member? ×

Are these any good?

Lionel Ritch Tea

Just bought a 2013 Japanese Fender Jazz with the PJ pickup configuration. I'm sure they're decent, but I'm getting the buyer's fear. I pick it up on Saturday. Any thoughts?

Should I upgrade the pickups?

I thought it was perfect for someone who likes the P bass sound but prefers the Jazz shape and neck.

I'd love to know anyone's thoughts.

Screenshot_20220822-181848_eBay.jpg

Edited by Lionel Ritch Tea

Don't go into it thinking "what should I upgrade?"

Upgrades should only be a consideration if you have played it for a while and found something to be deficient.

Japanese Fenders are generally superb. Play it for a while and get to know it. Only then decode if you need to mutilate it.

• Like 6

I agree with the very sensible comments above, I used to think about upgrades before even buying sometimes, but invariably left them as is. With Fenders I've only ever had to stop hums or noise, none of them ever needed anything replacing. Get the bass and play it for a good while, then, as @Crawford13 says if you like it then think about any deficiencies, if you don't like it, sell it on unmodified. Important to remember modified basses have a lesser resale value and are more difficult to sell.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice... I like Jazz PJ's here are my Bitsa with Kent Armstrongs and Modded Aria Pro with Entwistles...

The only thing on yours I might change are the Strat Knobs for Jazz... and wire VBT...

1560925638_JBd.thumb.jpg.3162dc66a46c61df138dc4ed62beeae9.jpg

JazzEntPJ.thumb.jpg.532a965027f5b0b92721774d69e6a99f.jpg

Entwistle P pickups sound so sexy, and are so inexpensive, I'm sure they must be illegal in some way. One of the best rock or blues P pickups for any money IMHO.

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice... I like Jazz PJ's here are my Bitsa with Kent Armstrongs and Modded Aria Pro with Entwistles...

The only thing on yours I might change are the Strat Knobs for Jazz... and wire VBT...

I quite like the strat nobs. Makes it a little different 

• Like 1

Nice basses! 

I agree re: the VBT controls. Personally I'd keep the Strat knobs but I'd get a black control plate to match the pickguard. As far as the pickups are concerned, I would echo what others have said. Give the stock ones a good trial and only change if you really feel they're lacking. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lionel Ritch Tea said:

. . . . Any thoughts?

Lots but I'll stick to this. . . . you've owned this bass for all of 3 days and you're asking us what mods you should be doing!!!

If you don't like it, send it back and buy something that you do like!

• Like 1

You beat me to it, I was watching this myself on eBay, but I obviously hesitated too long. 😉

If I had bought it, I doubt I would have done anything to it because I used to own a Japanese Precision and it was superb in every way.

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1