Why become a member? ×

Audition

KevB

This is a new one for me...
After being in the wilderness for a few months I'm up for audition tomorrow. Now I find out they're not just auditioning me but a new drummer *at the same time* Anyone had this experience? If the timing goes astray how do they know which one of us is screwing up? Also having given me 8 songs to learn there was a flippant ps at the end saying that they might not be in the original keys but the person contacting me didn't now which were the actual keys they played them in (must be the snger I guess!) Sounds like fun...

yeah i had similar experience years ago fortuntely for me the drummer was quite good. only bit of advice i could give really re the different keys is to obviously learn them in key they are supposed to be in then when they decide to change the key just take a few mins to think about the transposition and not rush it. as for timing i think they will be able to tell if its the drummer. another interesting one was auditioning for a band without the drummer on a thursday and then gigging with them on the saturday. man that was scary!!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='465272' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:30 PM']I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

S.P.[/quote]

Not necessarily, I say definitely give it a go. You may just lock-in with the drummer, you never know.
Plus, if the the band are a reasonable bunch, & understand the importance of bass player - drummer relationships; they should at least allow you both at least a few goes to tighten-up.
Sounds like fun & quite a unique experience - hope you enjoy it whichever way it goes.
Good luck too!

Edited by nick

[quote name='KevB' post='465267' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:27 PM']This is a new one for me...
.... flippant ps at the end saying that they might not be in the original keys but the person contacting me didn't now which were the actual keys they played them in (must be the snger I guess!) Sounds like fun...[/quote]

Uh...oh...just read that bit. Had this happen a couple of times myself. :)

well said nick thats also a good tip alun never thought of that one. the way i transpose on the spot is not to concentrate on the notes so much but to think of the shapes my fingers make on the fret board. not exactley text book but its always worked for me

[quote name='jbwaddy' post='465293' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:47 PM']well said nick thats also a good tip alun never thought of that one. the way i transpose on the spot is not to concentrate on the notes so much but to think of the shapes my fingers make on the fret board. not exactley text book but its always worked for me[/quote]

Indeed ..
Remember you are auditioning them as well and get the drummer's number in case you and he are great and the rest are rubbish ... :)

Linus27 just went through this so there's a long thread about auditioning
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=45632&view=findpost&p=453206"]here...[/url]

Thanks for the tips guys. I usually try to learn stuff without open strings anyway if at all possible. I'm hoping they haven't mucked about with the tunings so much, one song is in drop D so I'm taking a 2nd bass I can pick up without even detuning my main bass, assuming they haven't changed the key on that one! It's mostly straightforward but none of them are songs I've ever played 'for real' before so it's just an added worry really. The one that hasn't stuck too well in my mind is Green Day's 'Holiday', I'll be OK if they do it in original key but if it's been changed around a lot it'll be a pain to transpose on the fly. It'll be an experience anyway...

If the band aren't sure whick keys they play numbers in, it does sound like you either got the message from the vocalist, or they're sh*t. If I were auditioning another musician, I think it would only be fair to offer as much info as possible. Do they want you to have problems on the night? The drummer thing is a tad weird. If you're looking to replace a whole rhythym section, you'd think that they'd find a bassplayer who knows a competent drummer or vice-versa so they come as a team. Best of luck with this one and if you're not too hot at transposing "on the fly" you can always save face by calling the vocalist a w***er for not being able to reach the original keys and walk out.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='465536' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:09 PM']If it was me they'd have failed the audition already. If you're going to do something, do it properly and giving a song list without keys is not doing it properly. I'd ask for the keys & reschedule if it takes them a while to reply. Life's too short to make up for other peoples' laziness.[/quote]

I agree.

Whether you can transpose on the spot or not is not really the point. The point is that they are auditioning a full rhythm section at once, meaning if the drummer is not up to scratch or hasn't learned the songs, you're pretty much on your own, as well as trying to work out what key they are playing each song in, since they appear unable to tell you.

They appear to be unable to communicate as a band and ask their guitarist to provide you with some simple information to get the most from the audition. If this is how they conduct just an audition, how will they operate as a band? Booking gigs? Organising and arranging stuff?

If you set the tone from the getgo that you expect a bit of basic professionalism then how they respond will speak volumes.

Edited by AM1

I auditioned with a drummer once & we got on really well.

Unfortunately we both got bounced from the audition because we supported a different football team from the lead guitarist / vocalist - I kid you not!

The audition went well, drummer & I clicked from the outset. We were both well prepared and knew the songs and the guitarist threw a couple of his own compositions at us that we handled pretty well without too much fuss.

We seemed to get on well were nattering away as we packed up our gear & he asked for our numbers and said he'd phone us both the next day. As we were leaving I noticed he had a Spurs scarf in his car so I asked (in a very casual way) whether he was a big Spurs fan or not. Without hesitation he replied "why, don't tell me you're an Arsenal fan?". I said that I was actually a season ticket holder & he immediately turned on the drummer & said he supposed he must be a Chelsea fan then - to which the drummer replied that, as it happened, he was indeed a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge.

I should stress that all of this was done without any piss taking from me or the drummer or any comments about Spurs but the guy obviously took major offence at us. He gave us both a half-hearted reply & slammed his car door & zoomed off.

Needless to say we never heard from him again. . .

Well as it turned out I probably knew the 8 songs at least as well as the 2 guitarists anyway after 2 nights learning them (could hardly hear them anyway). Band had 2 singers but only 1 was available and didn't normally sing most of the songs I was asked to learn. Most of the alternate keys were just 1 step down so mostly easy to transpose. I thought they were generally a bit disorganised so I've turned them down before being given a verdict either way. They were auditioning another bass player anyway so they can let him have it, seemed more trouble than it was worth for me.

[quote name='KevB' post='466255' date='Apr 18 2009, 05:21 PM']Well as it turned out I probably knew the 8 songs at least as well as the 2 guitarists anyway after 2 nights learning them (could hardly hear them anyway). Band had 2 singers but only 1 was available and didn't normally sing most of the songs I was asked to learn. Most of the alternate keys were just 1 step down so mostly easy to transpose. I thought they were generally a bit disorganised so I've turned them down before being given a verdict either way. They were auditioning another bass player anyway so they can let him have it, seemed more trouble than it was worth for me.[/quote]
You've done the right thing. Hang in there, the right band will come along.

I was once asked to an audition with another bass player, at the same time. First song, the keyboard player and main man didn't know the difference between B minor and G major 7th and wasn't impressed to have it pointed out in front of the rest of the band. I walked away from that one with no regrets.