Why become a member? ×

Looking for a strong but lightweight bass flight case

jazzyvee

Looking for some recommendations.  It looks like my band could be touring soon. I'm looking for recommendations for strong, protective and but lightweight,( if possible), flight cases for a heavy alembic bass. Currently I have a traditional aluminium and plywood case which weighs a ton and a lightweight Aluminium Scott Dixon flight case which is fine but is quite a snug fit and not enough padding around the bass for me to feel comfortable with it being thrown in and out of vans etc without damage to the bass. I plan to speak to Scott dixon to see what newer stuff they have but I have wondered about the carbon fibre cases too.  I see classical musicians mainly using them though not seen any for electric basses. Has anyone got any real world experience of them and are they as strong and protective as they are claimed to be?

I guess they will be expensive too.

Edited by jazzyvee

When we toured I used Hiscox cases (also used them for going in the hold on planes), they certainly protect the instruments and in comparison to the Fender hard cases seem a lot stronger as often you see Fender cases with damage, not so often with Hiscox.

Yeah, Hiscox would be my first choice, but nothings going to protect it as well as a "proper" fitted flight case I think.

I had a Packhorse flight for my Warwick thumb that was responsible for it's fair share of shoulder injuries, but that bass travelled for years without a scratch.

The Hiscox that came with the ACG is a great unit though, plenty of protection for the usual bumps, but I don't think it'd survive being run over by the van.

Edited by WinterMute
typo

Would the hard foam cases be suitable? I used one of these with my Warwicks back in the big PA in a big van days and it was as good as any regular hard case while being incredibly light. Unless you're flying then I'd just use one of those if weight is an issue.

Mine was a Warwick branded rectangular one which was huge but you can get less cumbersome designs now.

I'd have a look at the SKB iSeries 5014-OP - superb cases and some of the best that I've seen - not light but not as heavy as a full flight case.  The body width of some Alembics might be a problem (they won't take a small-bodied standard for example).  Other very good options are Calton (though very expensive) and Enki

SKB bass safe, if you want the option to put a bass in a gig bag within a protective shell. I have one and it's seems bombproof although I've not used it in anger. I have used the SKB 44 bass case a couple of times over the years for a transatlantic journey. Went in the hold, via usual baggage handlers, and came out the other side unscathed.

I've always liked the look of the Bass Safe, though finding an appropriate bag for a larger Alembic can be a bit of an issue.  Here's the link to the Calton site:

https://www.calton-cases.com/shop/bass-guitar-cases/alembic-guitars-bass/

The company lists some Alembic models, though I'm sure that they'll build to fit any bass.  Products are clearly aimed at the pro (classical?) and affluent semi-pro/collector, with UK prices not far short of £2k.  Perhaps weirdly, the company started life in Aldershot, though production is all US-based now.  I think I'd be looking at the higher-end SKB options, or Peli if you can find one to fit - some of the larger rifle cases may take a larger bass.  I use a Peli case for outboard and it's superbly well-built  

4 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

The short video on the front page of the Calton site is worth watching.

Suddenly £2k seems not unreasonable!

hahaha, I hadn't seen that.  I'd agree, if you're a touring pro with an expensive bass, and flights, crew, trucks etc. to take into account, £2k might be good value (when tax benefits are taken into account, possibly a bargain!?)

Another +1 for the SKB iSeries if you can get a hold of one.  After airlines damaged 3 consecutive Hiscox cases over the years (the last being the more protective Pro II model) I upgraded to the SKB. No damage so far after 30+ odd flights aside from a missing pressure adjustment knob last week!  The SKB is bulkier and heavier than the Hiscox making it a bit less flexible for fitting in vehicles, though the wheels offset the weight for trekking about airports etc.

Saying that, my guitarist has always used a much less expensive hard foam moulded style case for his Telecaster in the hold, and he's never had any damage!  I'm way too risk averse for that approach with my bass though 😆

• Like 1