Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot stuff

Paul S

Yes, I am chuffed to bits. To be honest it was a little out of my price range - potentially a [i]lot [/i]out of my price range. But in the end no-one else bid so I got them for £650 which I reckon for a whole new rig of that quality is a steal.

Well, hopefully. I'll report back once I have put it through it's paces a bit.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='467462' date='Apr 21 2009, 01:03 AM']I think this is very generalised bias but for what it's worth.

Trace used to build things up to a quality in the early days - slowly they started building down to a price. By the time anything came in a furry cabinet it was utter rubbish that WILL fall to pieces in a gigging environment. I hear better things about the current range but I'm loath to bother trying it. I'd much rather pick up some old series 6 stuff - my fave - for a good price , have it checked out by a sparky and proceed with confidence. I found sounds I like easy to get , functions I actually used and I couldn't break it. That's all I require from amplification - to do its job while I crack on with mine.[/quote]

Yeah , just picked up an older Series 6 AH200 for next to nothing , it has the green and red vol knob covers missing , a few graphic sliders broken off but still working , the front decal is peeling off and a couple of input front nuts missing ..... I LOVE IT ! sounds monstrous and performs well . A keeper !

[quote name='Dr.Dave' date='Apr 20 2009, 02:03 PM' post='467462']
I think this is very generalised bias but for what it's worth.

". By the time anything came in a furry cabinet it was utter rubbish that WILL fall to pieces in a gigging environment. "

I don't agree with this at all.

I've gigged with a furry 1x15 combo that had lived in a cold damp garage all its life and was totally sound throughout.
The 300w 1x15 is all you need for pub gigs.

The furry finish shouldn't put a prospective buyer off. IMO

I've been playing through a Trace Elliot rig for years now. I had Ashdown Electric Blue stuff before that and while it was ok at the time, it was blown away by this Trace Elliot rig. The head, a GP7SM 300, cost me £100 and the cab cost me £250. I fancy getting a Hartke head just for a change of tone but this stuff works really well - sounds incredible and never fails! It weighs a ton but it always delivers, and thats whats important to me.

I've an old Series 6 AH200 that I've rack mounted with the UV light. It's the dog bits. Loud and clear and plenty of tone. My cabs are custom but have a celestion 15" and a top cab. The sound is great and flexibility with the cabs is important. They don't weigh a ton. I've tried a full TE head and 15" cab lately at a gig and was blown away by the overall sound. If you can get the full monty go for it. There were some later smaller 15" cabs that are good. The SMX range is awesome aswell. Once you've tried them it's hard to leave them.

I played a furry GP7 SM300 1x15 combo for 8 years, no problems beyond a burst speaker due to lending it to an idiot.

I'm been using peavey-era cabs for the past couple of years. Great sound and a lot lighter than the older TE gear. The build quality isn't quite what it used to be, (the rubber feet have come loose a few times) but they are still sturdy enough for constant gigging, good speakers.

I love Trace Elliot amps, very dialled in sound if you use the preset but great if you like it. I have a GP12 300SMX head that I bought for £250 quid last year that I have as back up to an EBS fafner. I use the Trace now and again and it delivers. Its pretty much as good as the EBS, but I just find that the character of my bass comes through more in the EBS.

I have not tried the new range of amps, its just hard to justify paying £1000 quid for a new amp, when you can find an older model with a similar design for about a quarter of the price. My opinion would maybe change if I tried one, but I'm not in a hurry due already having amps that work alright.

I'm using a furry 1528 cab that's in mint condition that I got in a trade with Thornybank - absolutely love it.

I have tried a lot of his stuff and the older stuff definitely sounds better - The MK2 ( I think) combo was amazing and the GP12 SMX 4x12" cab was very underwhelming.

I briefly used a MkV AH150 into an 8ohm cab so it would've been putting out around 90w if I had the amp up loud but I simply didn;t need it - I love those trace watts, possibly even louder than valve watts :)

Well, by way of a small update, I've been living with and using this rig since April last year and am absolutely chuffed to bits with it. It is a bit on the heavy side but worth any effort for the pleasure of using it. I am looking for a 1818 cab so I can pick and choose which to use, depending on my mood!, but the combination of 15" and 2 x 10" is brilliant. I am still finding new sounds, too, though almost always usually use the pre-shape. Also, and I know it is extremely shallow and childish to take pleasure from this, but you always get an appreciative nod of respect from sound guys when you wheel one of these out.

Here it is (well, half of it) in action last month, together with a bit of a bass face:

[attachment=55938:Stanford...030710rc.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

Was Trace only until a while back, used AH200 with a 2x10 ported wedge shaped cab (not seen the like since and wish I never had to sell it) along with a huge and wonderful 1518 (Ported 1x15). Band mates always complained about the weight and van space of the 1x15 (flightcased too, but at least that meant on wheels) but I have never played through a speaker like it since. It was an old one, even at the time - not black paint though - and the sound from the rig took years for me to ever think of even bothering to try another amp. So much floorboard rattling depth, it gave you the option of another instrument altogether if you wanted to pluck at the neck joint.

After the head was pinched, and an uninspired foray with an SWR I now use Hartke, but only because I couldn't afford Trace. Very happy with the Hartke, no reason to change now but I still look with fondness on Trace gear. Got a 4x10H still but rarely use it as its such a lump and the Hartke 2.5 does all I need for most things.

No doubt you'll have a great time with yours, yeah go for the 1818, you will find unchartered depths of bass!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='918867' date='Aug 8 2010, 05:15 PM']This may have been asked somewhere before in the mists of time, but does anyone know exactly what the frequency and boosts/cuts the pre-shape acts at?[/quote]

Its at around 55Hz and I believe around 2kHz where there is a boost, with a mid cut at around 400Hz.

Some amps from around the Kamen/Gibson era have a 'pre-shape 2' which is some kind of mid boost or something, which I think was described as a more 'rock' oriented voicing. I'm not entirely sure what exactly it is, all I know is that it doesn't that great to my ears, not because I hate mids, but that the pre-shape makes everything sound 'boxy' not at all natural sounding. I always thought that the original Trace pre-shape is about the best non-distortion/valve based rock voicings there is.

• 1 month later...

I had the old 1510x Series 6 cab with an AH300 SMC on top of it. Bloody amazing sound. Suited my Ric perfectly. Only got rid of it due to the odd dimensions of said cab! Trace is stuff I would seriously consider again (perhaps a V-Type pre for my SV.... no no no NO NO GASSSS stop it)

I have a soft spot of Trace's. They usually sound good! These days I avoid the preshape (as I also do on Ashdowns) as it sucks the mid and things can get cold and clacky.

I think all the amps are fine right up to the SMX 12 band with dual compressors.

Sure there is a certain signature sound to them but it works for rock/funk very well.

I think the pre-Gibson talk is more relevant when talking about the guitar side of things more than the bass.

I haven't experienced the newer stuff but I'm not excited by my perception of the build quality or design.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to chime in and recommend this little 715 combo, a Series-6. This is from the older, pre-SMX line.

Just got this from a local here in New England for $175 US... the Tolex and some missing superficial hardware is what brought the price down, I'm sure, but what a great deal still. I used it at rehearsal tonight, and MANG! What a (lot of) sound- with apparently no strain at all I got a warm, comfortable, clear and well-balanced sound, and filled the space easily with this tiny unit.

I'm playing my '83 Hamer Cruisebass through it and am very happy- now I get all the fuss about the Series-6 amps. Looky:

'Tis beat and well lived-in as you can see, but the sound betrays no wear on the inside. I have a small hand-truck with a strap I jigged up, and it's suddenly just too easy to get a small rig around- it's not so very heavy, but slightly awkward to carry with the side handles. But the best part is the sound. Really dig this small but potent combo.

I also have an AH250SMX, which I use through a couple Bag End 15s- great tone and an easy tote as well. But I suspect I like the sound of this little combo better, and may scope out another cab to run along with, like an 1153.

Edited by Count Bassie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thought I'd throw my views of Trace gear in to the mix ..... In short ......"I LOVE IT"
I've had a few rigs over the years and been happy with em all,the only head that I sold and didn't regret selling too much was a Series 6 "Twin Valve" head... nice sound off it but a liitle underpowered for what I was doing with it at the time.From that I bought a Series 6 AH200 with 12 band graphic,I still have this and I wouldn't part with it for any money these are cracking heads and if you keep a look out can be picked up for handy money. After this I purchased a GP12SMX pre amp and a PPA 300 power amp , I used this ass my main rig for about 10 years without any problems ,until last year ! !! 2 years ago I scaled down my cabs and bought a Markbass 104HF cab (good cab in fairness) and then last year I went for the Markbass little mark2 head and for about 6 months kidded myself it was better than my Trace (which foolishly I SOLD AHHHHH just after I bought the Mark) But I'm happy to report after using my Series 6 for a couple of months I'm well and truly back to Trace gear and about a month ago bought a newer Trace head an AH500 12band Circa 2001 so I believe its a Gibson Unit and It sounds great !
I've yet to try any of the new breed of Trace heads but wouldnt mind a look someday,To me my AH500 seems every bit of a Trace Elliot as the series 6 and it cost me just shy of 300 euro !!! They were about 1500 new !!!! Its mint condition well looked after and seviced .....and....It lights up green in the dark ! .. no other amp looks like em or sounds like em.
Thats my opinion anyway ;-)
Might even start lookin for Old Trace cabs again !!
Cheers